Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Knowing the cub leader

Thanks

A month later.

Thanks for all the comments/input. I think there is a modicum of overthinking the situation we had though. The same parents and the same youngsters still attend. The meetings still run as before with the occasional short overrun. It was instructive to note that a fairly vocal parent has, over the ensuing weeks, slowly made his way into the meeting room rather than standing in the kitchen. I tried to engage him in some conversation but it was almost like talking to a naughty student - he was quite bashful and oddly respectful. We have needed parental support at a couple of meetings with very short notice when the leaders were either working away or ill. A quick message on Facebook produced a couple of parents who were very quickly heavily involved with the activities of the meeting and were quite effusive about the how they enjoyed being there. I would like to think that we have seen off the situation which caused my original post but ....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boballan View Post
    I tried to engage him in some conversation but it was almost like talking to a naughty student - he was quite bashful and oddly respectful.
    We are but gods to some.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

boballan (03-12-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boballan View Post
    Thanks for all the comments/input. I think there is a modicum of overthinking the situation we had though. The same parents and the same youngsters still attend. The meetings still run as before with the occasional short overrun. It was instructive to note that a fairly vocal parent has, over the ensuing weeks, slowly made his way into the meeting room rather than standing in the kitchen. I tried to engage him in some conversation but it was almost like talking to a naughty student - he was quite bashful and oddly respectful. We have needed parental support at a couple of meetings with very short notice when the leaders were either working away or ill. A quick message on Facebook produced a couple of parents who were very quickly heavily involved with the activities of the meeting and were quite effusive about the how they enjoyed being there. I would like to think that we have seen off the situation which caused my original post but ....
    It sounds like you are making some real progress.

Best of luck.

Thanks
    The parents of all my Cubs know who I am and who my Mum is. They are all fairly good with George who is one of my Assistant leaders. Moving beyond that to leaders who have to be more flexible with their volunteering and I suspect that not all the parents would be able to name my whole team. I've even known some of the Cubs ask me who certain leaders are... We're a large group and have 3 Cub Packs. This does mean that I do end up taking children away at times - or on events - who I don't know and whose parents wouldn't really know me that well. The best example of this is we headed down from Durham to Gilwell for JOTA-JOTI this year. One of the children we took was from our Tuesday pack and had never met me, my other two leaders or any of the other 3 children attending. He got on really well with us all though and his parents were just pleased that we were happy to extend the opportunity to the other pack as well. I've know it also be the case that children have been pulled out of activities when parents have suddenly realised that it isn't their usual leadership team or not sign up for them in the first place. (We are careful to let people know which adults are attending different events though.)
    Group: 1st Framwellgate Moor Scout Group - Durham City and District - Durham Scout County.
    www.facebook.com/framscouts

Roles: Cub Scout Leader (Wednesday); Training Advisor - formerly Assistant Scout Leader.

IST member: 2010 World Scout Moot Kenya; 2017 World Scout Moot Iceland.