W-E-H-A

"Guys--"

"Shut up"

W-E-H-A-V-E-U

"Guys--"

"Keep going"

W-E-H-A-V-E-U-P-D-A-T-E-D-O-U-R-P-R-I-V-A-C-Y-P-O-L-I-C-Y

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

hippysurfer (29-05-2018),johnL (28-05-2018),Matt Donnelly (28-05-2018),oneiros (01-06-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    That's going to be an exercise in the blind leading the slightly visually impaired! On the current state of ignorance of many on GDPR I wouldn't be confident that most (let alone all) LTA's have sufficient knowledge themselves of GDPR to be able to assess someone else's knowledge! (I've already batted off two spurious requests backed by GDPR for various information etc, by pointing out to the person requesting the information that they had no justification under GDPR to hold that information, so I wasn't going to provide it!)
    Currently getting Module 25 sorted, so there'll shortly be at least one TA out there that's actually read it. Not sure who is going to be competent to assess it for me, given the number of questions I've had to answer about it from the current TAs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo62 View Post
    But we don't have a political, philosophical, religious or trade union aim. Note though that consent can be a precondition in the case of special category data, see https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations...t-appropriate/ (yoga class example)
    The Purpose as stated in Module 1 is absolutely a Philosophical Aim.
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Hmm the issue with that is in the part of the ICO website you quote, highlighted below
    You can, however, rely on Legitimate Interests, providing you also fill one of the requirements on the Special Category Data list.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,069 Times in 1,291 Posts
    i just did the toolkit test... ummm...

how do people feel about this?

You are a Group Scout Leader who needs to recruit adult volunteers for your Group. You have email addresses from most parents/carers of young people attending Cubs and Scouts in your Group, which you have from events/camps you organised last summer. It would be appropriate to send them an email asking if they would like to become a volunteer if:

(tick) They expressed interest in helping out this year

explanation : That's right. Out of these options it would only be appropriate to contact people that expressed interest in helping out, as they've shown they want to be involved.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,891 Times in 1,098 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post

You are a Group Scout Leader who needs to recruit adult volunteers for your Group. You have email addresses from most parents/carers of young people attending Cubs and Scouts in your Group, which you have from events/camps you organised last summer. It would be appropriate to send them an email asking if they would like to become a volunteer if:

explanation : That's right. Out of these options it would only be appropriate to contact people that expressed interest in helping out, as they've shown they want to be involved.

On balance, I feel it would be vanishingly unlikely that I would have collected that information and recorded it somewhere for future use.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2017 - May 2018
    http://www.jambowlree.org

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

big chris (06-06-2018)

Thanks
    the only thing i get from this is that the GSL cannot use the data collected on the camps but could use the data in OSM.

It would be legitimate use of data to ask parents to volunteer in their child's scout group, no?

Thanks
    That could be re written as...
    You have a camp/event coming up, would it only be appropriate to ask who would like to attend if..
    [tick] they had already expressed an interest to attend

Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 697 Posts
    You have email addresses from most parents/carers of young people attending Cubs and Scouts in your Group, which you have from events/camps you organised last summer
    Exactly how would that be where you got their email addresses from? You get parents email addresses when their child joins the Group not when their child goes on a camp. How else did you email them the info about the camp in the first place or get them to sign up to my.Scout on OSM?
    Last edited by shiftypete; 06-06-2018 at 07:04 PM.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    I suppose it's trying to make the point that information given for one purpose (camp) can't be used for another (asking for volunteers), which is kind of true. However, as others said, we don't do things like that, because it would be daft. We ask for contact information and keep it for everything, just asking for it to be updated. Asking the same people for the same information again and again would drive them, and us, up the wall.
    SL, 11th Hitchin

nele
    Thanks
    we expect all our parents to help out at some point and that's one of the 'scouting' purposes of collecting their contact info when the child joins.
    I also didn't think much of the question about the attendance list... I realize the list should only have names on it, but I think it could mislead someone new, who didn't know they also required an intouch /contact list at all activities. I'm wondering if the question makers think we have access to an electronic intouch list everywhere? That is certainly not the case, especially if folk are relying on a smartphone having coverage, and it not getting mislaid, broken, or run out of battery at the worst possible moment.

Thanks
    Very similar conversation that I had this week.

I have a print out of the names and contact details of the scouts inside a folder inside the register.

Should the worst happen then any adult in the know can contact people.

I am the only one in the troop that is confident in getting around OSM. I am sure the ASL and SA could find contact details eventually. But that is no good in an emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    is it a bit odd that a privacy policy template has not been produced? 10,000 groups. pretty sure it would have been useful

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

itchen (07-06-2018),richardnhunt (08-06-2018)

Thanks
    is it a bit odd that a privacy policy template has not been produced? 10,000 groups. pretty sure it would have been useful
    Probably still deciding what colour it should be.

(and no, the BPSA advice is no better, either).
    The long march through the institutions is nearly complete.

Thanks

I think they are scratching around trying to find practical examples that demonstrate a particular issue in the GDPR policy. The triviality of this example demonstrates how GDPR is really not the most important thing to worry about. Safe guarding, InTouch, ratios, dynamic risk assessments etc. are much more important.

Yes you need to do the minimum to ensure that you have a Privacy Notice but I am not going to worry about things like using a contact email address for a reason that it was not specifically collected. If a parent complains that I have emailed them about something non-camp related, using an address that they gave me for a camp, I will apologise and move on. If they complain to the ICO and make a GDPR complaint, I will settle down with a beer and watch as the frost spreads across hell before the ICO launches an investigation into our Group

Seriously, GDPR was designed to stop Facebook selling 1 billion personal profiles to advertisers. No body seriously thinks that it will be used to fine a scout group for emailing their own members (well may be some people think they will - but I certainly don't).

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hippysurfer For This Useful Post:

big chris (08-06-2018),JohnR (08-06-2018),khoomei (08-06-2018)

Thanks
    Put in the privacy notice the fact that you'll use addresses (of members' families, of course, not people who email to ask whether your Scout hut is available for hire) to ask for help.
    SL, 11th Hitchin

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011