Thread: Anyone use waveapps or anything similar

Thanks
    Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,167 Posts

Anyone use waveapps or anything similar

Had to rebuild my home PC, and so it has Windows 10 and I would have to try and re-install Microsoft Money to do the accounting bits that I do. Now seeing as that became out of date some time in the noughties I think, it's probably time I had a rethink. I don't really need any of the history, though history is always nice, as our accounts are always incorporated into District, so I have starting balances from the start of this financial year.

Our District treasurer uses Waveapp. He's given me read access to the district account so I can have a look, and I've had a quick play and it seems to more or less do what's required. I'm thinking it might be a good solution as then he could have read access to our accounts, and do end of year type stuff without my input.

Has anyone else used it in anger? Any gotchas from a scout point of view?
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Have used it in the past, seems ok?
    Jonathan Bloor
    Escouts Team
    Group Scout Leader - 4th Ashby de la Zouch

Thanks
    It depends on what you need. I have looked at many software packages and most are very good at reconciling the bank account but tend to be focused on invoicing then payment. The problem is that although we have money coming in all the time, we don't issue invoices, and we often pay things without an invoice being received - I need 20 to pay for the swimming gala etc etc.

We found that at a Group level where we wanted integration with GoCardless, the ability to allocate receipts and expenditure to categories and to members and to help leaders manage their budgets, we had to create something ourselves. Which is really annoying but beats having 20 different spreadsheets scattered around.

I guess to answer your question about any particular app, it all depends what you want to get from it. If you only need the very basic of profit/loss and you do GiftAid from OSM then an off the shelf package may be enough. WaveApps i did try and it was no better or nor worse then many others but I did not see GoCardless integration of any form. May be I missed it.

Thanks
    if you're using OSM, then maybe theres no much point in it.

If you're not using OSM, then wave has the added bonus of integrating with Stripe. If you set up invoices, e.g. for subs or trips, parents could then pay by card online using stripe.

Thanks
    Well, just to report back, from a quick early play...

Executive Summary: If you want simple thing that lets you allocate all your transactions to things, this'll do it.

First to say, we aren't going to, or plan to, use it to generate invoices, or collect payments. So like a lot of software, we'll only be using a portion of its functionality.

Saturday morning I logged into my bank account, and downloaded a CSV of all my Explorer Unit's payments since 1/4/18. Then I uploaded that into Wave.
    I created a fair few Chart of Accounts, or categories, or buckets to allocate transactions to.
    It's got a nice filter and search facility on the transactions, so you can select, say, all transactions that are unreviewed and have "TPC18" in, hit select all, allocate them to the "Activities: Theme Park Camp" account, and mark them reviewed. See also "Subs", "SC18", "G24" etc etc.
    Then I had to go through what was left, where parents can't change their reference text, and all their payments come in saying "FROSTBOB".
    Then I had to go through the paying in book and split the transaction into the individual cheques within, you could allocate them to different Charts of Accounts. So if Smithy gave me a cheque for subs and TPC, I could split that individual cheque, and also split the other cheque from Bob for G24.
    Then I went through the cheque book to categorise those payments.
    Then I worked out how to set up a starting amount, so the report would tie up with the bank.

Went to the report page, and it showed me a summary of all the accounts. Looked nice, and just what the district treasurer needs to amalgamate us into the district accounts come year end.

This all took just a couple of hours. Which seeing as we've had enough transactions to have 17k in and 16k out, I was quite impressed by how easy and quick it was, especially the ability to mass categorise stuff.

Currently, really, it's not really doing much more than a spreadsheet could, but at least with this I won't get any formulae wrong.

Now, if I was feeling super keen, it looks like I could record a "customer" against each incoming transaction, but while it lets you report on the transactions by customer, and by chart of account, it doesn't display the customer. So while I can dump out all the transactions that apply to summer camp, it wouldn't automatically have nice names against it so I could see that Smiffy had only paid a deposit. I guess that might be where invoices come in, and you can mark in invoices as paid or something, but that all seems a bit too much like business.
    Last edited by ianw; Yesterday at 05:42 PM.
    Ian Wilkins

Thanks
    I imagine the invoice function would be really useful for groups who run things like hall hire, marquee hire, or minibus hire - I use it at work for all our invoicing.

Its probably fair to say that its nowhere near as good as Xero or Quickbooks... but it has the advantage of being free!

No need to download a statement and reupload it - you should be able to sync Wave with your bank account if you're with a major bank (dont know if it would work for the charity banks)
    Last edited by campwarden; Yesterday at 06:58 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

ianw (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    you should be able to sync Wave with your bank account if you're with a major bank
    My personal bank happens to be the same as the explorer's bank, and it decided to log into my personal one instead. To may hay while the sun shone I decided to do the up l download upload thing rather than try and work out how to fix which accounts it was finding. Fun and games!

Ian

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Ian Wilkins