Thread: Moving group - do you need to be reinvested?

Thanks

Moving group - do you need to be reinvested?

I have 2 boys, 10 and 12, one has been a scout for 2 years the other is about to start scouts having been a cub/beaver. For various reasons they are moving scout group, different group, different district.

The question is does the existing scout need to be reinvested in the new group? Or can he go straight into the new group? The 10yo will need to be invested as he hasn't been a scout yet...

Also their first meeting is tonight, should they wear their neckers from the group they are leaving, or go neckerless?

Cheers

Thanks
    They will need to be invested into the new group, but of course they are still Scouts (once invested into scouting, each new investiture is into the new section/group - they don't stop being scouts inbetween). The process and investiture will be managed by the new group.

I would suggest that they wear their uniform sans necker, as the necker is a group signifier. If you're not sure, just ask their new leader!
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Secretary and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @wnscouts

Thanks
    Some groups do reinvest when they present them with their new group necker, some don't. They're still members of Scouting.

They can wear their uniform and previous group necker.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    Assistant Beaver Scout Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Badge Secretary
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, etc.

Thanks
    When we welcome kids in from another group I ask them to come in their uniform including necker. With a bit of luck they're as proud of their old group as our kids are of ours, and they can switch allegiance when they like.
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

Thanks
    As they are already members of TSA they do not need re-investing, but why not take the opportunity to welcome them by letting them re-make their promise, or just get everyone to do it at the beginning of term? I'm with John on scarves - their identity is important to them so they wear the existing scarf until they are ready to make the switch. (In our case usually when I remember to order the new ones)
    The Roman Empire did not become great by holding meetings. It did so by killing everyone that opposed their point of view.

Thanks
    Don't think there is a right or wrong on this as such. I don't remember ever having invested someone who is transferring- there already a member in my eyes. As for new scarf and group tape i'd probably give them new ones to swap after a week or two (simply so I don't waste a set if we never see them again after week 1!).
    --
    Daniel Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group
    North London District Scouts

NRSA Rifle Instructor
    Archery GB Instructor/ Permit Holder
    NA Permit Holder
    Radio Amateur (M6DSH)

web: www.9thmuswellhill.co.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill

Follow our Facebook Page

www.facebook.com/9thmuswellhill

Thanks
    We had a group that closed and it was agreed that all the Beavers and Scouts would come to our Group and the Cubs to another (there are reasons for that and individuals could make another choice if they chose).

We allowed all their members to wear their necker until they either changed section or they made a choce that they wanted to wear the same necker as our Group.

It took a few years to work through but it worked.

I realise that this is different to the case in question but I would say they wear their own until they decide that they want to stay and then welcome them to the Group by presenting them with a necker and if Group policy dictates have them renew their Promise - but not necessary.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 712 Posts
    The way we work in such situations os they come along waering their previous Group necker and when they have decided they are sticking around in our Group (so usually after about 4 weeks) we invest them into our Group (as opposed to as a member of Scouting) and at that point give them our Group necker to wear instead of their old Group one.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    There's no right or wrong way. I actually asked Gilwell years ago. We've had several over the years. One was doing his Scouting abroad and was really keen to show of his uniform and badges & we made a big fuss of it. Another was less keen. It's up to you how you welcome them.