Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Failiure to comply with the (new?) Scout Curriculum

Thanks

Failiure to comply with the (new?) Scout Curriculum

Spotted this via email
    Team UK structure. The structure of Team UK has undergone some changes as we lead up to the roll out of our new strategic plan. Some new roles have been introduced which focus on the plan's key pillars of work.
    which then takes you to this:
    http://members.scouts.org.uk/newsand...3D7ACP,2J57R,1

which has listed
    UK Commissioner Programme Assurance
    To lead the strategic development of the youth programme (the curriculum and compliance) with the outcome of increasing the number of young people involved in UK Scouting.

Volunteer Head of Curriculum
    To lead the development of the youth programme (the curriculum) with the outcome of increasing the number of young people involved in UK Scouting. This will include programme themes of outdoor, adventure, world, and skills and reflects the World Youth Programme Policy.
    So what happens to groups that fail to comply? OffScout inspections?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard T For This Useful Post:

merryweather (07-04-2018),pa_broon74 (10-04-2018),scoutgamer (14-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 706 Posts
    Which idiot allowed the use of the terms curriculum and compliance to be used in a Scouting context? We are not teachers, this is not school and we are not employees

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

boballan (09-04-2018),Jack.Denvir (11-05-2018),Jamie32 (07-04-2018),jarrad (08-04-2018),Kev (06-04-2018),marcbw (08-04-2018),merryweather (07-04-2018),pa_broon74 (10-04-2018),Rikki01 (07-04-2018),sjl14 (07-04-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard T View Post
    So what happens to groups that fail to comply? OffScout inspections?
    The leaders walk away.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kev For This Useful Post:

marcbw (08-04-2018),Rikki01 (07-04-2018)

Thanks
    I remember when we had HQ Commissioners for the training sections. It seemed to make sense to me to have a sort of "head volunteer" supporting ACCs etc

Now we have a UK Commissioner People who "will lead the development and delivery of a comprehensive ‘people strategy" and a UK Commissioner Perception plus a host of others.

I wonder if they could translate it into English for me.......

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveF For This Useful Post:

merryweather (07-04-2018)

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,671 Times in 1,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Which idiot allowed the use of the terms curriculum and compliance to be used in a Scouting context? We are not teachers, this is not school and we are not employees
    oh dear...

have we developed a new scouting strategy to which we are now planning to change scouting to fit this new strategy? i presume so; so all change again?

another large number of managers in roles which have little or no meaning.

a formalised approach with a programme to be followed which is uniform for all scouts, just like the national curriculum was supposedly right for everyone in education.

compliance? yikes! are going to continue to change into some multinational corporate entity talking management-speak which no one at my lowly-level stuck away in the toilets - the bowels of the movement - understands?

i recall this new strategy being released and someone asking for comments. i spent 3 or 4 hours reading it from which i made a few pages of notes. i sat back to read my notes and got lost after an hour! i emailed people questions and i got no answers in return. a cynical me would have sent back a reply in serbo-croat as it would make more sense.

so we're going down to scalphem woods next week to do a bit of geocaching. does this fit the new curriculum? is it compliant? do we have to ensure we have our correct quota of various identities (sexual/gender, religious, ethnic, social, &c) to make it a compliant curriculum component?

someone is deliberately forcing me to become pa broon 2 and do things my own way!

scouting is a simple game.

why are we making it more complex?

this is complete nonsense.

TM
    going...going...still here...just

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to merryweather For This Useful Post:

bigcheese (07-04-2018),boballan (09-04-2018),Brian Foulkes (07-04-2018),Bushfella (07-04-2018),dralphs (17-04-2018),GSLSherburn (12-05-2018),Jamie32 (07-04-2018),jarrad (08-04-2018),Neil Williams (08-04-2018),Sparks (07-04-2018),SteveF (07-04-2018)

Thanks
    Are private sector companies still using all this silly jargon? It used to be that stuff like this was tried in the private sector, decide it didn't work and move on but even so the public sector would try it a few years later.

Thanks
    I have said for many years ,and got into trouble over saying it,our problem is not getting enough children but getting enough adults.

If our programme was such that we retained more children who did not leave as they moved sections, we would be overwhelmed,unless we got more adults to become Leaders.

Maybe Amir Cheema and his comprehensive 'people strategy' for volunteers will increase our numbers of adults.

The word 'compliance' is worrying,and as Kev says all this jargon reminds me of work.

I'm also not sure what they mean by 'communicating to a wider audience'.How wide an audience should I be communicating to.But it looks like Caroline Ledger is going to tell me and better still show me how I can reach a wider audience.

I await the 15th May with interest. Probably no one at TSA checked but I have and the 15th of May is celebrated as DINOSAUR DAY

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Foulkes For This Useful Post:

big chris (07-04-2018)

Thanks
    Ok, so I have mixed views on this, we have a couple of Inspection regimes that we choose to participate in and they are enormously helpful. They provide deadlines, focus and a basis for self awareness - and an outside body to provide benchmarking. There are groups that could benefit. The key is that both start from a presumption of doing good & extremely knowledgable and supportive inspectors.

My concern is that whilst there are many people who I would be genuinely interested in feedback from, there are many that I struggle to recognise as having the necessary skills. As an association, I don’t think we have the guts or the ability to only select the first group.

I would welcome voluntary feedback and review systems. I would object strongly to poorly constructed and poorly staff skilled offscoutlite.

Rich

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Foulkes View Post
    The word 'compliance' is worrying,and as Kev says all this jargon reminds me of work.
    The problem is that for Matt Hyde and his like this IS work. Highly paid work. TSA are just a stepping stone in their lucrative career in the 'third sector'.

It's curious that Matt seems to have almost zero public profile but presumably he's the architect behind TSA's misguided strategy of recent years.

I think we just need to wait for him to move onwards and upwards and hope that we get a better CEO next time. In the meantime it's damage limitation for the rest of us.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pstretch For This Useful Post:

Brian Foulkes (07-04-2018),GSLSherburn (12-05-2018),itchen (07-04-2018),scoutgamer (14-05-2018)

Thanks
    I used to work for a large corporation. Our motto was, ‘What is this week’s long term plan?’
    The long march through the institutions is nearly complete.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ihatecamping For This Useful Post:

Airobat (09-04-2018),Brian Foulkes (07-04-2018),scoutgamer (14-05-2018)

Thanks
    One of of the gripes is how Scouting is disappearing down the corporate bullshyte speak world, words and phrases such as Line Manager need to be ditched as soon as possible,as do terms/positions such as CEO
    If we start going down the road of Curriculums, Compliance and possibly inspections then people will vote with their feet. We are already short on leaders, and Adult recruitment and retention is diabolical - is it still two years average for an Adult to be a leader? ( the amount of time a YP is a Beaver or a Cub)
    Things such as the appalling way the recent Autism controversy was handled, and now stuff being thrown at us such as Compliance, curriculums, and so on wont help in either Adult recruitment or retention.

The sad thing is that there will be a small minority who will leap at all this sort of corporate, and then try and force on everyone else - complaints followed up with compliance action for not using the correct logo anyone?
    how about not enough YP achieving Bronze/Silver/gold/platinum awards in their relevant section, and/or enough challenge badges/nights away etc etc..

To throw compliance into the mix you will also need to check for such things, and with that will come some form of inspection/review process - again which some adults, where if they were YP you may be able to class them as bullies will launch themselves into enthusiasticaly

As Kev said, leaders will just walk away and vote with their feet, without leaders in the Scout association you wont have the YP joining the Scout association. And on top of that the Scout Association is not the only Scouting organisation available

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard T For This Useful Post:

Brian Foulkes (07-04-2018),Jamieson90 (23-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,098 Times in 1,309 Posts
    I suspect million hands was more like a few thousand hands.

They won't get away with that again.

They'll need us to take part next time and do something for their grand plans to succeed.

Scouting has always been beautifully formed in the likeness of the sectioin leader. It is what makes it so wonderful.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

22. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

hippysurfer (12-04-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merryweather View Post

oh dear...

another large number of managers in roles which have little or no meaning.

scouting is a simple game.

why are we making it more complex?

TM
    That's what I was trying to say.

I remember my wife watching a TV series that was a parody of the BBC. Everyone had job titles that they did not seem to understand and they went to endless meetings where nothing really got decided.

It really seems to be happening in the Scout Association.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveF For This Useful Post:

Brian Foulkes (07-04-2018)

Thanks
    Once again it does look like HQ are rather disconnected from the frontline.

The idea of having someone who is responsible for getting more volunteers is good. The gobbledegook that goes with it? Awful.

As for compliance.... this could end up as a circus.

Thanks
    I have in the past been turned down for a Scouting position because I didn't fully appreciate the "strategic nature of the role". I'm still not sure if I should have been disappointed for not getting the position or relieved!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast