Thread: Neckers - which one to wear?

Thanks

Neckers - which one to wear?

One of my Scouts has been selected for the Jamboree and they have just been issued with their Jamboree Unit neckers. His mum wants him to now wear his Jamboree Necker to events such as Remembrance Day Parades etc. rather than his group necker. My personal feeling is that Jamboree Unit neckers should just be for Jamboree events and for normal Scouting events he should just be wearing his normal group necker.

Am I been unnecessarily harsh?

I know as the Scout Leader I can set the rules, just want to know what other think and I don't want to open the floodgates to Scouts wearing any old necker they buy or gain form other special events.

Nick

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    One of my Scouts has been selected for the Jamboree and they have just been issued with their Jamboree Unit neckers. His mum wants him to now wear his Jamboree Necker to events such as Remembrance Day Parades etc. rather than his group necker. My personal feeling is that Jamboree Unit neckers should just be for Jamboree events and for normal Scouting events he should just be wearing his normal group necker.

I know as the Scout Leader I can set the rules, just want to know what other think and I don't want to open the floodgates to Scouts wearing any old necker they buy or gain form other special events.

Nick
    I would expect that if a young person was attending an event as a member of the group, then the group necker should be worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I bat for both teams...
    Yes, i'm bi... organisational!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 733 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Nick
    My view is the same as yours

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Why not both? Wear his group necker with a woggle and the jamboree one over the top with a friendship knot! This is what I do for events such as St George's Day and Remembrance when I wear an England or poppy necker over the top of my group necker.

Just make it clear that this is time-limited to the period up to the Jamboree and afterwards only when doing jamboree presentations.
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Secretary and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @wnscouts

Thanks
    If they were to wear both, I'd suggest the Group necker should be on top.

Thanks
    I can understand him (and by extension his family) being proud of his selection for the Jamboree so wanting to wear the necker, and it is a bit different to just a random necker acquired from a camp or bought from the internet. However the point of a uniform is that it creates uniformity so I think there is good justification that during group events such as Remembrance Day etc, the focus should be on what is being commemorated and being part of the group rather than individual achievement of Jamboree selection. If he wants to wear it as well on group nights then I'd be fine with that, but in formal public events I'd suggest he helps keep the tidy appearance of the group as a whole by just wearing the group one.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    As a former Jamboree unit leader I agree with the above - when he is with the group at formal events he should wear the Group necker.
    "Rach..... what do I do with the instant whip once it's boiling???"

AESL Phoenix (Afon) Cardiff
    SAGGA
    Birmingham Uni Scout and Guide Club (BUSAG) and SSAGO chairman many years ago....

Thanks
    Group events = Group necker
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,992 Times in 1,156 Posts
    My spidey senses are tingling...what do you expect to happen when you say no to mum, or rather the scout, and why is mum involved? Is she just asking because she wants to know the done thing? Or because her special soldier has a special necker and it would be cruel and mean and horrid to deny him a chance to wear it? Or something in between? Will wearing it create ill feeling in the group? Will being told not to wear it create ill feeling in the mum/boy?

I'd be glad they turned up.

Roll them both together and wear them both at once. Either vertically aligned so there is one point above the other, or with some horizontal separation so you can see some of both at the back, and then each side of the tails shows the colours of one of the neckers.
    Last edited by ianw; 11-06-2018 at 10:13 AM.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2017 - May 2018
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    If they are representing the group or the Jamboree unit I'd expect them to wear the respective necker atleast. If they want to also wear the other one then that's up to them.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Badge Secretary
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, etc.

Thanks
    How about stitching them together, half and half? Permanent membership of the group, permanent memento of the jamboree.
    The long march through the institutions is nearly complete.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,011 Times in 735 Posts
    I think it might depend on your troop.

Its been a few years (about ~20, it was Chile) since we had anyone go to a Jamboree, but we had a mixture of reactions among the rest of our troop at the time. In a sense, it was balanced because, we had the stereotypical high achiever going - which did lead to some ill-feeling, but we also had a scout who was a bit middle of the road, but a good friend of the high achiever.

What we did find was, not everyone can go, and/or not everyone could afford it - having these two young folk (and the wider group in the district) essentially holding their hands out for donations didn't go down well with the rest of the troop and some parents. This now occasionally manifest itself with school trips, where you get kids who expect others to help fund/resource their (quite middle class) trip to where ever...

On that basis, group necker for group stuff/Jamboree necker for jamboree stuff. But, if no one gives a crap - then both/neither/either...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

itchen (11-06-2018)

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Group event = Group necker
    Explorer event = Explorer unit necker
    Jamboree Unit event = Jamboree Unit necker

The individual will also be receiving a UK necker for the event, so I would expect the Jambo Unit Leader to issue guidance to the Unit for jambo activities as to when to wear the Jambo Unit necker and when to wear the UK Contingent necker.

Paul

nele
    Thanks
    Lots of different opinions on here, and different views on WSJ. Having had 3-5 people going to every WSJ since Chili (which was when we joined the group) we are very keen to promote and help the YP involved. Group events often have fundraising for them attached (which they run, things with added value for attendees like a cake stall) We don't legislate on neckers.. mostly the WSJ attendees wore both neckers. After WSJ most had a large collection and wore many at once when reporting back. We've also done the rolling 2 neckers together after a major camp.

If the public ask why has x got a different necker- it can be a matter of pride that you have someone representing your group at a world event.

Maybe for formal events like remembrance you wish to be at your smartest, but otherwise does this really matter in the long run?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nele For This Useful Post:

ianw (12-06-2018)

Thanks
    When I had a Jamboree necker, I wore that for Jamboree fundraising and when we did Jamboree events.

I wore group necker at all other times.

Though I wore the soft shell at every opportunity , whether I was in uniform or not

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group