Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cenotaph television

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,620 Posts
    I'll never forget the words of one Scout as he rounded the memorial wall at Tyn Cot and the graves came into sight. "******* ****!"

He had been taught about it at school, they had seen pictures of soldiers marching off to war, muddy battlefields and the gravestones, but seeing it himself for the first time brought it home. I've seen similar reactions. I've seen kids fighting back the tears. I have one tell me "I don't like it here, I want to leave." I responded, well, you are lucky, you will be eaving, the thousands lying here never had that chance..

I refuse to apologise for upsetting kids when we go to the cemeteries of the Menin Gate, or a concentration camp. They need to know. They need to understand.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    This year's efforts have improved the shade of red and changed the woggle to leather. They've also added more items: https://shop.scouts.org.uk/collectio...BERIBM,PJPGB,1

Nine quid for a scarf?!

I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with Scouting selling a "Fleur de Lis Crystal Glass Tumbler Set" and "Fleur de Lis Cotton Drawcord Bag" for Remembrance purposes, especially when they keep 50% of the profits. The rest goes to the Legion, but I think that if we're going to do this, we should give them 100%.

Not that they tell us what the profit margins on these items are, so we've no idea how much is involved.

Some of the items have also got the year on them - they're clearly hoping that people (some would call them mugs, but I would never do that) will buy them year after year and probably only wear each of them once...

Update: Scout Shops won't tell me the amount of profit that they make because "We are just not allowed to divulge this information due to company policy". I've asked them to consider rethinking this policy.
    Last edited by Andrew Rush; 23-08-2019 at 01:25 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Rush For This Useful Post:

dsheehan (24-08-2019),London Scouter (23-08-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Rush View Post
    Some of the items have also got the year on them - they're clearly hoping that people (some would call them mugs, but I would never do that) will buy them year after year and probably only wear each of them once...
    This particularly annoyed me when I saw it. Unsurprisingly, a generic badge that could be bought once is over twice the price of the dated one!!

I was going to buy all our members one to show support and as appreciation of their attendance at Remembrance Sunday Parade (we used to use the Scout Memorial "Lest We Forget" fundraisers for this). At 2.50 a head I'm less inclined to.
    --
    Dan Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group

District Training Adviser
    District Executive Member
    District Appointment Advisory Comittee
    North London District Scouts

web: www.9thmuswellhill.org.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill
    facebook: /9thmuswellhill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Rush View Post
    This year's efforts have improved the shade of red and changed the woggle to leather. They've also added more items: https://shop.scouts.org.uk/collectio...BERIBM,PJPGB,1

Nine quid for a scarf?!

I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with Scouting selling a "Fleur de Lis Crystal Glass Tumbler Set" and "Fleur de Lis Cotton Drawcord Bag" for Remembrance purposes, especially when they keep 50% of the profits. The rest goes to the Legion, but I think that if we're going to do this, we should give them 100%.

Not that they tell us what the profit margins on these items are, so we've no idea how much is involved.

Update: Scout Shops won't tell me the amount of profit that they make because "We are just not allowed to divulge this information due to company policy". I've asked them to consider rethinking this policy.
    Environmentally, is a 'use once' item of clothing justifiable either, when there is no particular reason for it being dated?