Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Strategy 2018-2013

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    You've been to [insert name of local rough town you make jokes about] right?
    Almost certainly.
    The long march through the institutions is nearly complete.

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard T View Post
    Not quite sure what to make of the programme statement, is "Simple tools" a new definition of a Leader/Assistant leader? other
    Perhaps the simple tool is the launch of ScoutCount 3

Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulArthurs For This Useful Post:

big chris (16-05-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihatecamping View Post
    I believe that people mean what they say.

I also think that when we have the following set of ideas:

English Scouting does not need distinctive colour, whereas NI needs two;
    Transgenderism is commonplace, even among young people;
    Ethnically mixed communities are the norm;

then the simplest explanation is that this strategy was devised by metropolitan liberals who probably see anywhere outside of the M25 as a bit scary and barbaric.
    I think with the gender RAG in mind, it is far more likely a case of someone being statistically illiterate than anything else.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
    Scout Active Support Member & Webmaster
    Deep Sea Scouts National SASU

Webmaster
    St. Helens Scout District - 1st Whiston Scout Group - 1st Kirkby Scout Group

Campsite Service Team
    Tawd Vale Scout Camp

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matt Donnelly For This Useful Post:

big chris (16-05-2018),PaulArthurs (16-05-2018),shiftypete (16-05-2018)

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Census figures. Adults in Compass includes OHs which are not members and so shouldn't be included in the Census (although I had to argue with our District on that point this year!). I agree with you though, it would be far more accurate to count the number of records in Compass and deduct those that only hold an OH role.
    But, Compass does not record who is a Member, who is an Associate Member and who is a non-member.

We know (although some Districts struggle with the fact) that Occassional Helpers are not members. But, what about a 19 year old Scout Network member who is also an OH 'cos they attend their former Groups summer camp.

We also have roles where the individual can opt to be an Associate Member or Member, and roles where there is no obligation to be either a Member or Associate Member.

Plus, remember that "Adults become Members by making the Promise and completing a Members' Declaration" [POR 3.1p] and that "Certificates of
    Full Appointment must be presented by the District ... Commissioner or their nominee as soon as possible after receipt. At the presentation of the certificate, adults who are to become Members of The Scout Association are invested and make or reaffirm the Scout Promise."
    [POR Appt Process 4.7]

There is also "There are membership options for adults not holding appointments to become Members or Associate Members on ceasing to hold an appointment." [POR 3.1k]

In saying all of the above, it does seem crazy that Groups, Districts and Counties are asked each year to collate information on adult members - when we some further work done on Compass HQ would have this 'live' data rather than asking for it once a year.

Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Donnelly View Post
    I think with the gender RAG in mind, it is far more likely a case of someone being statistically illiterate than anything else.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
    Oh great.

So the strategy for Scouting in the UK is now being led by someone who is either a Momentum supporter, or statistically illiterate, or, possibly, both.

Should go well.
    The long march through the institutions is nearly complete.

Thanks
    Given the new strategy and launch have been in the pipeline for a while why didn't the quality checks pick up on these mistakes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulArthurs View Post
    But, Compass does not record who is a Member, who is an Associate Member and who is a non-member.
    Sorry I meant Census records members and associate members but not non members so the only people in compass who would need excluding are OHs (ok possibly some skills instructors as well but I doubt there are a statiscically significant number of non member skills instructors)

Quote Originally Posted by PaulArthurs View Post
    We know (although some Districts struggle with the fact) that Occasional Helpers are not members. But, what about a 19 year old Scout Network member who is also an OH 'cos they attend their former Groups summer camp.
    IMHO they should solely be recorded as Network members not as adult members in any other way

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Looking through the new strategy more closely one part I am very pleased to see is
    Priorities in 2018/2019
    Simpler training (focus on practical skills)

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group

www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Looking through the new strategy more closely one part I am very pleased to see is
    Mmm...

Simpler training... I think I'll wait to see what they actually mean by that. Did they not say that about the current training system?

Thanks
    Sorry I meant Census records members and associate members but not non members so the only people in compass who would need excluding are OHs (ok possibly some skills instructors as well but I doubt there are a statiscically significant number of non member skills instructors)

IMHO they should solely be recorded as Network members not as adult members in any other way
    The issue there though is that a Network member who is just a Network Member is not allowed to supervise or have unsupervised access to YP id helping out at a section.

The only way they can do this is to have an adult role or non membership role (like OH) that required and allows them to have a DBS check. Network only members must not be DBS checked and on Compass cannot be.

Thanks
    Again for clarity I only meant for statisical purposes (i.e. counting number of adult volunteers) not that network members shouldn;t have an OH role recorded against them if they need one.

www.leeds-solar.co.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Mmm...

Simpler training... I think I'll wait to see what they actually mean by that. Did they not say that about the current training system?
    I am disappointed that they do not give any sort of clue as to what this actually means.

They seem to be saying that training is going to change but we are not going to tell us how. I don't find that helpful as an LTM.

I was glad to see a checklist for GSLs which included encouraging Leaders to do their training however.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    I am disappointed that they do not give any sort of clue as to what this actually means.

They seem to be saying that training is going to change but we are not going to tell us how. I don't find that helpful as an LTM.

I was glad to see a checklist for GSLs which included encouraging Leaders to do their training however.
    Trouble is, if training is going to be simplified, and changed why rush to complete it under the current bloated scheme? Its now firmly at the bottom of my to do list!
    Does anyone know what's going on?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mang21 For This Useful Post:

PaulArthurs (16-05-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    Trouble is, if training is going to be simplified, and changed why rush to complete it under the current bloated scheme? Its now firmly at the bottom of my to do list!
    That is a shame. As a GSL I spend a lot of time working with my Leaders and TAs/LTM to make it as easy as possible for them to validate their training. The current scheme is far from perfect, but it can be made to work and it will be very demoralising, for me at least, if Leaders now start to cross their arms and say that they are waiting to see how it is going to change. I hope that I can convince my Leaders to crack on any get their modules signed off so that we can all focus on their next steps.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post

That is a bit 'chicken and egg' really. If they came out now and said how it was going to change they would be accused of not consulting. But I am sure that many of us will be waiting with baited breath to see if they have been listening to concerns about training and what changes are going to be proposed.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to hippysurfer For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (16-05-2018)

Thanks
    You'd think they'd do all that before announcing any streamlining or simplification of the training.

I suspect, they'll only tweak round the edges, perhaps amalgamating the first three modules.

I think the one thing coming out of this strategy is; the priority is on education, for both young people and adult volunteers. And the main drive is toward standardisation of the 'product'. It seems to me, this is at odds with the model to date, which has somewhat capitalised on the character and personalities of the volunteers and the unique qualities they bring.

I'm not sure I agree with that direction.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast