Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Things Aint What They Used To Be

Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Or so it says...

Edit** There was a raft of HSE rules around agriculture and beating etc with regard to carting folk about in trailers... Presumably that would be off the road and possibly more suited to campsites. Those with campsites could Google it for reference.

Edit #2. Just read that again, its to do with trailers carrying broken down vehicles... I suppose you could put the kids in the vehi- No, forget that...

Edit #3 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...lation/90/made I think it is apposite after all... The pasted text lost something in the formatting.

The regulations quoted are specific and COULD suggest that you can carry passengers in a trailer ( not for hire or reward) but it is clear that you cannot carry a passenger in a caravan - I have spoken with testers who have ridden in a caravan for test purposes and they all say that it is a very scary experience...

I suspect that the detail on carrying in a trailer not towed by an agricultural vehicle, will be wrapped up in construction and use regulations around seating and safety belts... On balance, it might be a grey area, but I wouldn't wish to test the law.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    The Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 section 100 (sub sections 1-3) covers unsecured people in trailers (and in the rear of vans/trucks). And too many people in a car

Maintenance and use of vehicle so as not to be a danger, etc
    100.—(1) A motor vehicle, every trailer drawn thereby and all parts and accessories of such vehicle and trailer shall at all times be in such condition, and the number of passengers carried by such vehicle or trailer, the manner in which any passengers are carried in or on such vehicle or trailer, and the weight, distribution, packing and adjustment of the load of such vehicle or trailer shall at all times be such, that no danger is caused or is likely to be caused to any person in or on the vehicle or trailer or on a road.

Provided that the provisions of this regulation with regard to the number of passengers carried shall not apply to a vehicle to which the Public Service Vehicles (Carrying Capacity) Regulations 1984 apply.

(2) The load carried by a motor vehicle or trailer shall at all times be so secured, if necessary by physical restraint other than its own weight, and be in such a position, that neither danger nor nuisance is likely to be caused to any person or property by reason of the load or any part thereof falling or being blown from the vehicle or by reason of any other movement of the load or any part thereof in relation to the vehicle.

(3) No motor vehicle or trailer shall be used for any purpose for which it is so unsuitable as to cause or be likely to cause danger or nuisance to any person in or on the vehicle or trailer or on a road.

In broad terms the driver could be prosecuted for unsafe load
    Last edited by bigcheese; 09-10-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Thanks
    So we could carry Scouts in a trailer, so long as we secured them?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    It's generally down to service buses travelling at very low speed. They also have an absolutely excellent safety record, so there is no sense in increasing inconvenience by banning standing which would cause more people to travel to far less safe modes of transport like car, bicycle or foot.
    You obviously have not been on the service bus from Glasgow Airport to the center - kamikaze or what!
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wealdbrook For This Useful Post:

johnL (10-10-2018)

Thanks

Yes -lying down in long thin single occupancy boxes - oh no that would be a coffin; doh time for a rethink
    A week of camp life is worth six months of theoretical teaching in the meeting room. Baden-Powell

Thanks
    It says he's not comfortable with it. Given the risks, if he wanted to continue, I wouldn't have disallowed it.

He's much younger and a different person entirely.

- - - Updated - - -

Or so it says...

Edit** There was a raft of HSE rules around agriculture and beating etc with regard to carting folk about in trailers... Presumably that would be off the road and possibly more suited to campsites. Those with campsites could Google it for reference.

Edit #2. Just read that again, its to do with trailers carrying broken down vehicles... I suppose you could put the kids in the vehi- No, forget that...

Edit #3 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...lation/90/made I think it is apposite after all... The pasted text lost something in the formatting.
    The latter part of that is really aimed at caravans (using words like living, not two wheeled or 4 close coupled). so a caravan with 4 wheels that are well spaced - near front and rear would be Ok reading this. it would be a pain to control though.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess it would be like those road trains you see at the seaside. Have a chain across the doorway so they don't jump out whilst on the motorway :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb123 View Post
    The latter part of that is really aimed at caravans (using words like living, not two wheeled or 4 close coupled). so a caravan with 4 wheels that are well spaced - near front and rear would be Ok reading this. it would be a pain to control though.

I suspect that the law is trying to allow for locomotive drawn trailers - ie, traction engine drawn caravan trailers, which are a whole different ball game and have an articulated axle, which, if I recall correctly, for non ag work requires a specific licence.

All a bit of a moot point as I doubt that many of us would use a trailer to transport people.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb123 View Post
    I took that to mean, trailers with a double wheel base such as the one we use for jumble collection - they're far more common on the roads than trailers with wheels front and back. Coming with the double wheelbase or close-coupled wheels (on the same axle or in-line on two axles), that means weight capacity and stability is a lot better - ergo - safer.

I suspect it's in there to account for agricultural and countryside concerns, (taking into consideration how much more vocal/represented landowners are in parliament, compared to people running jumble sales...)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,985 Times in 1,150 Posts
    As a possibly interesting aside, they had one of them Bedford (probably not Bedford anymore, but you know what I mean when I say it) green army lorries at Gilwell24 this year, a static display. Living near Aldershot and Bordon we used to see a lot of these with the back canvas rolled up and four rows of squaddies sat on sideways bench seats in the back. Probably had a whole squad if not a troop in them. They seem to have got a bit more advanced, this one at G24 still had sideways seats in it, but they were plastic moulded jobs with at least a seatbelt, if not a whole harness, and it went right up and round the side of the head, bit like a racing seat but build for cheap strength not speed. They only had two rows, back to back in the middle, which meant it could only sit about 14 people. Might as well take the minibus. Though, to be fair I suppose, those lorries do have a lot more off road capability than your average LWB transit minibus. Nice bit of kit, bit out of the Explorer's budget mind you.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2017 - May 2018
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    So we could carry Scouts in a trailer, so long as we secured them)
    It's a bit like section [Catch] 22!

You could bolt seats into the trailer with seatbelts, tie Scouts down with bungee cord, wedge them in a corner with tentage etc to comply with one bit (subsection 2), but, depending on the circumstances, you'd be had under subsections 1 and/or 3

The line of most interest is ‘danger is…..likely to be caused to any person’ etc. So no actual danger needed, just the officer’s opinion ‘that in the event of an accident/incident those in the trailer would suffer injury because.....................(add your own description of the imagined scene of destruction)
    Last edited by bigcheese; 10-10-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123