Thread: Non-plastic poppies

Thanks

Question Non-plastic poppies

We do a fair bit of poppy craft in our units before Remembrance, but we also buy wreaths and lapel poppies to support the RBL. We have become increasingly concerned at the small bits of plastic in the poppies which are discarded in large numbers about now. I know the current design can be recycled, but it's an entirely avoidable problem if there was a more environmentally-aware design. And lots (millions?) of folk don't keep one year after year. So could we, nationally, do better in the 21st century? I thought that there might be support for an all-paper/card poppy which biodegrades without harm (the harpoon shape of the stem is a particular problem if swallowed by wildlife or grazing stock). I've written to the RBL but I'm just one voice. Is this something that other people might like to see too?

Thanks
    The RBL are working on a biodegradable stalk.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Epona View Post
    We do a fair bit of poppy craft in our units before Remembrance, but we also buy wreaths and lapel poppies to support the RBL. We have become increasingly concerned at the small bits of plastic in the poppies which are discarded in large numbers about now. I know the current design can be recycled, but it's an entirely avoidable problem if there was a more environmentally-aware design. And lots (millions?) of folk don't keep one year after year. So could we, nationally, do better in the 21st century? I thought that there might be support for an all-paper/card poppy which biodegrades without harm (the harpoon shape of the stem is a particular problem if swallowed by wildlife or grazing stock). I've written to the RBL but I'm just one voice. Is this something that other people might like to see too?
    Sainsbury's and the Royal British Legion run a poppy recycling scheme - all you need to do is take your poppy or poppies into a Sainsbury's store and put them into the special recycling box.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Executive Committee Member
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Keith For This Useful Post:

johnmcmahon (14-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,973 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Epona View Post
    The paper from the poppies can be recycled, and the plastic can also be recycled if collected separately so that it can be identified. But, even with millions of poppies sold, the volume of materials to recycle would be minimal. It would hardly be worth cleaning and switching on the shredders.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    I always buy the metal ones every year and wear them all on the parade.