Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home hospitality - what happened with you?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 747 Posts

Home hospitality - what happened with you?

Discovery 89, (in 1989) Held at Scone Palace near Perth...

Obviously, you want someone interesting to take home, but you don't want to seem too keen. However, if you're not forward enough, you'll end up with the person no other ****** wants.

I can't remember her name, but she was the most miserable Spanish scout imaginable, about the same age as I was (13-ish). And, she didn't wash or leave the house for seven days.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Discovery 89, (in 1989) Held at Scone Palace near Perth...

Obviously, you want someone interesting to take home, but you don't want to seem too keen. However, if you're not forward enough, you'll end up with the person no other ****** wants.

I can't remember her name, but she was the most miserable Spanish scout imaginable, about the same age as I was (13-ish). And, she didn't wash or leave the house for seven days.
    Never done a scout one, but one with our twin town, apart from when we went there the aforementioned sharing a room with a leader thing, when we had a German come to us, I was a dewy faced 15 year old, he was 21 and had a full and luxuriant beard. I think my elder brother at 23 took him down the pub. I don't remember talking to my guest much.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    We took a troop of Norwegian Scouts to our summer camp after Blair Atholl one year. (I know, that's a lot of camping to be doing, but they seemed up for it.)

I don't remember having a conversation myself with any of them, or seeing any of our Scouts doing it. I think because there was about ~eight of them, they were able to talk among themselves, so didn't really need to speak to us...

Anyway, Glen Wrath (now famous for it's eggs) was our destination. Really bad storms hit the area and our entire site got blown flat. Our 40/20 marquee got written off. At one point, the side poles started to snap with the strength of the wind on the sidings. All the while though, even as the top was ripped asunder (I'm not exaggerating), the Norwegians just kept on with their game of table tennis.

Then a wee bit later on we were evacuating the site, the scout van stopped for chips in Haddington (as in for the kids, not the van itself, it was a diesel) - and got broken into, half their bags got stolen - but were subsequently found around the town...

Maybe home hospitality isn't such a great thing.

Thanks
    We hosted a couple of Japanese Scouts after the UK Jamboree in 2007. They were very polite but really quiet as they knew very little English !

Thanks
    At Discovery 89, I had two Taiwanese Scouts in my patrol. I can't remember exactly why, but they got very huffy at one point and spent a day painting Chinese Hanzi symbols on parchment with the brushes they use...

I think Scouts from China were doing it during a cultural day/open day type thing we had, but not doing it right - and they became quite offended about it.

(I really wanted them to come with me for home hospitality, but they got picked by someone else. I was too slow. I think I still have my Boy Scouts of China Scout belt which I swapped mine for.)

Thanks
    Not scout swap but our eldest sons French exchange student was a disaster. Barely said a word all week and totally disinterested, just wanted to go out and find his school mates. We vowed not to do that with his younger brothers.

The scout we sent to hoho in Japan as part of the Korea jamboree hated every minute of it because it was in a non English speaking house on his own, and again it was the longest week of his life. In his case being in a pair would have made it bearable.

I know nothing can beat real life experience, but one of my sons best online friends was made through the physics stack exchange in India, personally I'm becoming great friends with an ex scout leader in Bangladesh who is currently standing in their general election. Extremely interesting guy. The relevance of exchanges may be reducing when it's so easy to be in touch with people who share a more focused interest across the world.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RisingStar For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (10-12-2018)

Thanks
    Prior to WSJ in 2007 our Area was looking for hosts for the two groups who were staying in Cardiff (Swiss and Dutch). We offered to accommodate a couple of leaders, as we don't have kids, and knew we wouldn't be able to take time off work. 2 weeks before the group arrived we were asked if we wouldn't mind hosting a couple of Swiss teenage boys, as they were short of hosts. It wasn't a big issue from our side - I think they stayed 3 nights, there were coach trips organised during the day for the Scouts + any of their accompanying hosts who wanted to go along, so I just had to drop them off and pick them up. We took them to the beach for a BBQ one night, and on the other evening there was a combined campfire with the Swiss. So they had plenty of opportunity to be with their mates, were very pleasant lads but I doubt they got much out of the experience.

On the other hand, when I was in Rangers, one of my friends hosted a Japanese guide. The group came on an International camp with us, then stayed with my friend for a week. Very quiet, not much English. A few years later my friend managed to meet up with her again, when she was on a Guiding International trip to Japan, they went to each others weddings and are still in touch.
    "Rach..... what do I do with the instant whip once it's boiling???"

AESL Phoenix (Afon) Cardiff
    SAGGA
    Birmingham Uni Scout and Guide Club (BUSAG) and SSAGO chairman many years ago....

Thanks
    In the mid 1980's, our group in Toronto, Canada made a number of exchanges back and forth with a group in Streatham, London. This photo was the family that hosted me and another Scout. Mitch & Cath were the parents, and Jason was the Scout (their oldest son). They we really friendly and very good to us.

Allan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ayates For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (10-12-2018)

Thanks
    In 1997, we attended Lough Dan in Ireland. A very memorable camp indeed. Not huge, and it was charmingly disorganised. Still, one of the best camps we've been to.

Home hospitality for us was a scout hall in Santry - a suburb of Dublin.

I don't think we actually met any Scouts who used the hall... Met a couple of leaders, but even they were mostly absent. It's possible they might have been away on their summer trip? But I may be remembering incorrectly.

A lot of memories from that camp... During our time in Santry, we visited the town centre, Dublin wasn't quite so busy then - but we let the kids away on their own, which in hindsight may have been a risk... Other leaders did the Guinness Tour, I had intended to be around generally for Scouts, (also don't like Guinness). But I didn't see any of them all day.

We also visited a swimming pool. It was a real experience, the lack of H&S was refreshing. The pool was so packed you couldn't swim a stroke, literally - it was a totalzoo and like soup. The kids loved it. At summer camp, the tradition was, on the last visit, for Scouts to line up holding hands and dive bomb the pool at which point the life guard would chuck them all out.

The life guard there just laughed.

SL 1st High Lane Scouts JeanieJ's Avatar
    Thanks
    We also visited a swimming pool. It was a real experience, the lack of H&S was refreshing. The pool was so packed you couldn't swim a stroke, literally - it was a totalzoo and like soup. The kids loved it.
    That reminds me of a trip to Gilwell when I was a Venture Scout. Must have been about '84. There were so many people in the pool, we realised that if everyone stood up in the water and ran round the perimeter in the same direction, a vortex could be created in the centre that we could all jump into. It was fine until the scouring action of the water started pulling the mosaic tiles off the sides of the pool! Ooops.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,733 Times in 1,480 Posts
    Again, like others, not had experience of a Scout one, but my son and daughter did hoho in Germany with school. One was okay, the other not so good.

I think it is a positive idea but perhaps it actually functions poorly in many cases, partly due to language difficulties.

On the other hand, my eldest went to Ghana, and stayed friends with people he met out there for some years, until the main contact died.

When some of my Explorers went to Mexico, half went on a bike tour and half did work at an orphanage. The ones who went to the orphanage had a mixed outcome, some loved it and made the effort, others didn't make the effort. Isn't it always the same?
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Always difficult to tell if it's just the kind of young folk our group attracts, but I doubt home hospitality is something they'd do. I think they'd host someone, but I don't think they'd choose to be hosted.

But then, I think maybe this is the difference. Back in the day, you just got told. I think it's fair to say, kids have more choice in what they do these days - or are at least listened to more. Sometimes this good, and sometimes this is bad.

Thanks
    Always difficult to tell if it's just the kind of young folk our group attracts, but I doubt home hospitality is something they'd do. I think they'd host someone, but I don't think they'd choose to be hosted.

But then, I think maybe this is the difference. Back in the day, you just got told. I think it's fair to say, kids have more choice in what they do these days - or are at least listened to more. Sometimes this good, and sometimes this is bad.
    I have a Chinese colleague who says, " Sometimes you never ask people what they want. You tell them what they want - democracy is over-rated." - He perhaps has a point
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    I have a Chinese colleague who says, " Sometimes you never ask people what they want. You tell them what they want - democracy is over-rated." - He perhaps has a point
    Its same old chestnut... How often have Scouts said no to something, but when you do press the issue, they end up enjoying it.

Not saying we should do that with brexit though...

Thanks
    Not saying we should do that with brexit though...

That is a question that should never have been asked. At least not to appease racists and right wing thugs.
    Ewan Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast