Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: That one child - part 2

Thanks
    All three of my sons came through my cub pack, it was always made clear to them that one of the other leaders was there primary contact for anything other than what applied to the whole pack, and there would be no favours given to them. They had a great experience and most of the other cubs never realised they were my kids. I left all major decisions on whether they should come on camp, or be a sixer etc to another Leader who I could trust to tell me if I was over stepping the line at any point. It worked really well, shame they all hated scouts and left within a year of starting!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 751 Posts
    What we've noticed more often is, it isn't the parents that have the problem, it's other kids having problems with the leaders kids. The leader's kids are fine, but there is (or may be) a perception held by other kids that things aren't fair - even if they are.

One of the kids driven out by our bipedal aggravating factor was a leader's child, we know it was partially to do with who the parent was.

Thanks
    Don't even get me started on Jamboree selection. I took part on day 1 of 2 of our selection weekend - on paper it looked and ran really well with an extremely comprehensive and impartial points system across numerous bases over 2 days. The results were fed live into a master spreadsheet as the weekend went on which created a ranking. The raw top x candidates were known by the end of day 2 but the actual selections were not released until at least a week later. No explanation for this but I suspect a great deal of horse trading and result massaging took place in the days following the selection weekend to ensure various unpublished criteria were met and certain chosen members who maybe didn't perform as expected over the weekend actually got the place they had been promised. I did publicly ask for the raw data from the selection weekend but never got to see it. We never did see all the kit back that we loaned as a group to that selection weekend.

Rant over and back to the original question. I've seen plenty of YP though our section with their parent(s) helping out in various capacities, including my own. Never had an issue with favouritism, if anything, the YP who parents are leaders tend to get a harder time of it !

Thanks
    Thanked 2,762 Times in 1,490 Posts
    There was one lad got to three Jamborees... go figure...
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    What we've noticed more often is, it isn't the parents that have the problem, it's other kids having problems with the leaders kids. The leader's kids are fine, but there is (or may be) a perception held by other kids that things aren't fair - even if they are.
    Few weeks ago we did the giant battleships game that was in recent Scout magazine. All 36 cub names went in a hat so we could draw the first 2 “Admirals” who would select the grid references for game 1.
    I didn’t hold the hat or pick the name out, but first one drawn was my daughter. One cub did grumble that I had rigged it 😂
    Chris

Akela - 8th Mirfield
    Heavy Woollen District

Thanks
    My son explained it once. He knows what he is doing because he has to go on every scouting activity. He is the first Scout there and sets up. He is the last one there putting away and tidying up. But the younger one aged out of my troop two years ago.

I have purposely tried to stay out of both kids Explorer lives so they have their own space.

Neither kid got picked for jamborees. Nepotism does not rule here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Bartlett View Post
    ....... Never had an issue with favouritism, if anything, the YP who parents are leaders tend to get a harder time of it !
    One of my fellow leaders is never allowed to forget the time they decided that the best time for their child to "tidy a living room" (Home help badge) was on the morning of Jan 1st...... and yes, there had been a "gathering" the previous evening!!!
    Kate, CSL (and GDB(S))
    1st Weald Brook Scout Group
    Brentwood, Essex
    www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claire.shadbolt View Post
    My son explained it once. He knows what he is doing because he has to go on every scouting activity. He is the first Scout there and sets up. He is the last one there putting away and tidying up. But the younger one aged out of my troop two years ago.

I have purposely tried to stay out of both kids Explorer lives so they have their own space.

Neither kid got picked for jamborees. Nepotism does not rule here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My kid was the same he came on every camp we did between when he was 6 -11 and ended up with 96 nights away. Always the first on the site and the last to leave, to his credit he never moaned about it.