Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The end of YouShape

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonhhjh View Post
    I'm still not entirely sure what Youth Commissioners are supposed to do on a day-to-day basis.
    The POR changes proposed for January, will change the definition of District Youth Commissioners and County Youth Commissioners to "Managers" (despite the fact that they are not the line manager for any adults).

Like many others, I don't understand what the role of a Youth Commissioner is.

Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    Youth have the enthusiasm and energy but I've always been surprised by the lack of imagination beyond the impractical and expensive, quad biking, camp in new York etc. I've also sat through a forum proudly described by the leader as youth shaped where she led through an entire programme and the PLs agreed it, though to be fair they were bereft of ideas. For those who do the challenge badges as part of the award scheme the forum needs some considerable guidance on how to create a supporting programme.

So I suppose I'm going with this is that a successful youth shaped section is likely to be just shaped rather than designed or fundamentally created.
    Problem is, there are only two types of activities they can suggest:
    a) Activities they have done before, and wouldn't mind repeating.
    b) Activities they have heard of and fancy trying.

That leaves hundreds of ideas they can't suggest, simply because they haven't heard of them. That's where the Leaders have to come in to fill the gaps in programme by introducing a range of different activities which the members may not have tried before.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fenris For This Useful Post:

daveh01 (12-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 751 Posts
    It's probably all moot anyway. As has been mentioned before, all this was doing was giving a label to stuff that was already happening - for all the usual reasons (but mostly to encourage more of it and to make us look hip and down with the young team...)

Beyond that, I suspect the idea of youth commissioners is just another part of the growing industry which surrounds Scouts these days. It's all part of the critical mass of the business.

That may seem cynical, because it is... Because I am...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

PaulArthurs (10-12-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith at 2M View Post
    There are however many leaders out there who do not subscribe to the theory. We all know who they are in our Districts...
    You need the leaders' backing anyway. What about the role of Patrol Leaders' training courses, which used to be run at District level, in cross-fertilising between Troops? I was asked to do the Patrol system at one, decades ago, so I got the PLs to share with each other what their role was, and what things they did in Patrols. The feedback I got from the organisers was a bit ambivalent, "That was an interesting way to do it". Not sure really whether they approved or not.
    SL, 11th Hitchin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DKRSL View Post
    You need the leaders' backing anyway. What about the role of Patrol Leaders' training courses, which used to be run at District level, in cross-fertilising between Troops? I was asked to do the Patrol system at one, decades ago, so I got the PLs to share with each other what their role was, and what things they did in Patrols. The feedback I got from the organisers was a bit ambivalent, "That was an interesting way to do it". Not sure really whether they approved or not.
    I'd say PL Training Courses/camps are one of the best ways of cross fertilisation. However, I suspect the Troops who would most benefit wouldn't even tell their scouts about it. You always have to be careful when running these events to never say 'this is the way to do it' rather 'there are many equally good ways of doing things, this is one.....' otherwise you run the risk of undermining their leaders. (even if generally your way is the right one!!!)

I tend to try and run YL training on a neutral basis suggesting many different ideas/ways of doing things although even then I've had negative feedback from leaders of other groups for 'putting ideas into the YL's heads'
    The Roman Empire did not become great by holding meetings. It did so by killing everyone that opposed their point of view.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Keith at 2M For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (23-12-2018)