Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry versions of drinking games...is that ok?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,168 Posts

Dry versions of drinking games...is that ok?

The Explorers played "Fear Pong" at their Halloween party last night, that's beer pong but with forfeits and sweets instead of beer*. They seemed to enjoy it, well, maybe except for the one that had to get slapped with a fish, luckily a leader's kid. And we had to PG a few of the forfeits, but apart from that, it was entertaining. What is the view of the panel?

You can see a short video on that instagram "farnhamexplorerscouts" should you wish to see what I mean.

* as it turns out, with a bit of research post evening, Fear Pong is an actual purchasable beer drinking game, see YouTube, or maybe don't, so what we really did was take the beer out of Fear Pong, and tone down the forfeits.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    When I was CSL we used to play a dry version of 21s, again involving silly forfeits instead of drinking. Was never a problem! Go for it!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    The Explorers played "Fear Pong" at their Halloween party last night, that's beer pong but with forfeits and sweets instead of beer*. They seemed to enjoy it, well, maybe except for the one that had to get slapped with a fish, luckily a leader's kid. And we had to PG a few of the forfeits, but apart from that, it was entertaining. What is the view of the panel?

You can see a short video on that instagram "farnhamexplorerscouts" should you wish to see what I mean.

* as it turns out, with a bit of research post evening, Fear Pong is an actual purchasable beer drinking game, see YouTube, or maybe don't, so what we really did was take the beer out of Fear Pong, and tone down the forfeits.
    Skills for life isn’t just about communication and throwing axes....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardnhunt For This Useful Post:

big chris (01-11-2018),ianw (01-11-2018)

Thanks
    We have played so that beer pong plenty of times. It involves buckets of water placed on benches and tennis balls. The forfeit is the bucket of water being thrown over the losing person or team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,737 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Yup, no problem with Pong, spent a whole evening playng daft games.

BUT... Playing ibble dibble with scouts/ navs never seems to work - but a room full of half cut adults and it is a real laugh.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 735 Posts
    We have played tamed down none drinking versions of drinking games with our Explorers a few times, sometimes we do this on camp after we have sent the Scouts to bed.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    We play Master, Mathew, Luke and John, with just a Change of seat and drink forfeit.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    Thanked 1,908 Times in 1,206 Posts
    If you want to get your Explorers playing a rough drinking-style (card) game (though I've never played it as an actual drinking game)...try Spoons.

When played in a group of adults I have seen people dragged around the room by the spoon in their hands that they won't let go of. I bet Explorers can put up just as much of a fight!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoons

Thanks
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 735 Posts
    Yeah spoons is quite popular with our Scouts & Explorers

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (01-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 748 Posts
    Ours enjoyed Have You Ever, also known as Never Have I Ever...Someone asks, never have I ever [insert witty/embarrassing activity here]. If anyone has, they take a drink.

The other good one isn't a drinking game, but is still good fun... Not sure what we called it... But going round the group in turn, each person gets a turn at saying 'person most likely to [insert life goal/failure/embarrassing thing here], and everyone points at the person they think most likely to end up in jail, make a million, catch an STI or father children first.

That last game is good, because it works both ways. It's funny because it show up perceptions in the group. It's not just about making someone look daft, it's also about how people feel about each other. Our crowd were getting some surprising and welcome compliments from each other.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,908 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Wow, doubt I would even consider either of those with YP, the chance of it leading to bullying or even Safeguarding issues is massive.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    We play Master, Mathew, Luke and John, with just a Change of seat and drink forfeit.
    We play that with the Scouts. I had no idea it was a drinking game, and I have no idea how to introduce drink into it. We use it as a sort of mental alertness thing. Scouts just move to the bottom/end if they make a mistake. OK, maybe I can work out how to introduce drink into it, but that just sounds like the first mistake means you're going to be in no position to avoid the next one...

PS, what happened to Mark? Or was that the drink too

Serious answer: personally, I wouldn't play anything that the Scouts (or Explorers, to whom this should be more relevant) knew was a drinking game, unless to show that you can still have fun without the drink. If they saw it as the poor man's version of the real thing, on the other hand, that wouldn't be a message that I wanted to give.
    Last edited by DKRSL; 04-11-2018 at 05:40 PM.
    SL, 11th Hitchin

Thanks
    I think with Scouts they wouldn’t know it as a drinking game.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DKRSL View Post
    Snip
    PS, what happened to Mark? Or was that the drink too

Serious answer: personally, I wouldn't play anything that the Scouts (or Explorers, to whom this should be more relevant) knew was a drinking game, unless to show that you can still have fun without the drink. If they saw it as the poor man's version of the real thing, on the other hand, that wouldn't be a message that I wanted to give.
    We play it with Master, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, oh and "Doris" - the one at the end when you get it wrong becomes "Doris", I don't know why; blame the Scouts.
    Mark
    You can contact Mark via www.4theastcotescouts.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I think with Scouts they wouldn’t know it as a drinking game.
    As I said, neither did their leader
    SL, 11th Hitchin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast