Thread: Minimum training required to lead a section (Beavers in this case)?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 746 Posts

Minimum training required to lead a section (Beavers in this case)?

Sorry.

I'm being lazy. We were discussing this last night, and as you might imagine, we were woolly on the details. There were those saying that you had to 'attend training courses' to do the minimum amount to lead a section. Is that right?

I thought it was all online and it was really only (as a minimum) the validation you needed to meet other people to sort?

It's the usual thing; people making a meal out of training (possibly over-thinking it all), and general confusion about exactly what is required.

Much obliged in advance.

Thanks
    Yeah, no requirement for face-to-face training (and even validation could be over the phone or by email if you particularly want to). Old adage of Learning Optional, Validation Essential comes into play.

As long as they end up having done Getting Started somehow you're fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    POR is clear, although there seems to be many local rules insisting that people attend training courses or complete training online:

POR 3.43 e: Training is not necessary for any module if the adult can demonstrate their prior knowledge and ability to the Training Adviser.

Paul

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulArthurs For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (05-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanks.

That's what I thought.

Thanks
    Face to Face training may not be required but I found it very useful to meet other leaders in the county and to exchange ideas and problems.

Thanks
    I should say, in the context that I'm asking, both people have been attending section nights for months, years even...

But yup. I'm a big advocate of on-the-job/actual-training-with-other-leaders. One of the people I was asking on behalf of has already asked if she can attend some Scout nights to see what we do from a scouting pov. She's a trainee primary school teacher so already well versed in crowd control/working with kids etc. I think she's looking for a wee bit more context for a potential leadership role at the beaver section.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    I should say, in the context that I'm asking, both people have been attending section nights for months, years even...

But yup. I'm a big advocate of on-the-job/actual-training-with-other-leaders. One of the people I was asking on behalf of has already asked if she can attend some Scout nights to see what we do from a scouting pov. She's a trainee primary school teacher so already well versed in crowd control/working with kids etc. I think she's looking for a wee bit more context for a potential leadership role at the beaver section.
    I usually try to encourage a new Leader to do a session with me in a small group for module one. They are able t do the training on line if they wish however.

I have never had a Leader who wanted training for module three although I think a few people have done the on line learning for that.

As Section Assistants do not need to validate module two and only need a discussion for module one I generally validate them for module one at the session and also encourage them to provide information about a meeting that they have run or helped to run. This means that they can leave my house having validated Getting Started.