Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cut resistant gloves for Knife, Axe, Saw

Thanks
    I work for a commercial outdoor organisation. Our policy on this is:

- The hand holding the axe, knife or saw should never be gloved as it reduces sensation and grip
    - Axe - Gloves are not required, although can be useful for splinters. The glove will provide no protection from the axe itself. Suitable footwear (sturdy, closed toes) must be worn. Large two-handed felling/splitting axes require steel toe caps.
    - Saw - Gloves are recommended but optional for the hand holding the wood as will provide some (albeit limited) protection from a slipping blade, and good protection from splinters. We use folding pruning saws rather than bow saws as have found these to be just as effective, and easier to carry in the woods. No gloves on the hand holding the saw. (obviously excludes chainsaws!)
    - Knife - no gloves to be worn. Gloves reduce dexterity and sensation in both the hand holding the knife and the hand holding the workpiece. Correct technique and supervision reduces the risk of blade-finger contact. Using sheath, rather than folding, knives removes the risk of the blade closing on the fingers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    No we don't. I don't anyway. We use real pointy arrows and start by explaining that it could be dangerous so we have to keep to the rules: shooting line, arrows always point downrange, wait for the whistle, don't walk straight towards the target, etc. I have never seen, either in Scouting or in club archery, an injury caused by the point of an arrow. (I have seen injuries caused by the nocks of arrows, walking into them when they are stuck in the ground or in the target - because it is easy to forget that they are sharp too.)

Same with knives, we start by explaining that it could be dangerous so we have to keep to the rules. And they do because it could be. But why bother being careful if you've already removed the danger?
    We use pointy arrows down to about 6 years old - so beaver equivalent. We have used proper arrows with kids down to 4 years old but with 1:1 supervision for "have a go" type sessions. The sucker kits are great for kids who are too small to handle the real bows.

Depending on the age group, adults might collect (mainly because a 6 year old can't normally pull an arrow out of the target).

The only arrow related injury i've experienced was a scratch caused by an adult mishandling arrows when packing away.

Like John, we use proper range commands and rules from the start - even with sucker archery.

What we would do for youn

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

ianw (08-10-2018),johnL (08-10-2018)

Thanks
    Iím not sure where I stand with this, as in with or without PPE.

I watched a Leave No Trace video on using a hand held chopper safely, my overriding recollection is it focussed on eye protection, not on how to use the axe.

I think if you are teaching to use PPE, then it must be used, you shouldnít then teach to do it without the PPE, more important is to use the equipment safely.

The PPE must be stored with the axes, saws and knives so that it is always available. If it is not available you are possibly creating a liability.

However if you use PPE it must fit, gloves that donít properly are dangerous as you wonít get a secure grip, so little Smithy canít do it because the gloves only fit normal size 11 year olds.

If we teach how to use equipment safely, any injury is an accident which somehow we missed happening.

I have a wealth of scars on my right hand from using knives, I can normally tell what a Scout was doing wrong, by where the cut is and show them what it is likely to look like when healed. This bit links to Ewanís thread, as all we can do is teach them to use the kit safely, they have to practice and learn themselves and we arenít always there when they do.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hippysurfer View Post
    I kind of agree - however it does seam a bit cruel to start the training without any consideration of safety.

I personally wear protective gloves when I am using a bow saw (having previously badly cut my own hand) - is it not better to provide sensible protective gloves at the start?

If you apply correct technique, there will never be any risk of cutting yourself. If they aren't applying correct technique, we should be stopping them and making them apply correct technique (no matter how often we get lazy ourselves).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by johnL View Post
    If the young person cannot understand / follow instructions on how to use an axe (knife or saw) safely, seems they are too young to use an axe (knife, or saw) to me. They are useful tools in the right hands, but trying to teach those skills to those not ready for them seems pointless?

Axes and bow saws take a level of both physical strength and coordination that I would think few Cubs have (having watched 11 year old Scouts being barely capable of using them to useful effect when greenfield camping when amounts of wood need to regularly cut up for cooking fires).
    Both can be used perfectly well by Cubs, just using different techniques: I tend to get them using bowsaws in pairs, and axes essentially for battening (get one to hold the axe, the other to wack it with a big stick until the log splits), though my old billhook is even more effective for that (they can hold both ends), and of course there are dedicated tools for the job as well: they all work fine for small stuff.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bluesam3 For This Useful Post:

johnL (14-10-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12