Thread: Parliament Week

Thanks

Parliament Week

Is anyone else doing a Parliament week activity with their Scouts?

What we were supposed to be doing has fallen through, so I thought this could be a good alternative (I'm already doing it with my Brownies!)

I have looked through the packs provided by different regions etc, but really lacking inspiration for the age group. I'd like to do a vote on 'something', but not sure what! (If all else fails, it's an overview of Parliament activity, building Big Ben from biscuits and then voting on the best!)
    I bat for both teams...
    Yes, i'm bi... organisational!

Thanks
    My Scout group is doing it. We are having our patrols make a list of what they would do different to make scouting more fun and then having them discuss it again each other, voting on it, and getting them to plan it out (All with context to Westminster). We'll keep it light and breezy. We are going to have some costumes for it as well for certain roles (Speaker of House, Party leader etc).

I think for your age group your ideas sound good to keep there attention while still being on topic

Thanks
    I hadn't heard of it. Just having a quick look there is a resource pack for scouts which looks ok https://www.ukparliamentweek.org/resources/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I hadn't heard of it. Just having a quick look there is a resource pack for scouts which looks ok https://www.ukparliamentweek.org/resources/
    I found it lacking in any real ideas as most of it is just 'Here, do this activity from a Million Hands'
    I bat for both teams...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ker-stee View Post
    I found it lacking in any real ideas as most of it is just 'Here, do this activity from a Million Hands'
    Does it have all the stuff about setting up the room like parliament, appointing a speaker, cabinet and shadow cabinet and the activity cards in million hands?

I'm looking at this https://www.ukparliamentweek.org/wp-...ce-Booklet.pdf

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Does it have all the stuff about setting up the room like parliament, appointing a speaker, cabinet and shadow cabinet and the activity cards in million hands?

I'm looking at this https://www.ukparliamentweek.org/wp-...ce-Booklet.pdf
    Yeah, that's the one... I just found it less than inspiring really (And yes, I am complaining about a free resource!)
    I bat for both teams...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ker-stee View Post
    Yeah, that's the one... I just found it less than inspiring really (And yes, I am complaining about a free resource!)
    Fair enough!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 747 Posts
    We've had organised debates in the past, but this (for leaders) would be difficult to do without exploding in a fountain of cynicism.

Thanks
    With the Cubs we're having a quick quiz around "what is" Parliament (still working on this!). Then each Cub (hopefully) will "pitch" a charity, large or small but ideally one that has helped them or someone they know, to the rest of their Six. Each Six will then chose one to go forward for the whole Pack to vote on using the ballot box from the Parliament Week kit. The following week we will present "Weald Brook's Got Talent" to friends & family, inviting donations for the chosen charity. The idea being the better the Cubs perform, the more money they will raise!
    Kate, CSL (and GDB(S))
    1st Weald Brook Scout Group
    Brentwood, Essex
    www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

Thanks
    Been doing Parliament week for a couple of years with some good and some bad experiences. It worked well with explorers and scouts but gave up even attempting to use this year's resource with cubs. The booklet seems to be a virtual reprint of Millionhands documentation - not quite sure how this ties up with Parliament week really. Other areas of the booklet seem to be incomplete - the "suitable for" box is empty. Either the producer of these sheets had no idea who it was suitable for or they simply forgot to complete it. Couldn't find anything which was relevant for an 8 yr old - particularly one who has just left Beavers. Thus we have not taken part. Sadly, our local MP contacted me to help support the week but was not available until later in the year. Our MP seems to be the opposite of what MPs appear to be. We have had her at Explorer meetings several times and she has been completely apolitical, very open and engaged well with the unit. This was all without the Parliament Week resource though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to boballan For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (26-11-2018)

Thanks
    We had our local MP to speak first to the Cubs and then afterwards to the Scouts. He was brilliant - and apolitical, as you say; the conversation was about being an MP, renovation of the Palace of Westminster, a discussion of what issues were important in our local constituency, and so on. We went on for significantly longer than planned. Quite unprompted, he told the Scouts how much they benefitted from confidence-building and leadership opportunities that they get in Scouting, and other young people may not.
    SL, 11th Hitchin

Thanks
    It's free badges for filling out a survey afterwards, what's not to like?!
    Celebrate the 17th Holborn's 60th birthday - www.gbby.org.uk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Rush For This Useful Post:

Jack.Denvir (26-11-2018)