Thread: One for the munro baggers out there

Thanks

One for the munro baggers out there

One for the munro baggers out there....

I'm heading for the highlands next month and on my shopping list is Aonach Mor/Aonach Beag. I'm staying in Fort William and the obvious route is straight up the north side of Aonach Mor. That does though take me directly underneath the ski lift that runs to half way up the mountain all year round.... tell me.... for ticking off purposes..... does using it constitute cheating?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 725 Posts
    Yes use of the chair lift is not allowed (you could do them the long way around via the Grey Corries which is what I did for my QSA expedition although that did take us a week to walk to Fort William)

I'd be tempted to do Carn Mor Derg whilst you are there although might be too much of a push to do that as well in a day.
    Last edited by shiftypete; 16-05-2018 at 09:09 PM.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Alas! I'll probably cheat anyway. Plan is to have a day doing the Aonachs and the unpronouncable munro just to their east (I've done all of the others further over), another day doing CMD/Ben Nevis via the ridge route and another jumping on the train to Corrour and doing Beinn Na Lap as a bit of a quicky. It's not the most inspiring of the munros but it's the only one in that area I've not done and it's been bugging me.

One day I need to get round to doing Ben Alder. One of the most remote ones but since the closure of the Culra bothy it realistically means wild camping and no way I'm doing in peak midge season. I like an adventure but I'm not up for being eaten alive just yet.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeSkip View Post
    Plan is to have a day doing the Aonachs and the unpronouncable munro just to their east
    Sgurr Choinnich Mor? If so that's would be fairly ambitious in a day without using the chair lift, assuming you plan to return the same route. Watch your route on the descent down Aonach Beag, towards Sgurr Choinnich Mor, the route we took up it was pretty steep and screey, I wouldn't have wanted to descend that way (I think there was a better path which we missed as we set off straight from our high level campsite)

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Sgurr Choinnich Mor? If so that's would be fairly ambitious in a day without using the chair lift, assuming you plan to return the same route. Watch your route on the descent down Aonach Beag, towards Sgurr Choinnich Mor, the route we took up it was pretty steep and screey, I wouldn't have wanted to descend that way (I think there was a better path which we missed as we set off straight from our high level campsite)
    That's the chap!

Plan for the return is to go a bit further east and come down the north ridge of Stob Coire Easien, down through the woods and finish at Spean Bridge to get a train back to Fort William. Quite a big day but looks good, weather permitting of course.

I was reading a guide book that suggested the full Lochaber traverse is possible in a day, ie all the way from the eastern end of the Grey Corries all the way to Ben Nevis and down into Fort William. Frankly I am not super human and have no need of a 17 hour day and a week to recover!

Thanks
    I guess it's up to you whether it's cheating... Who's checking? If you want to brag about the Munros you've bagged, you probably aught to avoid the gondola. If you want to enjoy the mountain, do whichever you find more enjoyable. You may have gathered, I'm not really into the whole Munro bagging thing...

You can do the two Aonachs avoiding the gondola altogether if you approach from the top of Glen Nevis. There's a route description of that way, and via the gondola on WalkHighland: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/munros/aonach-mor

I've also been looking at Ben Alder, and there is another bothy on the south side, on the shores of the loch: https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/b...alder-cottage/

Whatever you end up doing, hope you have a great trip.

Thanks
    I was reading a guide book that suggested the full Lochaber traverse is possible in a day, ie all the way from the eastern end of the Grey Corries all the way to Ben Nevis and down into Fort William.
    Only possible for the serious fell runner given as I say that was our entire QSA expedition route.

- - - Updated - - -

Plan for the return is to go a bit further east and come down the north ridge of Stob Coire Easien, down through the woods and finish at Spean Bridge to get a train back to Fort William. Quite a big day but looks good, weather permitting of course.
    Ahh yes that sounds like a reasonable plan

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk