Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Streamlining scouting

Thanks
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    3. How charities become excepted

Before 2009, Parliament or the commission could make regulations to ‘except’ charities. No new exceptions can now be made, apart from for charities that cease to be exempt charities. - https://www.gov.uk/government/public...d-charities--2

So, if they are still being created as "excepted", TSA and Girlguiding must have found a loophole. I suspect they are more likely exempt, due to low income.

To be fair, there is a lot of contradictory guidance available, but since this is the CC statement, one presumes it to be correct.
    I think that is sligtly misworded, it means no new "categories" of excepted charities can be created it doesn't mean that new Scout or Guide groups are not automatically excepted charities given that further down on that same page it says
    10. Scout and Guide groups
    Scout and Guide groups are excepted unless:

their income is more than £100,000, or
    they have permanent endowment, or
    they own land or buildings
    A Scout or Guide charity that has permanent endowment or owns a building must register if its income is more than £5,000.
    Note it doesn't say formed after 2009 under the reasons they are not excepted charities.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

2. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

PaulArthurs (26-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    The previous system required about 10 days of training - mostly at weekends. There was no allowance for what people already knew. I would say that the modular system is much more streamlined. I don't think there is a hard way or an easy way to validate - unless the TA is making it too easy or too hard. I am not a great fan of workbooks but some people like them - so we can have flexible learning.
    The training I did was one afternoon and two weekends - and that was it done. The weekends started at 7:30 on a Friday night and finished on a Sunday morning. Even if you add in first response, it's still not ten days.

You are right though, coming as I did straight from being a VS, I knew all the scouty stuff, and even then, the rest of it didn't seem useful at the time.

I think, on balance, what you lose from having people all in one place doing the training (assuming we get the training right), is actually more useful from a social and face-to-face point of view, compared to someone sitting doing modules in front of a computer. Also, modules and training plans smack of work, and Scouts is not work - it's a hobby.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

Dr_Pepper (26-10-2018),Kastor (26-10-2018),Neil Williams (26-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,722 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    I think that is sligtly misworded, it means no new "categories" of excepted charities can be created it doesn't mean that new Scout or Guide groups are not automatically excepted charities given that further down on that same page it says

Note it doesn't say formed after 2009 under the reasons they are not excepted charities.

Thank you. I have learned something I hadn't picked up previously..
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    I did my Wood Badge training in the early to mid 80s. Two weekends for basic and three more for advanced. I have to say that it was excellent, and I spent years afterwards in work courses thinking, "I learnt that for my Wood Badge". But the best bit was probably the chance to swap experience with other leaders from across the County. And yes, we were pretty-much all former Scouts and knew the basics.

But I have to say that I have had quite a number of ASLs who never completed training before they moved on, and yet were excellent. I don't think the change to force all leaders to do Wood Badge helped at all, even though I chose to do mine as soon as possible, and while still an ASL myself.
    SL, 11th Hitchin

Thanks
    Turns out our district has been telling new leaders they need to attend an afternoon course or courses for modules 1, 2 and 3.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Turns out our district has been telling new leaders they need to attend an afternoon course or courses for modules 1, 2 and 3.
    Grrr

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks

Angry

Typical Headquarters come up with flexible ways of ensuring that adults receive appropriate training. But, then someone from District and presumably county (as adult training is a county responsibility) comes along with their own 'local rules' which contradict with national policy.

Paul

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulArthurs For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (31-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,904 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Oh look, local rules

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    Oh look, local rules
    I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't just gentle ignorance.

I can't believe (mostly because I read stuff here), it's me having to tell them how things should work re. POR.

I used to be the rebel...

Thanks
    I must admit that I try to encourage new Leaders to do a two hour evening session with me for module one.

Our County is developing a session to cover modules one and three on a Saturday or Sunday.

We are not trying to make either of these compulsory however.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    I must admit that I try to encourage new Leaders to do a two hour evening session with me for module one.

Our County is developing a session to cover modules one and three on a Saturday or Sunday.

We are not trying to make either of these compulsory however.
    Mmm...

It seems like a bit of a mis-direction of effort to me. Where time and volunteer enthusiasm is already finite, (not to mention the challenges in just getting folk in the door.) There are other things I can think of to concentrate on.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

PaulArthurs (01-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,722 Times in 1,473 Posts
    We used to do 1/2/3 in house. But if we covered all the bases it took a fair bit of time. Never met any Leaders who actually bothered to do it at home.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Mmm...

It seems like a bit of a mis-direction of effort to me. Where time and volunteer enthusiasm is already finite, (not to mention the challenges in just getting folk in the door.) There are other things I can think of to concentrate on.
    I think that it's quite a good use of my time and the time of Leaders who attend. I am aware of several problems that have arisen because Leaders avoided module one and therefore did not know things that they should have done.

I don't feel that the on line version covers things that well and I am able to add bits that have recently come in and provide information about local organisation.

It also has the advantage that I can validate Sectional Assistants as they have had the discussion of policies etc. that is required.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567