Thread: Brownsea Island Camping- Tips and Tricks

Thanks

Question Brownsea Island Camping- Tips and Tricks

Hi All,

Currently in the early stage of planning for our Group Camp next year, which we are planning will be on Brownsea Island. Its our 50th (ish- records aren't great and the group history is a bit complicated!) birthday so were doing something a bit different from our typical "arrive at Activity Centre on mass, book every activity going and let it run itself" approach.

We have provisionally booked our dates (as solid as the NT will let us do for 2019 until late September) and have made some initial enquires to get an idea of pricing on ferries.

I suspect our party size will be circa 80, maybe up to 100 as take up may be higher than usual for this event given its "different". Three nights over a bank holiday weekend.

Any tips, trick, learning curves or suggestions the E-Scouts wisdom has to offer? I went as a knobbly knee-ed Cub Scouts for the day once but not been as a group leader/ event organiser as I am this time.

Intersted especially in programme/ activity thoughts and recommendations as well as thoughts on the obvious logistical challenges particularly.

Thank in advanced.

Dan
    --
    Daniel Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group
    North London District Scouts

NRSA Rifle Instructor
    Archery GB Instructor/ Permit Holder
    NA Permit Holder
    Radio Amateur (M6DSH)

web: www.9thmuswellhill.co.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill

Follow our Facebook Page

www.facebook.com/9thmuswellhill

Thanks
    The car park just round the corner from the one on the quayside in Poole is cheaper and much less busy, it also has no height barrier. We were told by the Parking Department of Poole Council that if your vehicle occupies more than one space (i.e. long Minibus) just buy 2 tickets for it to save any problems. Not been for a couple of years so this may have changed. Try calling the Parking Department for their recommendations as they were very helpful - I think they they just liked speaking to someone that wasn't complaining!

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The car park just round the corner from the one on the quayside in Poole is cheaper and much less busy, it also has no height barrier. We were told by the Parking Department of Poole Council that if your vehicle occupies more than one space (i.e. long Minibus) just buy 2 tickets for it to save any problems. Not been for a couple of years so this may have changed. Try calling the Parking Department for their recommendations as they were very helpful - I think they they just liked speaking to someone that wasn't complaining!

We used the reasonably priced and mostly empty Harbourside car park for our Brownsea visit last year based on Escouts recommendations. But beware the very tight exit chicane - it took ages to get our minibuses back out with millimetres to spare.

https://goo.gl/maps/stxGvRrPidp
    Last edited by pstretch; 09-08-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Thanks
    Brownsea has something of a reputation for wasps. Take loads of insect repellant and the magic spray for stings!

Thanks
    Brownsea has something of a reputation for wasps. Take loads of insect repellant and the magic spray for stings!

Thanks
    If you're taking those sort of numbers i'd have thought your biggest issue will be kit transport - for people i'd use coaches and not have to worry about parking.

What are you doing about "wet weather" space? Does brownsea have marquees/party tents you can borrow or are you going to have to lug stuff across from the mainland?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

derekchambers (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,097 Times in 723 Posts
    Not just camping kit either but food and personal kit as I undestand it the ferry company restrict the size and number of bags you can take

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thanked 1,985 Times in 1,150 Posts
    Yup, one of your biggest issues will be kit transport. The NT will transport kit on their own boat, but it's tide dependent. The yellow ferries can also be a bit more flexible than their website suggests, we nearly missed our ferry back because a group unloaded a large amount of gear off a yellow ferry. They're a bit more easy going if you're on a boat that won't have many "normal" visitors, like the last few boats of the day, or the first few. Both will charge though. Obviously.

You can rent gear that they already have on the island. Mess tents, party tents, gas burners, tables gas etc etc.

If the NT haven't sent you their booking spreadsheet I've got the 2018 one you could use to price things up. PM me if you need it.

We only went for one night, so we walked to pottery pier and skimmed stones, did an investiture at the stone, had a reading of the original scout laws from scouting for boys, and a reading of the timetable for the original camp. Actually, as for activities, well, why not have the Saturday as an experimental camp day? Follow the programme (okay, except maybe 17:15 rub down and change), do some scout skills, tracking or something very traditional. It's a good place for wide games.

Also, don't feed the peacocks, or they'll start following you around, and they're not adverse to nicking food lying around. We didn't notice a wasp problem particularly, but they start getting dozy and lazy in September so you might have more of an issue, plus with central catering (we were lightweight so maybe that's why we escaped) they'll learn where you are.

Oh, and you won't be able to have a fire/campfire.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2017 - May 2018
    http://www.jambowlree.org