Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So I wrote a book - bit of help needed

Thanks
    You could look at names commonly used in sport for age groups, so Juniors and Seniors, I've seen Nippers, and some sports sub-divide junior into Cadets and Juniors. So Nipper, Junior, Cadet and Senior Squads. Within each Squad you could have Teams, or go nautical with Crews or Watches. Yes, Red Watch Leader in Junior Squad sounds like the sort of kid who'd be up for an adventure.

But look what you've gone and done, you've got me thinking! We're doing a sleepover for Remembrance, sleeping over Saturday night then getting the hall ready for the parents to turn up for the Service on Sunday morning. The Scouts have asked if they can come too. And now I'm thinking of Watches taking it in turns to keep watch all night. They'll thank you for that.
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

Thanks
    I've written several games, camp planners, and cook books for cubs and published them through Kindle, it works really well, and although not made me rich has been paying me around 40 a month on average for the last two years

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bernwood For This Useful Post:

big chris (16-09-2018)

Thanks
    Ooh, watches. Forenoon, First, Afternoon, Middle, Dogs, Morning, long off.......... mmmmmmm
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun...
    GSL 1st Aylburton & Lydney, TA, ESL(YL), District Campsite Warden & webmanager .....only 1 hour a week, they said (not pointing out that was what was left)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    re. publisher: There seems to be money to be made from self-publishing via kindle.

you control the pricing etc - i listened to a think on R4 a while ago and the authors who self published were b happy with the control, they can drop the price of their first novel to suck people in or give away a chapter free of the second.

That has worked on me... i pay for books from a few uk crime writers based on cheap deals that got me into them or free chapters that were good enough to make me want to carry on.
    Broadly, you can make money from self-publishing, but you need to write a lot of books to do it effectively. If you can't keep up a fairly high publishing rate (more than 1 book/year) and you can get an agent/publisher, publishing traditionally will probably get you more money.

To answer the actual question: most of them you could probably do by taking names from some other country's Scouting Associations (either English-speaking or translated). Alternatively, I'm sure if you asked the Navigators or some other non-TSA Scout Association, they wouldn't mind you using their names for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    On the terms, you are going to be a tad stuffed finding terms that work but don't sound twee. The ones to avoid, I guess, would be Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorers, but then again, I don't think there is any copyright on any of these terms - more than one organisation uses the term Explorer.

I suspect that it will be obvious that you are referring to Scouts, so stick with Scouting references, mix and match, be an independent Scout Group - there are more than you would imagine. The terms Trrop, Unit, service crew etc., are open for anyone to use.

Publishing, I hate to be negative, and I admire anyone who can put a book together, you have no idea how many false starts I have made, but getting a publisher to buy into your first book could be very difficult. If you self publish, you then have a garage full of books and you need to go out and sell them.

I would advise digital publishing, it is cheap, it gets you a base readership, and you might just make a few pennies, if your work is liked and well read, it will make your second book more likely to attract a publisher.

I have a colleague who writes books, he is on his fifth or sixth book. He took the self publishing route, because he had a niche market that he knew would buy books on his topic. And here is the biggest tip you are going to get, from a man who may write for a living but cannot type to save himself, find someone to edit your book, not a friend, someone who will pick you up on your English, and on your plotlines. Many self published books, paper or digital fail because they surprise people with English they don't expect to see, and they have flaws in their plot line, I recall reading one book, it badly needed editing, but otherwise was a good story, but... for the first quarter of the book there was a pretty major character, who then vanished without trace and never reappeared. That character's role in the book was superfluous to the story. A good editor would have sorted that.

Good luck with the career as a writer.
    As far as the "self-publishing to get into publishing goes": it's not necessarily beneficial. Unless you sell a lot of books (think top 100 on Amazon self-published bestsellers), the basic effect of self-publishing (at least under your own name) is to take you from being an unknown quantity to a known quantity: publishers broadly stop considering the possibility that your books will turn into blockbusters. A similar effect is the cause of the vast numbers of authors who publish a single moderately-successful book, then nothing else: the first book didn't make the publisher a significant amount of money, so they're reluctant to pick up a second from the same author over some new author (who might just turn out to be the "next big thing").

Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 774 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesam3 View Post
    Broadly, you can make money from self-publishing, but you need to write a lot of books to do it effectively. If you can't keep up a fairly high publishing rate (more than 1 book/year) and you can get an agent/publisher, publishing traditionally will probably get you more money.

To answer the actual question: most of them you could probably do by taking names from some other country's Scouting Associations (either English-speaking or translated). Alternatively, I'm sure if you asked the Navigators or some other non-TSA Scout Association, they wouldn't mind you using their names for everything.

As far as the "self-publishing to get into publishing goes": it's not necessarily beneficial. Unless you sell a lot of books (think top 100 on Amazon self-published bestsellers), the basic effect of self-publishing (at least under your own name) is to take you from being an unknown quantity to a known quantity: publishers broadly stop considering the possibility that your books will turn into blockbusters. A similar effect is the cause of the vast numbers of authors who publish a single moderately-successful book, then nothing else: the first book didn't make the publisher a significant amount of money, so they're reluctant to pick up a second from the same author over some new author (who might just turn out to be the "next big thing").

There are now real (and new problems) with publishing in any form. Firstly, getting a publisher or an agent to get you published - it's next to impossible. I mean, it's always been hard. For every writer who is decent, there are about a hundred who think they're decent. With the advent of self-publishing on Amazon and Smashwords, means, there are even more people publishing - which has clouded the market massively.

Now, publishers and agents are even more picky about who they take on.

Writing the book - I reckon - is about 20% of the work with self publishing. You need to spend the rest of that time promoting the book - sometimes fruitlessly. So that's on Twitter, on Facebook or Goodreads etc and in the real world at book festivals - if you can access those...

Building up a readership is really tough, and the self publishing route has introduced a completely different dynamic. You need to be sooooo savvy about how you do it. (For example, Amazon digital marketing only goes out on American Amazon, no one in the UK see's the adverts.)

So, it's not enough to publish lots of books, you need to publish lots of consistently good books. Then you need to build up a base readership - and to do that you need to market effectively... If anyone figures that out, let me know.

Thanks
    Just as an update I'm provisionally using the following

Explorers = Rovers
    Scouts = Ventures
    Cubs = Wolves
    Beavers = Beagles (Thanks to Mrs Cambridgeskip for that one!)
    Troop = unit
    Patrol = chapter

Thanks for all the ideas both on that and getting published.

I sent my first submission to an agent today. All a bit scary!