Thread: Wireless live feed

ACSL
    Thanks

Wireless live feed

Hi clever people.

I am trying to set up a new project with my work (Not scouting related) and have run into a slight problem. I need to have a live feed of a gaming area, to watch the people and provide hints etc., except the area in question is essentially an island, around 50m from the main land, with no power. Audio feed would be nice but is not essential. Currently, the only idea we have is using GoPro (or similar) cameras feeding to a laptop/tablet.

I have seen various home security cameras but they all seem to either need to be connected to WiFi, or work via 4G, which could get expensive, not too sure at the moment.

Anyone able to provide a better solution? It needs to be able to run for at least 1.5hours per battery, which could then be replaced if needed (Which is where GoPros could be an issue), work in any weather and provide a feed possibly only to around 10-30m through light woods, depending on the set up. Being able to operate multiple cameras would be great, but not essential.

Thanks.
    Last edited by jarrad; 23-06-2018 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks
    You can send WiFi internet through the air via two dishes.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Executive Committee Member
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

ACSL
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    You can send WiFi internet through the air via two dishes.
    I've never come across anything like that. Would you not need power at both ends? I'll investigate.

We (ie. me and dad) are looking at the possibility of running a standard CCTV system of a large battery, apparently the one he uses runs on 12v so may be possible, running wires around the island should be possible to a small "control hut".

Thanks
    Try asking on the Blue Room Its a technical theatre forum where wireless links for both audio and video are fairly commonplace. I guess the final answer will depend on budget as much as anything, nothing is impossible provided you've got the cash.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 832 Posts
    Mmm...

Budget is probably key. We have an infrared AV sender in our hall, but its line of sight and ropey past 20m.

A wifi repeater/booster on the mainland with a wifi camera on the island. You can hotspot a phone to provide the base wifi signal - we've also done that in our hall so we could use a chromecast - but over a much smaller area...

For power on the island? Wireless cameras run at 5-9v, perhaps a car battery stepped up to mains (then you can just plug in as normal), or a solar panel...

All options cost money.

I suppose a peer to peer network, then use laptop cameras to skype (sort of) might work... Not sure what the effective range would be on that though and often you still need an internet connection for the software to work - a phone hotspot works for us, bandwidth doesn't have to be great...

The problem I think you might have if you go rough and ready is reliability. I'd consider going cap in hand to a set up that does it professionally, tell them its for the children and they can advertise at what ever your event is and/or punt their company name out on your social media channels.

Thanks
    Have you considered running a cable from the shore to the island? 50m isn't very far and provided you only used low voltage could be done safely, if you used power over ethernet you could feed the cable into a hose, lay the hose to the island and then run a Raspberry Pi with a camera on the island. Battery life would no longer be a problem.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (24-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,185 Times in 786 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Have you considered running a cable from the shore to the island? 50m isn't very far and provided you only used low voltage could be done safely, if you used power over ethernet you could feed the cable into a hose, lay the hose to the island and then run a Raspberry Pi with a camera on the island. Battery life would no longer be a problem.
    I think something like this is how I would approach it so long as it was allowable/practical

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

ACSL
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It is something that I thought about. However, it is a sailing lake (we are primarily a water sports centre) about 12 feet deep. The wire would have to be either 30 feet in the air or string enough to withstand being caught be anchors/masts dragging in the water so not really practical. An option that has been suggested is running the system from our small yacht, anchored a short distance away, which runs on 12v. It would be a much smaller area which could be cordoned off when in use.

A couple of ideas such as a "tree house" type control room not needing power are also being looked at.
    Last edited by jarrad; 27-06-2018 at 12:44 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 832 Posts
    You used to be able to buy AV receiver camera kits.

I still have one kicking about.

Advantages of this? The camera worked of a 9v battery and lasted a good while (~6hrs). At the other end, you got an AV receiver (mains supplied) which I plugged into an analogue LCD mini TV.

The range was supposed to be good for 50 to 100m. Ebay was awash with them, but they've since been overtaken by wifi gear.

https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/D...43&prm=1.2.1.1

Is the only one I could find. I'm not sure how you'd have more than one camera on at a time. The receiver can be tuned, but from memory, you couldn't vary the output signal from the camera.

There was no fancy split screen facility for it either - it just plugged into a phono-scart connector and appeared on one of the aux channels.

It was a solid, simple set up.