Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washing up station for camp - any ideas?

Thanks

Washing up station for camp - any ideas?

We are back into the big camp season - 50+ Cubs and Scouts, sometimes Beavers. We encourage each to wash up their own plastic or enamelled plate/bowl/mug but the design of our wash up station is not so efficient. We have 2 or 3 bowls (suds, rinse and sometime drain ) or our drain / dry area is a log jammed table surface, and we have cobbled together draining boards , racks or tea towel brigades but it all looks a bit messy and inefficient... with wet plates piled up hap hazzardly. I introduced the Sainsbury's home delivery plastic boxes as they have holes throughout and that works moderately well for draining.

So has anyone suggestions for purchasing a better drying / draining solution? or one they have built? We haven't had a salmonella outbreak yet...

Thanks
    I have been amazed by rigs that include a real kitchen sink.

Thanks
    We have a bunch of lightweight, fold-out, wire drying racks (designed for drying laundry; found at any household/hardware store) which can either be used for drying plate bags or for supporting washing and rinsing bowls..

Thanks
    The folding metal tables with slats work well for us no puddles to drop their tea towels in

Thanks
    Down each side of a 6ft table we have two red bowls (warm washing water), a grey bowl (cold rinse) and two drainers then a 6ft bench. At the end of the table there's two bins, one for food/compost, one for packaging /rubbish (yog pots/wrappers) there's a tub with spatulas too. Routine is policed, throw rubbish away, scrape all food residue into compost bin with spatulas, then "wash in the red, rinse in the grey, drain it, dry it, put it away". The bench is used as a holding area for dry gear before it goes into mess kit bags. Frankly we don't bother with Beavers personal mess kit, life is too short. We have used communal beaver kit for years. Depending on the programme sometimes Beavers wash up, sometimes it is the adults.
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun...
    GSL 1st Aylburton & Lydney, TA, ESL(YL), District Campsite Warden & webmanager .....only 1 hour a week, they said (not pointing out that was what was left)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,932 Times in 1,121 Posts
    For drainage, we know a washing machine and dishwasher repairman, he gets the drawers out of dishwashers, wrongly ordered parts, old ones that aren't too skanky, I think we've got 4 now. So with mass washing up we do the bin & three bowl system. Sometimes have them go down both sides of the table so there's two people at each bowl. If there's loads of us it's a 2 x 3 bowls.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2017 - May 2018
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Down each side of a 6ft table we have two red bowls (warm washing water), a grey bowl (cold rinse) and two drainers then a 6ft bench. At the end of the table there's two bins, one for food/compost, one for packaging /rubbish (yog pots/wrappers) there's a tub with spatulas too. Routine is policed, throw rubbish away, scrape all food residue into compost bin with spatulas, then "wash in the red, rinse in the grey, drain it, dry it, put it away". The bench is used as a holding area for dry gear before it goes into mess kit bags. Frankly we don't bother with Beavers personal mess kit, life is too short. We have used communal beaver kit for years. Depending on the programme sometimes Beavers wash up, sometimes it is the adults.
    Yep. You have got it well sorted.
    It does amaze me how some Cubs have never washed up, nor had their hands in a bowl of water before.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,932 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul o View Post
    It does amaze me how some Cubs have never washed up, nor had their hands in a bowl of water before.
    Dishwasher and (usually) mum.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2017 - May 2018
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,188 Posts
    I normally don't do drying up as a waste of effort, but for the YP the easiest way is they bring a teatowel, dry their plate etc and put them away. Then you only need draining facilities for cooking equipment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Dishwasher and (usually) mum.
    Increasingly so. The only time I ever wash up manually is on camp.

Thanks
    At Guides they used to get us to lash a washing up stand together before camp. Guide camp was really hard work.
    Nyika (formerly Bagheera)

On hiatus.
    Archery Leader

Scouting for All and nobody left behind!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 707 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzledbyadream View Post
    At Guides they used to get us to lash a washing up stand together before camp. Guide camp was really hard work.
    Before camp? What and then you took it with you to camp? We lash ours together once we are on camp.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,417 Posts
    We have a stack of those cheap plastic draining racks...

However, we have central kit rather than each kid bringing their own - we just take the crates with 100 plates, 100 bowls, etc to camp. Means that at washing up time there can be a duty washing up six for each meal and no lost property nightmare.

For bigger camps, we use a system similar to above - each kid takes their items, wash in bowl, dry with teatowel, put away.

As for us leaders - in the mess tent we tend to wash stuff and leave it to air dry same as we would at home. I'm not a fan of having a nice clean (wet) plate and drying it with a slightly grimy rag!!
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul o View Post
    Yep. You have got it well sorted.
    Its not just cubs. I'm sure I've mentioned this before but...

Explorers at a bunk house. In the kitchen standing with dirty dishes stacked up. Three sinks against the wall, but no dish washer - which had them stumped.

They then washed the tops of the dishes but not the bottoms. The following morning there was some more consternation when the plates they'd cleaned turned dirty overnight...

Stumped again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post
    We have a stack of those cheap plastic draining racks...

However, we have central kit rather than each kid bringing their own - we just take the crates with 100 plates, 100 bowls, etc to camp. Means that at washing up time there can be a duty washing up six for each meal and no lost property nightmare.

For bigger camps, we use a system similar to above - each kid takes their items, wash in bowl, dry with teatowel, put away.
    I like each kid having their own because it makes them take responsibility for washing it up after each meal. But it does irk me slightly that you can't stack it all neatly in a draining rack because it's all different shapes and sizes.

I occasionally wonder about getting a set of 'personalised' group crockery and cutlery. We could stencil on their name and present it for their first camp with us. They use it with us over the years, then get to keep it to remember us by when they leave.

I'll probably never get around to it, but I do quite like the idea of it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 707 Posts
    The trouble is that when you went to go buy some more identical sets to give to new kids sods law will be that you are unable to find the exact same stuff to buy.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast