Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Size and shape of district/county/region teams

Thanks
    Thanked 1,832 Times in 1,157 Posts
    This is a good point, actually - Districts offering for hire (at a cost based on maintaining and growing the portfolio of equipment) is a really good idea for things that won't be used often by Groups like proper lightweight camping and cooking equipment (rather than cheap stuff from Go Outdoors). Also a good variety of it, so YP can for example try a Jetboil and a Trangia (meths *and* gas) to see what they prefer and broaden experience.

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    I think that would work well. My one exception is that I feel that the current system of Local Training Managers being managed by County Training Managers should stay. I think I am doing a better job as LTM than I was as ADC (Adult Training).
    It is too easy for DCs, GSLs etc to avoid their responsibilities re adult training if they can simply blame the ADC (AT).

Also our role can be a bit more flexible. I was running a course in another District last weekend for example and at a County water activities centre before that. I know I could have done that anyway but people might have said you are neglecting your "real job".
    Another growing trend is for DCs to take back control of adult training, and either appoint an ADC(AT) or line manage the LTM. POR is clear that adult training is a County responsibility, not a District one. Despite this many DCs (presumably with the knowledge of the CC) seem to be managing adult training though an ADC(AT) / LTM.

Paul

Thanks
    I suspect part of that issue with training is that its going to be pretty difficult for County to manage adult training in districts where it has little knowledge of who people are. How are they going to find someone in a district that is suitable to be a LTM and also monitor how they are doing in terms of ensuring people have LTA's etc. Maybe the DC taking control of training is because County can't or won't leaving districts with the only viable option of sorting it out themselves.

(Will have to resist the temptation to email the County training manager to say that I've not had an LTA in the time I've been in Scouting, we don't have a current active district LTM and would they like to sort it out as per POR - probably won't go down too well!).
    Does anyone know what's going on?

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    probably won't go down too well!
    Of course, the flip side of that is "How do you fix a problem unless you know it's there..... someone has to let the county bods know, surely?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,832 Times in 1,157 Posts
    Personally, I think it needs to be at both levels - Counties are ideally placed to provide the main courses, but Districts to manage things like PLPs.

Not dissimilar to Network. It didn't really work at County level because Counties were too distant. But a large-scale international for Network, for instance, might well be best provided at that level.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (16-04-2018)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234