Thread: Minibus Navigation

Thanks

Minibus Navigation

Hi All,

Having just picked up the minibus for this weekend Scout Camp from an area I had never been to I have spent nearly an hour doing a 15 minute journey because Apple Maps kept trying to direct me through different bits of an area of strict width restrictions. Not knowing the area I just kept following blindly each time hoping to get a to a better route- which I eventually did!

Understandably the software is made for average vehicles (cars) and has no idea I am 7 odd meters long and 2.2m wide with roof rack.

Is there any app anyone can recommend that would be better to use a "Sat Nav" when driving minibuses (or vans or other larger vehicles to really).

Equally if there is something designed specifically for larger vehicles that would be really useful for ETA's for return and communication with convoying vehicles as obviously predictions on a bog standard sat nav are based on national speed limit not a restricted minibus.

Thanks,

Dan
    --
    Daniel Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group
    North London District Scouts

NRSA Rifle Instructor
    Archery GB Instructor/ Permit Holder
    NA Permit Holder
    Radio Amateur (M6DSH)

web: www.9thmuswellhill.co.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill

Follow our Facebook Page

www.facebook.com/9thmuswellhill

Thanks
    Thanked 3,137 Times in 1,330 Posts
    I always use waze and share the journey back to parents. They track us. Then they are there when we get back.

But I've not driven a minobus wider than 2m. That's v wide.

I've always made it through every width restriction

Also, the speed difference makes little difference when parents can see your location on a map.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by big chris; 11-10-2018 at 02:29 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (11-10-2018)

Thanks
    I've read of some sat nave having a caravan or motorhome setting so avoids narrow roads and other potential problem places. not having either a caravan nor a motorhome not sure of specificd but it came across as only on some newer services. don't know if the caravan club website would have more details?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    In my experience most transit sized vans and minibusses based on them can make it through the "6foot6" width restrictions, which are usually at least 7 foot wide. They do vary, some involve folding the mirrors in!

Thanks
    The tomtom professional range does this. I don't know if it's available as an app.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,097 Times in 723 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    I always use waze and share the journey back to parents. They track us. Then they are there when we get back.
    Thanks for that, that sounds like a really useful feature

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    CoPilot Caravan Navigation

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dsheehan View Post
    Hi All,

Having just picked up the minibus for this weekend Scout Camp from an area I had never been to I have spent nearly an hour doing a 15 minute journey because Apple Maps kept trying to direct me through different bits of an area of strict width restrictions. Not knowing the area I just kept following blindly each time hoping to get a to a better route- which I eventually did!

Understandably the software is made for average vehicles (cars) and has no idea I am 7 odd meters long and 2.2m wide with roof rack.

Is there any app anyone can recommend that would be better to use a "Sat Nav" when driving minibuses (or vans or other larger vehicles to really).

Equally if there is something designed specifically for larger vehicles that would be really useful for ETA's for return and communication with convoying vehicles as obviously predictions on a bog standard sat nav are based on national speed limit not a restricted minibus.

Thanks,

Dan
    It is worth remembering that the width limit does not include wing mirrors

Reg 3 Con and use Regs 1986:

overall width

the distance between longitudinal planes passing through the extreme lateral projecting points of the vehicle inclusive of all parts of the vehicle, of any receptacle which is of permanent character and accordingly strong enough for repeated use, and any fitting on, or attached to, the vehicle except—

(a)any driving mirror;
    Im assuming as you're factoring in length and a roof rack that the area, as well as having narrow roads, also has some tight bends and low bridges?

When we did summer camps etc we always did a site visit. One of the things I was looking for on approach to the site for the visit was minibus accessibility. For example, one site we used had a very low bridge on the approach that we took by car, so on the way out we found a different route that we would be able to use on camp with the minibuses. That said, youd be amazed at the gaps you can squeeze a minibus through - just watch your local DPD driver with an XLWB sprinter and you'll see how its done

10. The Following User Says Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

Dr_Pepper (12-10-2018)