Thread: Our Outdoor Challenge Award - Cook

CSL (In training)
    Thanks

Our Outdoor Challenge Award - Cook

I have a load of Cubs who are just missing the "cook" section from their Outdoor challenge badge. The sort of camps we run are not conducive to them cooking on camp, and for 11 of them, they will move on before they get the chance to camp again.

So I'm looking for ideas for how I can fulfil this criteria as part of a section night... The line in the requirements is the ever helpful "Cook a meal with your six"....

Please help!

Thanks
    We've done spag bol from scratch outside on the fire places in the grounds - appreciate not everyone is that fortunate with their facilities. However the actual cooking (chop an onion, fry it up with the mince and add tinned tomatoes etc) is well within Cubs grasp.

Without the fireplaces I think we'd be similarly stuck - the issue we'd have which is probably the same for you is finding X number of hot plates etc where X is twice the number of sixes you have assuming you are doing something like a one pot stew or Bolognese with pasta or potatoes.. Depends whether you have access to trangias or gas burners that you could rig up at that sort of quantity to let them cook.

A cheat one might be to do something like cardboard box pizzas over disposable barbecues (wrap a cardboard box in tin foil and use it to create an oven space over the barbecue so that you can cook the pizza top and bottom). You could then maybe separately do some form of desert. Pizzas could be reasonably elaborate in terms of toppings.

Will have a think!
    Does anyone know what's going on?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mang21 For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (14-05-2018)

Thanks
    The requirement to do all these things "while you're away" is one of my current pet peeves and suggests that the award requirements are a cut-and-paste put together by a committee without any coherent thought. Camp is not the only place that you can do 'outdoors', and camp is not the best place to do many of the listed activities.

But anyway, keeping to the spirit of the things . . . "Cook a meal with your Six" doesn't necessarily require a healthy or balanced meal. We're doing a BBQ after half term, with the kids making up their own kebabs (fruit and veg will be available to skewer) and cooking them on disposable barbecues. We've had a day hike stopping for lunch to get the stoves on to fry sausages and heat up beans.
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (14-05-2018)

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    The requirement to do all these things "while you're away" is one of my current pet peeves and suggests that the award requirements are a cut-and-paste put together by a committee without any coherent thought. Camp is not the only place that you can do 'outdoors', and camp is not the best place to do many of the listed activities.
    There was a county "Help with your program problems" day that I attended and brought this up at and everyone in the room, down to the regional commissioner basically said ignore the "on camp" part of that, it's the doing that's important, not the where. Yet it still re-affirms the on camp in the notes.

Thanks for the suggestions though John, that's also useful.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,932 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Question...and I'm not having a go, but...why is the "as part of a night away" requirement not important, or can be worked around, while "prepare a meal in your six" is a line that cannot be crossed?

And then to be helpful...

How about pitta pocket pizzas? They take a pitta, halve, fill with pizza toppings, wrap in oiled foil and put in embers for ten minutes, turning it a time or two.

Ok, we're lucky, we have a campsite that can have multiple fires, so when we Explorers did this with scouts last week, the explorers and PLs set to with five fires, while the younger ones played a game, then the pockets were made, cooked, eaten.

Too easy maybe?
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2017 - May 2018
    http://www.jambowlree.org

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (14-05-2018)

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Question...and I'm not having a go, but...why is the "as part of a night away" requirement not important, or can be worked around, while "prepare a meal in your six" is a line that cannot be crossed?
    I wouldn't say it's "Not important" I would say it's hard for a leader to arrange for 30 cubs That may be a failing of our scouting.

I wouldn't be too strict on the "in your six" part either. There is enough teamwork in the rest of the challenge awards to not make that a big thing. Although doing this stuff in small groups is easier and safer than individually, so that aspect isn't really a barrier to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    How about pitta pocket pizzas? They take a pitta, halve, fill with pizza toppings, wrap in oiled foil and put in embers for ten minutes, turning it a time or two.
    I like that one, in that it also avoids the "Get the cubs to cook something they probably wont actually eat (because their parent's fed them already) and hence a load of it gets wasted" issue I also have with this badge....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nevynxxx View Post
    I have a load of Cubs who are just missing the "cook" section from their Outdoor challenge badge. The sort of camps we run are not conducive to them cooking on camp, and for 11 of them, they will move on before they get the chance to camp again.

So I'm looking for ideas for how I can fulfil this criteria as part of a section night... The line in the requirements is the ever helpful "Cook a meal with your six"....

Please help!
    We run Chef badge with our Pack every couple of years. We get a double burner for each six in the hall and an adult to supervise. They plan a menu one week (either from a our suggestions or from their own ideas if feasible), then cook it the next. It takes a bit of effort to get the adults to step back from the stove and let the Cubs do most of it, but it's a great night which produces remarkably edible food at the end.

I reckon the cooking part is more important than the 'while on camp' bit.

Having said that, I do like to get our Cubs cooking on camp. But it's more suitable for a more relaxed style of camp where you can concentrate on camp skills, rather than an activity-focussed camp when there never seems to be time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nevynxxx View Post
    I like that one, in that it also avoids the "Get the cubs to cook something they probably wont actually eat (because their parent's fed them already) and hence a load of it gets wasted" issue I also have with this badge....
    We don't seem to have a problem with this. We don't go overboard with the quantities, so by the time they've presented a plate for the judges and divvied the rest up, they only get a fairly small portion each. Most of it seems to be gone by the end of the evening! Especially the squirty cream!
    Last edited by KingstonCubber; 14-05-2018 at 04:10 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KingstonCubber For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (14-05-2018)

Thanks
    Seriously - whenever we have food, I feel maybe I should be contacting social services because clearly my Cubs haven't been fed for at least a week - well to judge by the way they wolf it down - including the night we had haggis when I had to make one stop before he made himself ill!
    Does anyone know what's going on?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mang21 For This Useful Post:

KingstonCubber (14-05-2018),nevynxxx (14-05-2018)

nele
    Thanks
    I think our cubs use foil packets cooked on embers for this. They make them in sixes (with supervision) and then they're all onto a couple of fires. Usually at camp, as its more difficult for us at meetings

Thanks
    I have always felt that if there is a problem with a badge requirement there is no reason why an experienced Leader cannot make a sensible change.

I remember as a young Scout going along to the Scout hut on a Saturday morning (which was when we met) to do various cooking tests. I used to have to sort out the ingredients etc and plan how to do it and then go and cook. I enjoyed it - although I sometimes found it a bit of a challenge. I don't think that the fact that we were not camping at the time really made much difference. We did go on camps and I was able to use the skills that I had learnt ,when actually camping.

Thanks
    I have often done a quick stir fry + noodles on a wood fire or single gas ring with the cubs and scouts. The number of vegetables to be cleaned and chopped matching the number of cubs in the six
    One boiling the water for the noodles first while the others are chopping and then letting them all have a stir and add in the sauce
    I can get it done and washing up started in 35/40 mins if the carrots are grated for quick cooking ? and all the kit and fire is ready
    and using cooked ham, frankfurters or chicken if you don't want to do a vegetarian meal

Thanks
    I generally think that the "Our Outdoors" challenge is generally pointless.

A Cub who participates positively in a cub camp will get this badge.

I justify this on the leader discretion and POR's basic requirements.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutgamer View Post
    I generally think that the "Our Outdoors" challenge is generally pointless.

A Cub who participates positively in a cub camp will get this badge.

I justify this on the leader discretion and POR's basic requirements.
    As a group we refuse to refer to the badges as "Our Outdoors" etc in cubs and "My Outdoors" etc in Beavers... "Outdoors" works perfectly well and is far far less patronising!! Sorry couldnt resist that little rant.

Back to the original question - we tend not to worry about whether the requirements are actually done as part of a night away. They still have to do the nights away to get the badge, but with 30+ cubs attending most of our cub camps, getting them all cooking as sixes would mean taking a lot of equipment for a weekend camp.

Instead we do it on a week night. Back in the autumn term both packs did a Curry Challenge (probably for Diwali) where each six had to mix spices together and come up with a curry which they cooked and served.

Our Scouts do cook for themselves in patrols on at least 2 camps per year (summer camp and skills camp).

On Cub Summer Camp, we try to have a six helping prep each meal... i'm assuming they'll do the same this year but for the first time since 2012 i wont be there.
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves