Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To Website or Not

Thanks

To Website or Not

Hello

For the past 5 years I have run our group website, but I've 95% decided to delete it. The reason being that we don't have much use for it as we have a pretty strong FB page, so I find the website just duplicates the FB page. All our recruits and contact comes through the FB page, I rarely get anything thru from the website. All forms or info go thru the FB page or OSM. In fact we have one section, won't even use the website as there a bit techno phobic for some reason. So I'm wondering do we dump the website and just stick with the FB page or keep soldiering on with the website.

Thanks
    Might be an idea to post a link, then those website gurus here can take a look and offer a considered opinion. :)
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 805 Posts
    Our website is pretty much static these days, i do bung a few more photos of events on there from time to time so people can see what sort of thing we get up to. So the website takes very little effort to maintain and is very low cost and we find it very useful as ALL of our joining enquiries are directed via the joining pages on our website and probably over 90% of the new volunteers we have recruited in the last 3 years (around 10 people) have come via the volunteering form on our website. Its also a useful place to put things like general info for parents which neither facebook nor OSM seems very good for.

We do have a Facebook group which is pretty active and a Facebook page which we don't use as much and certainly we haven't particularly tried using it as a recruiting tool too much.
    Last edited by shiftypete; 24-06-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

itchen (24-06-2018)

Thanks
    We decided to take down our website years ago, and replace it with this: [url]http://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk[/url]

We have a very active closed Facebook group.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Executive Committee Member
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,353 Times in 1,447 Posts
    I found it hard to get details of the local scout group to volunteer.

A website for any organisation is surely vital? First thing I did after joining was build them a site.

We should be controlling our public face.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by big chris; 24-06-2018 at 07:21 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

Bushfella (25-06-2018),itchen (24-06-2018),shiftypete (24-06-2018)

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Keith;458017]We decided to take down our website years ago, and replace it with this: [url]http://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk[/url]

We have a very active closed Facebook group.[/QUOTE]Times?

What do you do?

Who are the leaders?

Where do you meet?

Got your own building?

Need help?

This is useless, no?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (24-06-2018)

Thanks
    [QUOTE=big chris;458019]Times?

What do you do?

Who are the leaders?

Where do you meet?

Got your own building?

Need help?

This is useless, no?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    Agreed. I am stongly of the opintion that our Group is recruiting young professionals with a Scouting background when others around us are not because we are the only Group in the area with a half decent mobile friendly website that makes it look like we are a vaguely active Group and not a bunch of old fogeys stuck in a dusty Scout hall and we make it very clear we want volunteers and how to volunteer, oh and when our sessions are held so they know when they would be volunteering.

We also do very well in getting youth member joining enquiries via the website (to the extent we have just had to close our Cub Pack to direct entrants and start a waiting list for it for about the first time in living memory).

([URL="http://falkonerscouts.org.uk"]falkonerscouts.org.uk[/URL] for those that are on tapatalk and can't see my signature

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    I think a website is a useful presence - we have one of the few in our District and probably get most of the enquiries for the District. Ours is now pretty static except for the photo album. We get most of our YP applications through the contact page and in the last year an adult leader with no connection to any of the town's groups - he found our site.
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

Thanks
    [QUOTE=big chris;458019]Times?

What do you do?

Who are the leaders?

Where do you meet?

Got your own building?

Need help?

This is useless, no?

It was decided that we didn't need a separate website for our group.

We are the most popular group on the district waiting list and we've never had to advertise or recruit young people for atleast 20 years.

The majority of joining requests and external volunteers come through our page on the TSA, the district website (sometimes via county), through social media and through public and community events. We are expecting to recruit some new volunteers after a family camp we have coming up.

A few weeks ago we received another certificate for growing the group at the County AGM.

Two years ago I challenged a Beaver to complete all his activity badges between gaining his Bronze Award and moving onto Cubs and this happened: [url]https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/720363/Three-Cubs-win-every-badge-possible[/url]

We do not publish times or meeting places online although the days we meet are on the district website.

I would quite like to have something more substantial on the link, maybe use it more for blogging with a few pages of info, but that's something for the future maybe.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager

Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Keith;458023]It was decided that we didn't need a separate website for our group.

We are the most popular group on the district waiting list and we've never had to advertise or recruit young people for atleast 20 years.

The majority of joining requests and external volunteers come through our page on the TSA, the district website (sometimes via county), through social media and through public and community events. We are expecting to recruit some new volunteers after a family camp we have coming up.

A few weeks ago we received another certificate for growing the group at the County AGM.

Two years ago I challenged a Beaver to complete all his activity badges between gaining his Bronze Award and moving onto Cubs and this happened: [url]https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/720363/Three-Cubs-win-every-badge-possible[/url]

We do not publish times or meeting places online although the days we meet are on the district website.

I would quite like to have something more substantial on the link, maybe use it more for blogging with a few pages of info, but that's something for the future maybe.[/QUOTE]That page cannot be edited. Nor can the contact person be changed to your own.

So my old group's 'official page' is not our copy and the contact person is somebody I had never met. The old DC's wife.

Thanks
    I don't think we have ever succesfully had a volunteer come via the national site, far too many links in the chain trying to pass on info for it to get to us and get a response to the potential volunteer in a timely manner.

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk

Thanks
    [QUOTE=big chris;458024]That page cannot be edited. Nor can the contact person be changed to your own.

So my old group's 'official page' is not our copy and the contact person is somebody I had never met. The old DC's wife.

Ours is the current district waiting list secretary and our district have always managed to update the contact person when it's changed.

It's not as good as our own page or website, but it's better than a blank page or an error message.

If i'm honest, id rather they used our TSA page then the Google Form on the district website.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager

Thanks
    I'm moving to a new area in a few months and will be looking for a new group. How will I look? By Googling '[Place Name] Scout Groups', and seeing who looks like they do lots of exciting things on their websites. Your group might be doing fantastic things and I might have a fab time there as a leader, but if I can't find out anything about you, I'm unlikely to want to volunteer with you!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hisdark For This Useful Post:

big chris (25-06-2018),shiftypete (25-06-2018)

Thanks
    When I moved to a new area I asked HQ who the local DC was, then asked him which group needed me. Whether or not they were doing fantastic things wasn't relevant - wasn't that what I was volunteering for? Just saying.
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=JohnR;458028]When I moved to a new area I asked HQ who the local DC was, then asked him which group needed me. Whether or not they were doing fantastic things wasn't relevant - wasn't that what I was volunteering for? Just saying.[/QUOTE]

Surely that depends whether you're an experienced leader looking for a new project to take on, or whether you're a newcomer looking to step into a role with an established group. I love a project but i know lots of people just want to do their hour or two a week and are more likely to do that in a group that they know is well run.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (25-06-2018)