Thread: VBA anyone?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 832 Posts

VBA anyone?

In my day job masquerading as an IT professional...

We regularly create product catalogues in powerpoint, the data comes to us on a spreadsheet (in the form of a BOQ...) Long story short. I found a PP add-on (called PPTools Merge) that allows me to map textboxes to excel columns thus auto-populating a template slide.

Problem is, SNHS won't spend the $69.95 on a licence - so I have to remove the slide-sized text box that covers each slide, then delete out the three random characters it puts in front of everything I merge, (currently only 4 fields).

I mean, I'd just buy it, but that's 50. But then, it's always me that ends up having to delete the bits out that need deleted - the catalogue I have to do is 80 odd slides, so that times four...

I've recorded macros before, but PowerPoint doesn't let you do that, sadly, VBA is a foreign language to me, its like algebra... My brain doesn't bend that way. The macro would need to be in the template slide I have. I'd run PPT Merge, then the macro, then save-as... I think...

Any hints?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Are you basically saying that you want a macro that puts excel into powerpoint?
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 832 Posts
    No...

I'm just being a bit of a cheapskate - although, the NHS would probably buy a licence, but the paperwork is, well, its vast and daunting.

The wee program (or add-on - called PPT Merge) allows you to map excel columns to fields on a PowerPoint template - its actually really useful if you're building big presentations with lots of repetitious data - like catalogues.

I've tried to get people at work to not use PowerPoint, on account of it being terrible to use. But for what we do, it sort of makes sense. We also get massive lists of items (all stuff we buy for hospital equipping) in excel format. We then have to generate something the user can look at as an example (its a slide with an item code, an equipment group, a description and a sample image.)

PPT Merge populates the item code, the description and the equipment grouping (the image is a pain, but it changes for each project anyway), from an excel spreadsheet. Unfortunately, it also slips in three random letters at the beginning of each field it imports then places a massive text box over the entire slide to make you buy a licence. Currently I manually remove the giant text box so I can then delete the random characters from the beginning of the field mentioned.

Which I get, we use it, we should buy a licence, but, see the first sentence...

I've done it now, 80 slides... Only took half an hour and some mild RSI... And a facial tick...