Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Do we need modules to be able to teach YP or adults

Thanks
    Thanked 3,123 Times in 1,323 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oneiros View Post
    I was given a Yubikey for Christmas (I'd forgotten it was sitting on my Amazon wishlist). It's still sealed in its original packaging as I've not had a chance to work out what to do with it yet...
    it's handy for a few things... have a play.

also, it makes me feel a bit james bond

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    edit* Compass is a revelation... Apparently, I got my 25 year service award thingy in October last year... I have an electronic badge, I must sew it on to my electronic uniform immediately... /edit*
    As long as its on Compass you can order a real one from Scout Shops. http://shop.scouts.org.uk/p-4075-25-...oth-badge.aspx
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    Compass is a revelation... Apparently, I got my 25 year service award thingy in October last year... I have an electronic badge, I must sew it on to my electronic uniform immediately...
    https://openbadges.org/

Thanks
    It really would need to be an electronic uniform. I don't have a real one.

Nice to know the badge is there though.

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Nice to know the badge is there though.
    I guess that answers my question about if I need to worry about getting a 5yr award at St George's day.... If I was in danger, I think the 5yr badge would be showing by now.... I'm guessing that the fact that someone didn't bother checking the end date and start date when I moved from ACSL to CSL has put it back a year or two....

ACSL Start date: 10th Jan 2013, End Date: 1st Jan 2016.
    CSL Start Date: 16th April 2016..... (It's nearly two years, by heck!) no idea why that gap would be there.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nevynxxx View Post
    I guess that answers my question about if I need to worry about getting a 5yr award at St George's day.... If I was in danger, I think the 5yr badge would be showing by now.... I'm guessing that the fact that someone didn't bother checking the end date and start date when I moved from ACSL to CSL has put it back a year or two....

CSL Start Date: 16th April 2016..... (It's nearly two years, by heck!) no idea why that gap would be there.....
    Awards usually appear on Compass several months after they have been awarded to allow them to be awarded before they are published. You're not safe yet
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    Awards usually appear on Compass several months after they have been awarded to allow them to be awarded before they are published. You're not safe yet
    Oh. That mean's I need to dig out the iron doesn't it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nevynxxx View Post

I think, as a rule, they run about five years behind schedule. If there's a bun fight happening and they're short of positive news stories for the agenda, it may be fast tracked...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (06-04-2018),richardnhunt (06-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 712 Posts
    Interesting, Compass shows my 15 year award was awarded in 10th Oct 2017, when in fact I still have not been presented with it

The fact is I am missing at least 2 entire years of service anyway as Compass is missing my service at Uni (I must dig out my appointment certificate for that as proof at some point)

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

nele
    Thanks
    Apparently they're now working on a backlog as those awards weren't working on Compass for a while- so no-one was getting them. I should have got a 15 year award last August- which was actually a year late anyway. That's because they only awarded my 5 years after I'd done well over 6 as a leader, and they appeared to have counted on from then. I was also on the exec before I was a leader, but that didn't count as service at the time.

What I did receive unexpectedly last month was an award for merit. Which isn't showing on Compass as yet.

I have a couple of woodbadges to award to people- but I have to actually be at a meeting when they're there!

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,671 Times in 1,049 Posts
    a few years ago i went on holiday, all the way up to london, stayed at gilwell, visited HQ, and was told that migrating records on to compass was difficult as many records had not been updated by districts and counties. 18-24 months later this was sort of confirmed at a district meeting when GSLs were told that some records had been mislaid (lost!) and as a result they were going back over records making corrections and filling holes wherever possible.

if you were someone who had a seamless service record - once a CSL always a CSL - in the same group there was likely to be no problem with long service and good service records. (the latter had no problems especially in cases were the came along in regular fashion.) however, if you were a problem leader, i.e. changed roles - especially in the case where someone cancelled your existing role and then didn't seamlessly add your new role because there was a delay in appointment/approvals process - or couldn't receive a good service award - because your training record just said 'getting started' and your LTM/CTM had gone AWOL and hadn't updated your (now) complete record - there was a good chance your record was going to contain anomalies and holes.

added to this state of affairs was the fact that some older records were once held locally and not in central records, i believe. so nowadays for example section assistants are recorded centrally but 20-odd years ago they were recorded locally. Now if those records were not kept up to date or transferred when things all became centrally recorded they are generally absent from people's records (as in shifty's case about uni maybe?). i started off as a 'helper' - old name for section assistant - for 18 months but nothing is recorded on compass.

and then top it off with training records that have gone AWOL or not been updated between district and county. we once had district all arranging training and keeping records but then they migrated to county doing all training, the changeover was not seamless! locally some districts got on to it from the start and had a dedicated persons on the job. when they found an anomaly they got in touch, discussed, and sorted it out. other districts just ignored stuff or had no one working on it, especially on those who had records that traversed two or more training schemes.

luckily for quite a few places many of these awkward people with awkward records left!

i was ear-wigging a discussion after an AGM between senior district leader and a fellow GSL. they were discussing why some leader in their group had just received 20 year service award but was included in reports and stuff from 23 years ago. and also why had they received no good service awards in this time, even a chief scouts commendation? i think they agreed it was probably that they had done nothing that good! but i recall the leader doing a number of district events and competitions (he did the district hike single-handedly for a decade iirc) plus he also did other roles. the group's CSL (or ACSL, not sure) at the same time received an award for merit having done 12 years. i can't recall him standing out to the same extent. (maybe it was just his turn coming around?) or maybe someone lost the unfortunate leaders nomination stuff? i've heard that happen!

sometimes the records on compass don't logically join up. my other half got her 5 years after 4 years but 10 years after 10 years. she's been in longer than i have!

what also tends to happen is that district/county like to retain presentation of awards until an appropriate event/occasion. this can be tricky for some who prefer to excuse themselves from the DAGM for fear of over-excitement. Yes some awards have to be made on an occasion but not long service and neither too some good service, but many DC's like to wait and thus restrict themselves to just a few a year. it has not been unknown for someone to receive an award some years later. there is no excuse for this and the DC should be given a reprimand in my book. i recall a leader who got her 5 year service after 9 years, her 10 years after 14 years, her 15 years after 15 years....(she was told by HQ when asking for her 10 years that it had been sent out a month after the award date. she told me that she believed the DC had lost it.

i tend to ignore records/awards stuff, oppose any nomination, and, if i can, turn them down, but that's my personal choice. anyhow, my record is minimal as luck would have it.

TM
    going...going...still here...just

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merryweather View Post

i tend to ignore records/awards stuff, oppose any nomination, and, if i can, turn them down, but that's my personal choice. anyhow, my record is minimal as luck would have it.

TM
    I'm of the view that accurate records and a timely award scheme, consistently implemented, are a fairly simple way of recognising contributions. Thank you should be genuinely said often and big thank yous less often. Sadly our membership system makes maintaining accurate records and having seemless processes, like awards, something of a challenge *cough* such that it is highly time consuming when it should be almost trivially simple.

Really bad record keeping is nothing less than a threat to our safeguarding and safety procedures through an inability to ensure complete vetting processes and failure to give basic training.

Our basic induction admin can be so arduous at the moment that it is easy for things like recognizing prior learning to be forgotten, or even for awards to be left in the manylepiece for years. Back to the OP, if the basics were as easy as they should be then perhaps there would be more time for gradually developing our pool of training. Part of the problem is too many tasks resting in the hands of DCs who are expected to do far too much.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
    Scout Active Support Member & Webmaster
    Deep Sea Scouts National SASU

Membership Data & Engagement Support Manager
    Merseyside County Scouts

Webmaster
    St. Helens Scout District - 1st Whiston Scout Group - 1st Kirkby Scout Group

Tawd Vale Active Support Unit
    Tawd Vale Scout Camp

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt Donnelly For This Useful Post:

PaulArthurs (09-04-2018),shiftypete (09-04-2018)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678