Thread: Limited Ability Adventure

Thanks

Limited Ability Adventure

I have a Beaver who is currently being treated for leukaemia. Due to his situation, I'm having to put my thinking cap on a bit to cover some of the badges and making them work for him. My biggest struggle is the Adventure Challenge. We have covered the adventurous side of this by going off site to do a couple of fundays and a water activities day, unfortunately he was unable to attend.

I would dearly like to get him through is Bronze Award if at all possible, but this one is really foxing me. Basically, he can't get his stent in his chest wet, and this is also causing issues with stretching, so not climbing or archery which might have worked. I was planning to do fire lighting this term, but if anyone could think of other ideas, that would be great. He's also got low energy levels, so nothing too energetic.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 735 Posts
    Grass sledging and pedal go-karts are both suggested activities could he manage either of these? What about a zip wire or aerial runway?

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

Newbb (07-04-2018)

Thanks
    Would a slack line be possible? Can be strung pretty low so falling off would be more stepping off, and as its more about balance than exertion shouldn't tax his energy levels.

There's nothing to say it has to be outside - what about creating an artificial cave complex. We do this in Cubs - set all the tables and chairs out to make a corridor, cover it with tarps and turn the lights off so its dark in the cave. I haven't gone as far as to give them helmets but we have added to the effect by running a rope through the cave as a "safety line" and then using some old karabiners to clip them on to it via a belt - give them a head torch for the first run, then see if they can do it in total darkness. (If you really want to get carried away on this recneps has created some amazing cardboard caving complexes but unless you have a week of volunteer time for about 4 of you, that might be a bit ambitious).

Looking at the outdoor activities - if you have access to a wall you can "graffiti" for a while, moss painting is one I've been meaning to try - mix up some moss with some yoghurt in a blender to create a paste (which also spreads all its spores through the mixture) then paint it on the wall - keep moist and let it grow - so you could draw something or write your group name. (North facing walls are best so it doesn't dry out).
    Does anyone know what's going on?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mang21 For This Useful Post:

Newbb (07-04-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbb View Post

I would dearly like to get him through is Bronze Award if at all possible, but this one is really foxing me. Basically, he can't get his stent in his chest wet, and this is also causing issues with stretching, so not climbing or archery which might have worked. I was planning to do fire lighting this term, but if anyone could think of other ideas, that would be great. He's also got low energy levels, so nothing too energetic.
    It sounds to me like any activity would be an adventure for this Beaver. Personally I'd pick an activity he can do and will enjoy and class it as adventurous and forget about the finer details of the badge requirements.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Simon.md For This Useful Post:

boballan (10-04-2018),Newbb (07-04-2018),roger-uk (08-04-2018)

Thanks
    I second an artificial cave, we do it for Scouts and they have a great time. I would also suggest rubber band guns (https://www.campusgifts.co.uk/catalo...bber+band+guns) or Nerf gun target shooting, Beavers struggle with air rifles, but love rubber band guns.

I would also not get too hung up about him having to do everything to get the Adventure Challenge and his Chief Scouts Bronze Award. If he is taking part to the best of his ability, but held back due to medical reasons, then it is at your discretion to make allowances.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick For This Useful Post:

Newbb (07-04-2018),roger-uk (08-04-2018)

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,051 Posts
    I have a Beaver who is currently being treated for leukaemia. Due to his situation, I'm having to put my thinking cap on a bit to cover some of the badges and making them work for him. My biggest struggle is the Adventure Challenge. We have covered the adventurous side of this by going off site to do a couple of fundays and a water activities day, unfortunately he was unable to attend.
    was it a case of him missing the day or was he physically unable to participate?

there are many activities that can be adapted such as one shifty suggests and many places these days have adapted equipment for support on hand.

could he cycle with the help of a pilot? what about sailing or power boating in adapted craft? can he do a 'hike' in a wheelchair in a group with him doing navigating on a simple route?

have you considered a disabled sport? try looking at english federation of disability sports for ideas: http://www.efds.co.uk/

i had a go at trail-O some years ago: https://www.britishorienteering.org.uk/site/trailo

on an all-ability event i got well beaten!

TM
    going...going...still here...just

11. The Following User Says Thank You to merryweather For This Useful Post:

Newbb (07-04-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merryweather View Post
    was it a case of him missing the day or was he physically unable to participate?

TM

Both, so I'mm trying to be clever as I've done a few things already & he's been ill.

He has spent 50 nights in hospital last year. Some for medication or surgery but others when he developed an infection which is why all water based activities are out. He has a stent fitted in his chest so anything that would involve pulling or a potential bash would cause problems. Due to his low energy levels, he finishes Beavers at 6:30 & goes to bed - this is a late night apparently!
    He's not in a wheel chair, and short spurts of running is great, but hikes are out for him so I'm planning a walk around the town.

Some good ideas thank you.

Thanks
    Pity you can't award him 50 Nights Away for all the nights in hospital, that must have been an adventure for a Beaver - even if not a pleasant one.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,162 Times in 1,342 Posts
    My.mum died while I was a venture scout. My VSL used that as part of my award application for the venture scout award. From memory, I was in a bit of a daze and he blagged bits of it.

Without that, I couldn't have focussed a couple of years later on getting my QSA.

Blag it. I bet there have been mornings when even leaving the house has been more of an effort than anything Bear Grylls has done.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

Richard paintin (09-04-2018),richardnhunt (07-04-2018)

Thanks
    Adventurous activities do not need to be strenuous. The most adventurous thing I have done is a tandem parachute jump. That required no physical assertion from me. Gravity did all the hard work. I doubt this is possible for your beaver .

What about pioneering where the colony with him (and mum or dad) designs something that can be used to carry him. Then together and in turn they complete hike. May be something along the lines of a treasure map, geocaching, or (belated) Easter Egg trail. The hike can be fairly basic with lots of escape routes. But I bet they could complete it.

Whittling? Or is that creative?

Wide game?

Low ropes course

Zorbing

Two person trike.

Obstacle race in the hospital ward. (I think I have just made myself an enemy. The staff in the hospital probably won’t like that idea.). Again they could pioneer something to take him over beds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACSL
    Thanks
    ... others when he developed an infection which is why all water based activities are out.
    There could still be some he could do. I work at a water activity centre, mainly sailing. We have various ways of adapting things for almost anyone, including a 3ton keelboat/yacht, which means anyone sailing it only gets wet during a water fight. We also have 4 keel boats that wheel chairs can be fitted into etc. We have had people sailing with broken wrists in pots etc, with only minor changes. I don't know where you are so may not be much help but it could still be worth asking around to see what changes this sort of centre could make to include him.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jarrad For This Useful Post:

Newbb (09-04-2018)

Thanks
    There's a page on Facebook called 'Rowan's Reality' It's run by the parents of a little boy with a number of medical conditions. However, Rowan is a Cub and has gained Chief Scout Awards etc (I follow the page). Maybe you could message them to find out what activities he took part in? (I know it's not the same condition, but it might be helpful to find out what adventures other children have been on to help them...)
    I bat for both teams...
    Yes, i'm bi... organisational!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Ker-stee For This Useful Post:

Newbb (09-04-2018)

Thanks
    Adventures I have had with my kids:
    Train ride to the next station, but if the ticket etc.
    Canal boat ride
    Zoo/Farm visits

To a 6 or 7 year old everything is an adventure, doing it whilst wearing their necker/with their Beaver mates makes it a scouting adventure.

Whilst it is fun to do the big ticket items sometimes adventure can be closer to home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shaun For This Useful Post:

BalooNav (12-04-2018),Newbb (12-04-2018)

Thanks
    If you can, I recommend getting all your Beavers onto a canal narrowboat weekend or taster day. One probably won't be able to help too much with the Locks but he can certainly help to steer, do vital lookout duty from the prow, do wildlife spotting along the way and all sorts of on-board duties in a smooth environment. And sleep in the bunk of course.

My nearest one is the Falcon Adams which does frequent runs between Reading and Marlborough. Different groups can book onto different sections in a sort of relay, or you can book it for a weekend or more and go further, Qualified skippers are provided but you can be your own if you have the paperwork and experience. There are more youth group narrowboats elsewhere and I'm sure others can provide more links.

Falcon Adam Youth Narrowboat

Facebook page

also:

Jubilee venture (Wakefield Scouts)

Thetford Scouts

The Tuptonia (B'ham & Northants)

Leics narrowboats

West Yorkshire 'Spirit of Guiding'
    Last edited by Epona; 14-04-2018 at 10:04 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Epona For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (15-04-2018)