Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Strategy 2018-2013

Thanks

New Strategy 2018-2013

Just got (or read the email). I think the Scottish version is probably a wee bit different round the edges from the rest of the UK's.

First thing that sticks out it, the prevalence on growth. They say (I assume this is UK-wide) they spoke to 5000 adults/6000 youths and the 'main steer' was growth, inclusivity, community impact and youth shaped.

I assume by growth, they didn't mean youth numbers?

We will have 1000 more section leaders (including section assistants) by 2023, and 5000 more young people... (In Scotland I presume...)

Lots of 'we will have' going on... Its an interesting tone to take for a voluntary organisation...

The 'targets' for awards are, interesting... 50% of young people achieving top awards... Our group are happy to contribute to the 50% that won't...

Over all, the 'steer' as they're calling it, seems to be away from an organisation ran by hobbyists toward a quasi-statutory wing of youth work ran by semi-pro trainers.

On the entire page - fun is mentioned once.

Reading it... Its very, ummm, motivated?

Programme
    A fun, enjoyable, high-quality programme consistently delivered and supported by simple tools.

People
    Scouting will be delivered to more young people from different backgrounds by more, well trained, better supported, motivated adult volunteers from different backgrounds.

Perception
    Scouting is understood, more visible, trusted, respected and widely seen as playing a key role in society today.
    It almost reads like a government/education type program...

Ours is here - https://www.scouts.scot/about-us/skills-for-life/

Thanks
    2018-2013

This is a great idea, publish the strategy after the event - that way you know your strategy has failed!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to khoomei For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (15-05-2018)

Thanks
    And the version for England says by 2023: 50,000 new Scouts, 10,000 new leaders and 5000 YL - is that a typo in the Scottish report or just co-incidence?
    Fiona
    BSL - Astwood Bank Scout Group

Thanks
    Two things stand out for me. One good and one bad.

It only gets a brief mention but changes to Leader training and more practical skills for adults has to be a big change for the better. Sounds like someone is listening.

One I like less is scouting in schools. I have no issue with using schools as meeting places and having healthy relationships with schools but I am very much against it being part of the school system. The relationship between adults and young people in scouts is special. We are not parents, police, social workers or teachers. We are something completely different, the nearest most our young people will have to an adult sibling. I fear that if in their mind we are put in the same bracket as teachers that special relationship will be at risk.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CambridgeSkip For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (16-05-2018),boballan (15-05-2018),Dave Davies (15-05-2018),johnL (15-05-2018),Ker-stee (15-05-2018),PaulArthurs (15-05-2018),pa_broon74 (15-05-2018),tonybaulch (15-05-2018)

Veteran lurker
    Thanks
    Don't worry about all these adults. We should be braced for the rush as 40% more Mums, and 44% more parents from BME communities prepare to volunteer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by khoomei View Post
    2018-2013

This is a great idea, publish the strategy after the event - that way you know your strategy has failed!
    We're going retro in Scotland.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by astwood7 View Post
    And the version for England says by 2023: 50,000 new Scouts, 10,000 new leaders and 5000 YL - is that a typo in the Scottish report or just co-incidence?
    My typo in the thread title - sausage fingers were engaged this morning...

I reckon SHQ have just amended figs to 10% of UK figures to account for population, or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeSkip View Post
    Two things stand out for me. One good and one bad.

It only gets a brief mention but changes to Leader training and more practical skills for adults has to be a big change for the better. Sounds like someone is listening.

One I like less is scouting in schools. I have no issue with using schools as meeting places and having healthy relationships with schools but I am very much against it being part of the school system. The relationship between adults and young people in scouts is special. We are not parents, police, social workers or teachers. We are something completely different, the nearest most our young people will have to an adult sibling. I fear that if in their mind we are put in the same bracket as teachers that special relationship will be at risk.
    I hadn't read about the leader training, but i agree 100% on the relationship between leaders and kids and how it could be at risk. We work with young people - not for Scouts, or for a program or objectives set by absent manager types. It relies a wee bit too much on leaders deriving satisfaction out of teaching and passing skills on and less on plain old fun and having a laugh - building bridges etc.

Not sure I'm keen working on the basis that young people will come in, satisfy some objectives, get an award then go off on their way. That's not the only thing it's about.
    Last edited by pa_broon74; 15-05-2018 at 09:13 AM.

Thanks
    There's no Logo Colour for England. Once again we're overlooked.
    Celebrate the 17th Holborn's 60th birthday - www.gbby.org.uk

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Rush For This Useful Post:

Ihatecamping (15-05-2018),PaulArthurs (15-05-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Rush View Post
    There's no Logo Colour for England. Once again we're overlooked.
    Scout Purple.

From the Brand Activation Guide, p4:

Scout Groups, Districts, Regions or Areas in the devolved Nations must use the following colours for their logo when it used on a white background: Scotland: Scout Blue, Wales: Scout Red, Northern Ireland: Scout Green or Scout Purple (depending on local circumstances). All other Scout Groups, Districts, Regions or Areas should use Scout Purple.

Scout Purple is hex colour code #7413dc. In an RGB colour space, hex #7413dc is composed of 116 (45.49%) red, 19 (7.45%) green and 220 (86.27%) blue. Its decimal value is 7607260. In a CMYK colour space, it is consist of 47.27% cyan, 91.36% magenta, 0% yellow and 13.73% black. It has a hue angle of 268.96 degrees, a saturation of 84.1% and a lightness of 46.86%.

In Microsoft Word, I created a custom RGB colour with Red set to 116, green to 19 and blue to 220 and used it for the "We prepare young people with skills for life" strapline in my email signature.
    Paul Emmett
    ACC Scouts, Gloucestershire

Adventurous Activity Permit - Nights Away: lightweight expedition
    Adventurous Activity Permit - Hill walking, T1 and T2, summer, lead (England and Wales only)
    DofE - Bronze/Silver/Gold Accredited Expedition Assessor
    NSRA YPS Tutor 3P Rifle

Just a different way of volunteering...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itchen View Post
    Don't worry about all these adults. We should be braced for the rush as 40% more Mums, and 44% more parents from BME communities prepare to volunteer.
    We only have one BME leader; if we recruit another one, will we have to share with another Group?

As an outsider, the focus on recruiting adults and developing a clear vision makes perfect sense.
    The long march through the institutions is nearly complete.

Thanks
    Scout Purple is the "default". Other nations/principalities get a colour to differentiate them.

It's got to be everyone or no-one (personally I think that we should all be the same - #inclusivity)

Thanks
    I guess we all read into these things what we want to read ...

I was quite pleased with the overall thrust. The direction matches quite closely the outcome of the District workshop that I contributed to.

This was the main take-away message for:

Our priority for year one will be on what our volunteers and young people have asked for; developing amazing sections leaders with practical skills to deliver an inspiring programme.
    And the priorities for the main areas of development:

Develop amazing Section Leaders: Equipping Section Leaders with skills and knowledge

Digital programme planning: Making it easier to find and share programme ideas

Off the shelf programmes: Ready-made programmes focusing on top awards

Simpler training: Focusing on practical Scouting skills

Brand roll out: Rolling out the Skills for Life brand
    These I can generally get behind.

So focusing on programme, skills, and a consistent public image.

I rather like the "Skills for Life" message. I may not like some of the language and presentation around it, but the central message chimes quite well with why I think I do this.

Sure there are plenty of things that I don't have much support for (e.g. provision for under 6's, uniform review etc) but personally I am feeling much more positive about this strategic plan than I did about the last one.

I shall certainly run with the bits that work for my group.

Thanks
    Scout Purple is the "default". Other nations/principalities get a colour to differentiate them.

It's got to be everyone or no-one (personally I think that we should all be the same - #inclusivity)
    No no no, be different - #celebratediversity

But there's a can of worms best left unopened, methinks.
    The long march through the institutions is nearly complete.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ihatecamping For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (15-05-2018)

Thanks
    And what would Scotland etc say if they were described as "all others"?

EG:
    England: Scout Purple, Wales: Scout Red, Northern Ireland: Scout Green or Scout Purple (depending on local circumstances). All other Scout Groups, Districts, Regions or Areas should use Scout Blue.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Rush For This Useful Post:

Matt Donnelly (15-05-2018),PaulArthurs (15-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,985 Times in 1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Over all, the 'steer' as they're calling it, seems to be away from an organisation ran by hobbyists toward a quasi-statutory wing of youth work ran by semi-pro trainers.
    To be honest pa, I think that's your schtick on just about anything that comes out of HQ by definition, seems to me. Just the kind of mood you're in. Not to say you're right or wrong, that's just how you feel about it.

And yes, very motivated. to be honest, there would be something very badly wrong if they weren't.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2017 - May 2018
    http://www.jambowlree.org

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (16-05-2018),johnL (15-05-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    To be honest pa, I think that's your schtick on just about anything that comes out of HQ by definition, seems to me. Just the kind of mood you're in. Not to say you're right or wrong, that's just how you feel about it.

And yes, very motivated. to be honest, there would be something very badly wrong if they weren't.
    Actually have a problem with this Ian.

Why is my pov dismissed as 'schtick' and yours is all about being motivated?

That's actually a wee bit offensive.

I say these things because I care, not because I don't. I suppose we all have different perceptions of Scouts and what it's supposed to be - I get that, there's room for all of it. But, the noises coming out of HQ (forgive me yet more of my schtick ) is that we're providing a service which has as its main business education and preparation of young people to be useful members of society.

At the risk of coming over all mawkish, it reminds me of the Logical Song... Scouts used to have soul and character - crucially - driven by its volunteers, it used to be quirky. Now its driven by so-called 'professionals' who seem to be doing their best to iron all that out and present some sort of McScouting experience.

Sod that for a laugh. I can't get behind that.

- - - Updated - - -

And what would Scotland etc say if they were described as "all others"?

EG:
    England: Scout Purple, Wales: Scout Red, Northern Ireland: Scout Green or Scout Purple (depending on local circumstances). All other Scout Groups, Districts, Regions or Areas should use Scout Blue.
    Normally, we just have to get used to it.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

itchen (15-05-2018)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast