Thread: Brownsea Island Camping- Tips and Tricks

Thanks

Question Brownsea Island Camping- Tips and Tricks

Hi All,

Currently in the early stage of planning for our Group Camp next year, which we are planning will be on Brownsea Island. Its our 50th (ish- records aren't great and the group history is a bit complicated!) birthday so were doing something a bit different from our typical "arrive at Activity Centre on mass, book every activity going and let it run itself" approach.

We have provisionally booked our dates (as solid as the NT will let us do for 2019 until late September) and have made some initial enquires to get an idea of pricing on ferries.

I suspect our party size will be circa 80, maybe up to 100 as take up may be higher than usual for this event given its "different". Three nights over a bank holiday weekend.

Any tips, trick, learning curves or suggestions the E-Scouts wisdom has to offer? I went as a knobbly knee-ed Cub Scouts for the day once but not been as a group leader/ event organiser as I am this time.

Intersted especially in programme/ activity thoughts and recommendations as well as thoughts on the obvious logistical challenges particularly.

Thank in advanced.

Dan
    --
    Daniel Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group
    North London District Scouts

NRSA Rifle Instructor
    Archery GB Instructor/ Permit Holder
    NA Permit Holder
    Radio Amateur (M6DSH)

web: www.9thmuswellhill.co.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill

Follow our Facebook Page

www.facebook.com/9thmuswellhill

Thanks
    The car park just round the corner from the one on the quayside in Poole is cheaper and much less busy, it also has no height barrier. We were told by the Parking Department of Poole Council that if your vehicle occupies more than one space (i.e. long Minibus) just buy 2 tickets for it to save any problems. Not been for a couple of years so this may have changed. Try calling the Parking Department for their recommendations as they were very helpful - I think they they just liked speaking to someone that wasn't complaining!

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The car park just round the corner from the one on the quayside in Poole is cheaper and much less busy, it also has no height barrier. We were told by the Parking Department of Poole Council that if your vehicle occupies more than one space (i.e. long Minibus) just buy 2 tickets for it to save any problems. Not been for a couple of years so this may have changed. Try calling the Parking Department for their recommendations as they were very helpful - I think they they just liked speaking to someone that wasn't complaining!

We used the reasonably priced and mostly empty Harbourside car park for our Brownsea visit last year based on Escouts recommendations. But beware the very tight exit chicane - it took ages to get our minibuses back out with millimetres to spare.

https://goo.gl/maps/stxGvRrPidp
    Last edited by pstretch; 09-08-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Thanks
    Brownsea has something of a reputation for wasps. Take loads of insect repellant and the magic spray for stings!

Thanks
    Brownsea has something of a reputation for wasps. Take loads of insect repellant and the magic spray for stings!

Thanks
    If you're taking those sort of numbers i'd have thought your biggest issue will be kit transport - for people i'd use coaches and not have to worry about parking.

What are you doing about "wet weather" space? Does brownsea have marquees/party tents you can borrow or are you going to have to lug stuff across from the mainland?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

derekchambers (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 707 Posts
    Not just camping kit either but food and personal kit as I undestand it the ferry company restrict the size and number of bags you can take

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with