Thread: Contemplations of the Camp Blanket

Thanks

Contemplations of the Camp Blanket

Howdy!

Registered as I have some ponderings about my camp blanket(s) that I thought I would ask like minded folk about (the wife has no interest at all! )

So, my camp blanket is a scratchy wool job, started as a youth with my history of scouting as a kid, plus places visited, sports achievements (very proud of the savlon water baby badge!!). I was a beaver through to venture and it has badges on the front, neckers on the back.

I've been to a jamboree and have a good amount of neckers and badges from that, but never thought it would incorporate in to the current blanket and it should be it's own.

Now as a leader after quite a few years out of the movement, I'm undecided as to what route to now take.

Would you restart the blanket again, telling a new story using the old badges with new?
    Would you add to what's their as a youth, despite it being centered around a very different group (and area)?
    Would you have a new blanket altogether?

I'm curious how others feel about it.

I also have a thought that I could have the Jamboree blanket as an inner lining to the main blanket so it could be flipped inside out, keeping it all together in use at once and the added bonus of increasing the warmth!

Thanks
    Nail, welcome to escouts! I only wish I could find the time to worry about a camp blanket!

Thanks
    Personally, I'd start a new blanket as a record of a new chapter, but it depends how full the old blanket is. If you have lots of space there's no reason why it couldn't incorporate both. If it's almost full then add a few more souvenirs from old events and start afresh.

Either way I'd add a modern fleece lining to any wool blanket.

P.S. Welcome in.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,168 Posts
    At least the scratchy wool job will be somewhat fire retardant, unlike modern plastic fleece.

I guess it depends on you, how full your blanket is, and how you feel about it. I mean, the original blanket is a relic, a reminder, a history, a story, your story. You coming back to scouts is part of that story.

If you start a new blanket for your new group, it'll only have a few badges on, and the young people you sit round the fire with will know what they are, it'll have no mystery, not much of interest, though it might over time, and if you're sticking occasional badges and campsite badges on there, then if they see one they have too, that could spark up a conversation, a chance for them to "reminisce".

If you can add to your old blanket, and weave your new story into it, then maybe the new story gets lost in the mass of badges, but maybe those old badges will spark other conversations. The jamboree stuff will open up chat about international scouting.

Then again, maybe your old blanket you feel is a static chapter, and adding to it would confuse and not keep it "pure".

Also...two blankets, that means picking one to take with you every time.

Tricky! Not really a right or wrong answer, well, you probably know what will make you happier, what's most right for you...do that.

(welcome to escouts by the way)
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (08-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanks for te welcome everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Tricky! Not really a right or wrong answer, well, you probably know what will make you happier, what's most right for you...do that.
    Indeed! I was more curious how other people's minds thought of it as I freely admit that I would quite hapily ignore all opinions and go the way I want to. Just thought it was quit an interesting question (to me)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 735 Posts
    I dont have a camp blanket, I do have a large pile of badges which one day I would like to sew on a camp blanket but I suspect that ill have to wait until I retire (and I am only 36 lol). However in my head my camp blanket would be a poncho style one with all the badges I earned as a youth member on one side and badges from campsites I have stayed at on the other side with my necker sewn around the neck hole in the "poncho".
    Last edited by shiftypete; 09-11-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks

Contemplations of the Camp Blanket

Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    I dont have a camp blanket, I do have a large pile of badges which one day I would like to sew on a camp blanket but I suspect that ill have to wait until i etire (and I am only 36 lol). However in my head my camp blanket would be a poncho style one with all the badges I earned as a youth member on one side and badges from campsites I have stayed at on the other side with my necker sewn around the neck hole in the "poncho".
    Mine is similar.

The front on the left, badges that I earned as a Cub and Scout and a few historic badges, in the middle some badges to reflect my time as a leader on the right scout badges that mean something to me, and 3 military badges for units I served with.

The back is for badges, pendants I collected and a wolfs head that my mum embroidered, that was my Dads.

Around the neck hole, I have the Centenary knecker and two Union flags as collar points

Sent using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Shaun; 09-11-2018 at 01:33 PM.
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks

I must get round to sewing the rest of my badges on.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    That's great Shaun!

I love seeing different styles - mine is totally different to that in layout.

Thanks
    I found my blanket recently (stashed in a very safe space in the shed) after not seeing it for about 15 years! Have a good pile of badges/neckers to attach so will just keep it going. Now to try and ask one of my scouts parents very nicely to start sewing. I do like the idea of attaching a fleece lining to it as well.