Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To Website or Not

Thanks
    Thanked 3,308 Times in 1,421 Posts
    [QUOTE=campwarden;458029]Surely that depends whether you're an experienced leader looking for a new project to take on, or whether you're a newcomer looking to step into a role with an established group. I love a project but i know lots of people just want to do their hour or two a week and are more likely to do that in a group that they know is well run.[/QUOTE]

indeed,

i want to be part of a successful team now. I've got a young family and i want the flexibility of missing weeks and not being the only person with a camp permit or the ability/ time/ inclination to run weekend events.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

Bloory (26-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 845 Posts
    Facebook page versus Website.

Your Fb page is a website - essentially...

Its what ever habits people have got into. We only have the fb page, so that's what pops up on searches (along with the Twitter page which the Cub section favours). If you're getting all your new leader/members via your website contact form, that doesn't mean they're finding your web page necessarily, it means to join, they're being directed to your contact form.

Either will work if it's had a chance to embed in the conscience of your community, but Facebook is easier and I'd argue, a lot more effective when it comes to being found and shared. I think though, if you have both, it splits attentions - which can be the death of a page - be it on Facebook or not.

Pick one and stick with it and I suppose, keep it updated.
    Last edited by pa_broon74; 25-06-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Thanks
    I think a website is key. It is your self-curated face to the world. A Facebook Page etc is all well and good, but it (and all social media) should be an addendum to your website - this is where you can focus on the "right" elements for recruitment and other key information.

It doesn't need to be maintained directly - they are your shop window or recruitment brochure, with social media acting as your "this is what we're up to" feed.
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ASLChris For This Useful Post:

pstretch (25-06-2018),shiftypete (25-06-2018)

Thanks
    [QUOTE=campwarden;458029]Surely that depends whether you're an experienced leader looking for a new project to take on, or whether you're a newcomer looking to step into a role with an established group. I love a project but i know lots of people just want to do their hour or two a week and are more likely to do that in a group that they know is well run.[/QUOTE]

And shouldn't the DC take that into account, try to place you with a group/section that's good for you and good for them?
    (If you have website skills maybe the best placing for you is the really active, exciting group that doesn't have a website because they have nobody with those skills. The one that you'd never know about from your google.)
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

Thanks
    My feeling on the broader point is that while social media is nice, and often easier to use than a proper website, social media has, and will continue, to come and go. Facebook has had some longevity but I suspect that in due course something else will overtake it. For the youth market instagram already has and for the older age group I have little doubt something else will in due course. And facebook will go the way of friendsreunited, high five, myspace and the rest.

A proper website though, while it needs updating, won't need constantly moving to somewhere new every few years.

I think of it as the well cut suit of electronic media. Never going to be the height of fashion or particularly dan wiz da kidz, and may cost you a bit more money but will be consistently useful for the long term.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CambridgeSkip For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (25-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,308 Times in 1,421 Posts
    [QUOTE=JohnR;458034]And shouldn't the DC take that into account, try to place you with a group/section that's good for you and good for them?
    (If you have website skills maybe the best placing for you is the really active, exciting group that doesn't have a website because they have nobody with those skills. The one that you'd never know about from your google.)[/QUOTE]

i think that you credit DCs with better HR skills than I do sadly.

I want to make up my own mind and the public face of the group is how i would do that.
    Last edited by big chris; 25-06-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=CambridgeSkip;458035]My feeling on the broader point is that while social media is nice, and often easier to use than a proper website, social media has, and will continue, to come and go. Facebook has had some longevity but I suspect that in due course something else will overtake it. For the youth market instagram already has and for the older age group I have little doubt something else will in due course. And facebook will go the way of friendsreunited, high five, myspace and the rest.

A proper website though, while it needs updating, won't need constantly moving to somewhere new every few years.

I think of it as the well cut suit of electronic media. Never going to be the height of fashion or particularly dan wiz da kidz, and may cost you a bit more money but will be consistently useful for the long term.[/QUOTE]

I disagree, somewhat mildly.

If your Fb page is open to the public, other than it looking like a Facebook page and not a website, what difference does it make if Facebook takes a nose dive - it'll still be there.

Does Facebook not transcend social media label somewhat, is it not a different animal from bebo or myspace? And is not social media exactly what a group needs anyway? I suspect there are those who maybe look down their nose at Facebook - sure I'm not keen on anywhere having a monopoly, but if for ten years my page is getting ten times as many views as a website gets in 100 years, even if I had to move onto another platform after a while, is that not a fair compromise?

Websites also need to keep up with new technologies coming online, to say you'd have to move from Facebook and rebuild, is also true of websites.

But, as I said before, its what ever presence you've got entrenched. In some regards, it doesn't really matter if it's Facebook or a standalone website.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
    If I moved into a new area I would probably contact the DC to dicuss what Group might suit me and what role. I would then research the possible Groups myself looking at who has websites and facebook presence etc and what these tell me about them etc and then go and visit each of them a couple of times to get a feel for them. Only then would I make my decision as I would not want to spend my spare time with people I don't get on with or in a Group with an entirely different ethos to mine (e.g. I don't really go in for jamboree type camps and prefer greenfield camping).

When I went to Uni (18 years ago now!) and I volunteered with a Group I looked on the District website where the various Groups near me in Sheffield were located and what days they met etc and picked one convieient for me, however I knew I only intended on helping with Beavers and only attending weekly Section Meetings, not camps and not getting involved with other Sections etc so it was less important to me what the Group was like really.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    [QUOTE=big chris;458036]i think that you credit DCs with better HR skills than I do sadly.

I want to make up my own mind and the public face of the group is how i would do that.[/QUOTE]

What shiftypete says, really. Why does it have to be either/or?
    John Russell

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR For This Useful Post:

big chris (25-06-2018)

Thanks
    [QUOTE=JohnR;458034]And shouldn't the DC take that into account, try to place you with a group/section that's good for you and good for them?
    (If you have website skills maybe the best placing for you is the really active, exciting group that doesn't have a website because they have nobody with those skills. The one that you'd never know about from your google.)[/QUOTE]

But is it just about the skills that a volunteer wants to use?

I am a manager in my day job. Doesnt mean I want to use those management skills when volunteering. I'd rather be out camping, or pottering around the site with the mower, or teaching the Scouts how to build a raft.

If I designed websites for a living, i probably wouldnt want to spend my evenings working on a scout group website. I'm reasonably competent at using wordpress - doesnt mean i want that to be my contribution to Scouting.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=ASLChris;458033]I think a website is key. It is your self-curated face to the world. A Facebook Page etc is all well and good, but it (and all social media) should be an addendum to your website - this is where you can focus on the "right" elements for recruitment and other key information.

It doesn't need to be maintained directly - they are your shop window or recruitment brochure, with social media acting as your "this is what we're up to" feed.[/QUOTE]

If only someone had a lovely, newly branded theme available ;-)
    Jonathan Bloor
    Escouts Team
    Group Scout Leader - 4th Ashby de la Zouch

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloory For This Useful Post:

Keith (26-06-2018)

Thanks
    [QUOTE=JohnR;458028]When I moved to a new area I asked HQ who the local DC was, then asked him which group needed me. Whether or not they were doing fantastic things wasn't relevant - wasn't that what I was volunteering for? Just saying.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough - but I am only moving to this place for a year, so to be honest I just want to slot into a group which is already doing well!

Thanks
    [QUOTE=campwarden;458048]But is it just about the skills that a volunteer wants to use?

I am a manager in my day job. Doesnt mean I want to use those management skills when volunteering. I'd rather be out camping, or pottering around the site with the mower, or teaching the Scouts how to build a raft.

If I designed websites for a living, i probably wouldnt want to spend my evenings working on a scout group website. I'm reasonably competent at using wordpress - doesnt mean i want that to be my contribution to Scouting.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I don't understand. It is absolutely, totally, about the skills that the volunteer wants to use. The skills that the volunteer wants to use in Scouting may well be totally different to the skills that they use in their day job.

When the volunteer has decided what they want to offer it is then about how they pick who to offer it to. I'm suggesting that a website only shows part of the story and talking to the DC may show more of the story. I'm also suggesting that since this is Scouting (and probably also volunteering more generally) the volunteer is hopefully also thinking about where they would be useful as well as where they would enjoy themselves, and the DC should be a good person to advise on that.
    John Russell

Thanks
    I don't think there's a right answer to this due to the disparities that exist between districts.

I believe we now have a DC, but I've never met him, he's never visited any of our section meetings or attended any of our events. On the other hand, I know some DC's do do all those things. I suppose if you asked the DC, you'd get a pretty good idea quite quickly, just how in touch they were with the groups in their district.

Everything that comes after that is personal choice, because is that not the whole point of volunteering?

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Bloory;458049]If only someone had a lovely, newly branded theme available ;-)[/QUOTE]

I just need to finish it off so that it can be easily updated! :tong:
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts