Thread: Somehting for Scouts to cook??

Thanks

Somehting for Scouts to cook??

We've got a hole in the program, the plan is/was to do mystery cans, where you get some tin cans , remove the labels and the scouts then have to cook the contents.
    However this is very much a stand by activity, anyone got any better ideas??
    we will have access to the usual camp gas stoves and billys ( no wood available for fires )

Thanks
    How about 'I'm A Scout, Get Me Out Of Here' challenges where they have to do challenges to win food items to cook. Look up minute to win it on youtube for ideas for simple quick challenges.

Thanks
    Rather than just heat something up, bake bread, make a cake. Even something just a little off ordinary, such as Persian rice.
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun...
    GSL 1st Aylburton & Lydney, TA, ESL(YL), District Campsite Warden & webmanager .....only 1 hour a week, they said (not pointing out that was what was left)

Thanks
    I tend to ask scouts then adapt. So baked beans will be cooking from scratch and not just opening a tin. The same with tomato soup. Ice cream will involve ice and salt to rapidly freeze flavoured milk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Curry Night?

We challenged our Scouts to cook a simple Sweet Potato & Chick Pea Curry using gas stoves, in their patrols, to feed themselves and to be judged by the Leaders (with points added for good food prep/cleanliness/tidying away etc).

Adapted the recipe here a little for numbers etc. https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/sweet_potato_and_68565

Filled an evening nicely. Results were (surprisingly?) tasty, no danger of food poisoning from under-cooked meat so they could be left to their own devices, keeping an eye on knife skills etc. Lessons learned about properly frying off spices before adding ingredients (but not burning them) to enhance the flavours and so on.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,167 Posts
    You could do a Ready Steady Cook night. Give them a bag of ingredients, then have a "store cupboard" of herbs, spices, and rice/pasta/potatoes and away they go. Though I'm an explorer leader so mine may be more keen to try anything, while younger ones might need the helping hand of a recipe.

I'll second the curry night.

Or can you lay your hands on some trangias? maybe have a practice "hike cooking", or testing hike food type things? Though what's nice in a cosy hut when you've had dinner already, and what's nice when you've been hiking for hours...
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    I was thinking of showing them https://www.facebook.com/banglarrann..._location=chat and say here are the ingredients cook it.
    Last edited by Sparks; 03-12-2018 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 747 Posts
    Boiling things in bags is interesting, or not as the case may be. (Boil in the bag apple tart and custard is visually arresting, but quite tasty never-the-less...)

We've also made jaffa cakes and most recently (for St Andrew's day) tried making teacakes (of the Tunnocks variety). That didn't work at all. I was all for squirty cream on an Abernethy then pouring chocolate over it. Another leader thought about using ladles as moulds.

That didn't work, but then, neither would my idea. (I couldn't get marshmallow fluff on short notice, the local tesco didn't have any - hence, the squirty cream, which basically liquefied after 10 secs of contact with air, never mind the melted chocolate.)

Thanks
    We have done the sweet potato curry a few times cooked from scratch except for canned chickpeas and it worked well tested first with exploreres using all the patrol for different jobs they also did chapatis and a quick mango chutney ##recipes from the BBC food site

Thanks
    I was at a wedding with my partner (Who is our ADC Scouts) and we were actually talking about potential Scout programmes whilst eating canapes.

We were thinking a fun activity may be to plan and make a meal (Either 2 or 3 courses) that could be eaten entirely on sticks (Either cocktail or skewer type sticks) and challenging the Scouts to plan the meal one week, and then prepare/cook/serve the meal the next.

My OH and I had great fun working out how you could serve Christmas dinner on a stick on the way home!
    I bat for both teams...
    Yes, i'm bi... organisational!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ker-stee View Post
    I was at a wedding with my partner (Who is our ADC Scouts) and we were actually talking about potential Scout programmes whilst eating canapes.
    While everyone around you slowly backed away...
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks

Somehting for Scouts to cook??

Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    While everyone around you slowly backed away...
    We didnít know anyone apart from the Bride and her sister, so we couldnít scare anyone away with the topic of conversation

(Much like when we went to Magicians wedding, but at least many people there were Scouty and would have probably joined it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ker-stee; 04-12-2018 at 02:04 PM.
    I bat for both teams...
    Yes, i'm bi... organisational!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ker-stee For This Useful Post:

ianw (05-12-2018)

Thanks
    One of the best cooking activities we did when I was a young leader was essentially Ready Steady Cook, but all were given quorn mince, an onion, a tin of tomatoes and a few other bits and had to make the most creative dish, no spag bol. We had burgers, "meat"balls, all sorts.
    Nyika (formerly Bagheera)

On hiatus.
    Archery Leader

Scouting for All and nobody left behind!