Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fndraising for Mini Bus

Thanks
    1. How much do you want to raise?

Now, consider the costs/benefits.

In the past two years, how many events have you run that have required a minibus?

Now imagine that lets say for simplicity purposes, you have run 20 events. A minibus costs lets say 10,000 to buy and lets say 1000 a year to run, so that's 12k

Now, how much would it have cost you to hire a bus for those trips - given that there are lots of 'community' buses available that will be cheaper than a commercial hirer. How does the cost of hiring compared to buying?

Can you make money from hiring the purchased bus out?

2. Now work out how much you can raise a year.

And so and so forth.

Thanks
    Agree with above we looked into minibusses and decided against, they are incredibly expensive and within 10 years will be totally valueless as well as needing attention and possibly repairs. We are lucky enough to often be able to borrow a bus for free from a leaders employer, but even if we paid for every time we wanted a bus we'd still be quids in I think.

Having said that, if we did have our own bus we'd probably find a lot more uses for one than we do now, and it spend less on my personal petrol outgoings! Plus run into less problems with underage (sans D1) leaders.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pepper View Post
    Agree with above we looked into minibusses and decided against, they are incredibly expensive and within 10 years will be totally valueless as well as needing attention and possibly repairs. We are lucky enough to often be able to borrow a bus for free from a leaders employer, but even if we paid for every time we wanted a bus we'd still be quids in I think.

Having said that, if we did have our own bus we'd probably find a lot more uses for one than we do now, and it spend less on my personal petrol outgoings! Plus run into less problems with underage (sans D1) leaders.
    It's possible to be totally cost neutral with a minibus. The problem is, it's a lot of work.

If you make your bus available for hire (and you're in an area where community provision is scarce), you can factor all costs (including replacement and depreciation) into your model - add in applications for grant money... You just really need to be into your fund raising...

The big thing for us about having our own bus is, leaders don't have to take days off work to go and pick community busses up. If you have a weekend camp (say), you're looking at a half day either side of it to get the bus picked up and taken back (or dropped off and picked up...) It also means, if on a meeting night you decide to go out, you can. (Putting rules about informing the DC - if you have one - completely to one side, as in totally ignored because it's daft...)

The D1 thing is a developing issue, we're also running out of people with it on their licences. If we had plenty of cash (or plenty time to raise it), we'd run two crew cab nine seaters... Probably...

Thanks
    Depends on the size of your group wether a mini bus is viable. we had 88 cubs in our group and took them on three day trips a year, booking two coaches for 710 a go, so just over 2k a year, no cost to the group as it was factored into the cost of the trip - a minibus would have been useless for us.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bernwood View Post
    Depends on the size of your group wether a mini bus is viable. we had 88 cubs in our group and took them on three day trips a year, booking two coaches for 710 a go, so just over 2k a year, no cost to the group as it was factored into the cost of the trip - a minibus would have been useless for us.
    This is also true.

We can shift our entire troop including leaders and YL's (for example) with the bus and two cars. Conversely, way back when, we sold our minibus because we only had nine scouts and three leaders who all drove.

The most surprising thing about running a bus (I found anyway) is, that it costs the same (in terms of insurance) to run it only for the group, as it does to run it for hiring out as well. (Although, hiring it out does put it at higher risk of mechanical failure. Not everyone is mechanically sensitive... If I can put it like that...)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bernwood View Post
    Depends on the size of your group wether a mini bus is viable........................
    Indeed. When I was CSL (in a group with 4 Colonies, 3 Packs and 2 Troops) our minibus was next to useless fro anything other than "shuttle-runs". When I left there was an ongoing discussion amongst the leadership team about getting rid of the bus, and getting a van, as it was the general feeling that a van would be of much mere practical use. I don't think anything came of that idea though as I still the bus out and about from time to time.
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,992 Times in 1,156 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    Indeed. When I was CSL (in a group with 4 Colonies, 3 Packs and 2 Troops) our minibus was next to useless fro anything other than "shuttle-runs". When I left there was an ongoing discussion amongst the leadership team about getting rid of the bus, and getting a van, as it was the general feeling that a van would be of much mere practical use. I don't think anything came of that idea though as I still the bus out and about from time to time.
    As an aside, we've borrowed a "special bus" before now, one with a ramp at the back and all the seats on rails, and had to move all the gear for a big unit that turned up at Theme Park Camp in a 53 seater coach that couldn't get up the drive and up the hill to the campsite. Cue us sending the van down there, and taking all the seats out the bus, and using that as a van too. Of course, not ideal for general use, I'd imagine at some stage someone would take a window out with a tent pole or something, but it was pretty handy then.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2017 - May 2018
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12