Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hammocks or Tents?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I camp well away from the scouts. Partly because they are noisy, but also to give them semblance of independence and force self reliance on them.
    Apparently in the states they have a recommended minimum distance rule, so patrols are at least 100 yards (or something) from leaders.

The area that we have the Hammock wheel in, also has flat areas for hike tents, so ground dwellers are near their friends.
    I like that hammock wheel. Very nice.

We're going to have some interesting setups on our summer camp I think, there's a line of oak trees separating two bits of the field, so we'll either have free standing wheels on one side, or some will utilise the trees and have some poles coming off some trees. It's all going to be a bit random, so the Explorers should like it. As long as it's not too shanty town I won't mind.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    I've never had the chance to try out a hammock yet. In the summer my favourite thing to use with my Cubs is bell tents. However when it is colder I prefer to have them in hike tents as smaller tents are far warmer. I'm guessing that in a hammock you have similar problems to when you use a camp bed, in that they can feel quite cold as air moves around you so easily. What times of year would you say they are most suitable for and do you use any additional insulation? Certainly they are something I'd like to try at somepoint. Also considering having my Cubs sleep in shelters that they have made at some point but that would certainly be a summer activity.
    Group: 1st Framwellgate Moor Scout Group - Durham City and District - Durham Scout County.
    www.facebook.com/framscouts

Roles: Cub Scout Leader (Wednesday); Training Advisor - formerly Assistant Scout Leader.

IST member: 2010 World Scout Moot Kenya; 2017 World Scout Moot Iceland.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmbaker View Post
    I've never had the chance to try out a hammock yet. In the summer my favourite thing to use with my Cubs is bell tents. However when it is colder I prefer to have them in hike tents as smaller tents are far warmer. I'm guessing that in a hammock you have similar problems to when you use a camp bed, in that they can feel quite cold as air moves around you so easily. What times of year would you say they are most suitable for and do you use any additional insulation? Certainly they are something I'd like to try at somepoint. Also considering having my Cubs sleep in shelters that they have made at some point but that would certainly be a summer activity.
    We camp in hammocks pretty much all year, last was in November, and our next is the last week of Jan. Underblankets can be picked up for about 10 and take away a lot of the wind chill, as long as you ensure all the kids have a decent 4 season sleepbag, then they should be fine. I find them much warmer than a tent even in the coldest conditions.

Thanks
    Out of curiosity, what do you do with their kit bags and how do you deal with providing privacy for getting changed etc.?

Thanks
    We usually have a 'changing tent' for them if they want one, but most of the boys have mastered getting dressed in a sleeping bag - if it wee an Olympic sport we we would be gold medalists!

Thanks
    Kit bags under hammocks, or if really wet, they can keep them in the building.

If they need to they get changed in the shower area of the toilet block.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    Kit bags under hammocks, or if really wet, they can keep them in the building.

If they need to they get changed in the shower area of the toilet block.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Where we camp there are no buildings, we camp totally greenfield in a forest.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bernwood View Post
    Where we camp there are no buildings, we camp totally greenfield in a forest.

Replace "building" with "tent".