Thread: NCS - Financial Doubts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 706 Posts

NCS - Financial Doubts

An article in today's Observer is highlighting the questionable level of funding and value for money of the National Citizen Service
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...outh-programme

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    An article in today's Observer is highlighting the questionable level of funding and value for money of the National Citizen Service
    Don't think this was ever going to be a roaring success, its not really in keeping with the general every-(wo)man-for-themselves Tory ethos.

Did I not read young people were just going to be forced to pick fruit (etc) in the coming years?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    A report from the National Audit Office published, last year I think, gives an indication of just how poor a scheme this is. A series of private providers around the country are skimming off public money. The NCS has not met its targets for recruitment of young people. The real scandal is that this money could have been put into local government areas that are not well off and to charities (including TSA) which would have provided the sort of support that many YP would benefit from. Our local experience if that the NCS now expects Scout Groups, like my own, to provide free facilties for its YP because of the 'partnership' that it has with TSA. I assume that such free facilities will help improve its directors' bonuses!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robin Hood For This Useful Post:

richardnhunt (20-04-2018),shiftypete (20-04-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
    A report from the National Audit Office published, last year I think, gives an indication of just how poor a scheme this is. A series of private providers around the country are skimming off public money. The NCS has not met its targets for recruitment of young people. The real scandal is that this money could have been put into local government areas that are not well off and to charities (including TSA) which would have provided the sort of support that many YP would benefit from. Our local experience if that the NCS now expects Scout Groups, like my own, to provide free facilties for its YP because of the 'partnership' that it has with TSA. I assume that such free facilities will help improve its directors' bonuses!
    To be honest its no different to any scheme of this nature. You don't have to be in the right positions in business for too long to realise that any time the government organises some scheme to promote something like training, the providers will be hawking it around the country trying to get employers to "take advantage" of it. I had one the other week that was practically begging me to send people on some form of leadership training that was all government funded out of the apprenticeship levy - it was totally pointless. Meanwhile the kids that the Apprenticeship Levy is intended to ensure get a serious career based training, are being used as cheap labour by being employed as apprentices, made to do menial tasks and given very little training. As above the only people that seem to benefit from these schemes are the people running the companies set up to provide whatever service it is.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mang21 For This Useful Post:

boballan (23-04-2018),pa_broon74 (20-04-2018)