Thread: Camp site idies

Thanks

Camp site idies

We are starting to look at next years camp and need some advice on the best camp sites around the midlands. We are going as a group of around 45 kids so we need somewhere that everyone from beavers to scouts will have an exciting time.

What we need on the site

Kitchen and dinning room ( we do have a mess tent and dinning tent but transporting them is a big job)
    Good toilets and showers.
    Flat area for tents and games.

Activities we would like on or near site.

Water activities
    Climbing
    pioneering
    Bush Craft
    Team Activities

In the past we have been to Fox covert and Beaudesert activity center. We are looking for somewhere new for next year so any advice and experiences of camp sites would be appreciated.

Thanks
    I haven't been there myself but our family camps tend to get held at Blackwell http://www.blackwelladventure.co.uk/

Thanks
    Youlbury is just under an hour away down the M40/A34.

Best site for you is probably the top field (Barts/Chiswell). They've put up a huge teepee as a permanent classroom/mess tent on that field. There's a shower/toilet block off to one side.

Thanks
    Rhydd Covert? right by West Mids safari park. Loads of space and i am guessing it will have buildings as its a pretty busy site.

If Gloucester isn't too far then Cranham might work for you. The building isnt great but there's a marquee with a kitchen tent attached which i'm guessing would fit your needs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    Rhydd Covert? right by West Mids safari park. Loads of space and i am guessing it will have buildings as its a pretty busy site.
    They have an activity centre building but not sure how many it sleeps http://www.rhyddcovert.org.uk/activity-centre/

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    If Gloucester isn't t.oo far then Cranham might work for you. The building isnt great but there's a marquee with a kitchen tent attached which i'm guessing would fit your needs.
    There is new management at Cranham and they have done a lot of work.

Thanks

Thanks
    Willesley Scout Campsite - www.willesley.org.uk - down the road from Fox Coverts but lots to do -

• Walk to Ashby, swim in the open aid lido, fish and chips on the stroll back
    • Hicks Lodge Cycle centre a 10 minute walk away
    • Ashby & Coalville Water Activity Team has a base a few minutes away at Moira Furnace
    • Space Centre in Leicester
    • Conkers theme park - there is a guy on site who will do team activities for as long as you would like at reasonable rates
    • Bosworth Battlefield
    • Ashby Castle
    • Etc
    Jonathan Bloor
    Escouts Team
    Group Scout Leader - 4th Ashby de la Zouch

Thanks
    Willersley is a nice reasonably compact campsite near Ashby de-la-Zouch https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wi...28!4d-1.497059
    Surrounded by a golf course on three sides, and a lake on the other, that sadly is out of bounds as its a private fishing lake ( would have made a fantastic water activities site if they had access to the lake)
    Theres a hall with a kitchen, and bunk rooms at the rear, and another kitchen/smaller area in the remains of Willersley hall gatehouse.

At the other end of the size spectrum in Nottinghamshire, near Ollerton is Walesby, not to be confused with Willersley ( we have had this happen both ways round parents+Scouts/Cubs at one when they should have been at the other)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard T For This Useful Post:

Bloory (10-10-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard T View Post
    Willersley is a nice reasonably compact campsite near Ashby de-la-Zouch https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wi...28!4d-1.497059
    Surrounded by a golf course on three sides, and a lake on the other, that sadly is out of bounds as its a private fishing lake ( would have made a fantastic water activities site if they had access to the lake)
    Theres a hall with a kitchen, and bunk rooms at the rear, and another kitchen/smaller area in the remains of Willersley hall gatehouse.

At the other end of the size spectrum in Nottinghamshire, near Ollerton is Walesby, not to be confused with Willersley ( we have had this happen both ways round parents+Scouts/Cubs at one when they should have been at the other)
    Willesley and Walesby are both first class.
    Jonathan Bloor
    Escouts Team
    Group Scout Leader - 4th Ashby de la Zouch

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloory View Post
    Willesley and Walesby are both first class.
    Both good campistes, but theirs a fair distance between them

Theres a map here https://campsites.scouts.org.uk/sites/Map as well as one in OSM sites vary from full campsites with onsite activities/accommodation toilets/showers etc, to fields with no more than a cold water tap ( if that) and scout HQs with a floor / outside grass area for tents.

Thanks
    Thank you all for your suggestions. You have given us a lot to look at.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bloory View Post
    Willesley Scout Campsite - www.willesley.org.uk - down the road from Fox Coverts but lots to do -

• Walk to Ashby, swim in the open aid lido, fish and chips on the stroll back
    • Hicks Lodge Cycle centre a 10 minute walk away
    • Ashby & Coalville Water Activity Team has a base a few minutes away at Moira Furnace
    • Space Centre in Leicester
    • Conkers theme park - there is a guy on site who will do team activities for as long as you would like at reasonable rates
    • Bosworth Battlefield
    • Ashby Castle
    • Etc
    I Helped out at a County cub camp there last year. I found that getting on and off site was very difficult with it only having the 1 road. Is Moira Furnace the small bit of Ashby canal that has been renovated?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_o View Post
    Thank you all for your suggestions. You have given us a lot to look at.

- - - Updated - - -

I Helped out at a County cub camp there last year. I found that getting on and off site was very difficult with it only having the 1 road. Is Moira Furnace the small bit of Ashby canal that has been renovated?
    Yes, also near to Willersley ( within walking distance ) is Hicks Lodge with various trails/activities and bike hire https://www.forestryengland.uk/hicks-lodge