Thread: Pl / apl

Thanks

Pl / apl

Hi, we are splitting our young troop of 50 scouts into two troops of more manageable sizes from next week as I've now recruited more leaders. Our PLs and APLs are young mostly 12. We are having a PLs / APLs evening to introduce them to the role of PLs / APLs that they will have. Has anyone run a PLs / APLs evening and what activities did you do and what worked well? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    This what I have run on cub scout forum meetings for the sixers and seconders, it should work just as well for Scouts.

Snowballs – Write some topics on paper, scrunch them up and have snowball fight. When the whistle goes cubs pair up and pick up the nearest snowball to them. They then have 10 minutes to brainstorm and come up with some ideas. Topics could include:
    • What would you change about cubs?
    • If you could have a new badge – what would it be?
    • What theme should our next camp be?
    • What was the highlight of the last year in cubs?
    Diamonds – Ask the sixes to write out subjects and topics for discussion on 9 post it notes. Get the cubs to form them in a diamond pattern rating one in 1st place, two in 2nd place, 3 in 3rd place, 2 in 4th place and 1 in 5th place.
    Compare what each six ranks best and worst, and get them to put their case forward.

Thanks
    The key thing is to decide what you want and expect PL/APLs to do or be able to do. What attributes should they be displaying? Why have you picked these YP? What if they misbehave?
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Secretary and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @wnscouts

Thanks
    I would agree with Chris - have a clear idea of what you expect these young people to do (I would say not just characteristics but also the actual tasks they would be likely to be performing) and gear any night around building those skills specifically - make it clear from the off what is expected and any potential consequences for those expectations not being met.
    James

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dragonhhjh For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (03-01-2019)

Thanks
    Teaching leadership skills can be really invaluable. How do you choose a game, how do you explain it, how do you run it (consider when in the meeting the game will be played, what you want it to achieve, what are the key instructions the players need, what equipment, what refereeing is needed etc). What do they think makes a good leader? What jobs do PLs/APLs have in the unit? Are there any duties done on rota, and if so - are the PLs and APLs well versed in how to do them?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RaccoonSB View Post
    Hi, we are splitting our young troop of 50 scouts into two troops of more manageable sizes from next week as I've now recruited more leaders. Our PLs and APLs are young mostly 12. We are having a PLs / APLs evening to introduce them to the role of PLs / APLs that they will have. Has anyone run a PLs / APLs evening and what activities did you do and what worked well? Any advice would be appreciated.
    I have done a few evenings on decision making, although I do it with the entire troop, not just PLs/APLs.

Different types of decision-making: dictator ("I'm in charge, we're doing this"), democratic (vote), consensus (no-one strongly objects), delegate ("you're the expert, you figure it out"), and different scenarios, where it might be appropriate to use one approach instead of another (medical emergency, game to play, which way to go when you're lost, etc.)

How to resolve conflict: construct a scenario, such as "You're on an expedition hike, and the last leg is via a bus. You arrive at the bus station, but you're not sure which bus to take". In small groups (patrol is a bit big, 4 is ideal), give each person secret instructions. e.g. "You have done this loads of times before, and you're sure that you should take bus #4". The trick is to introduce conflicts e.g. someone else gets "You're the PL and you think that it should be bus #6", someone else gets "Whoever thinks you should take bus #4 is a bully", and give them 10 minutes to resolve the problem. (e.g. bus #4 and bus #6 leave within 10 minutes, and there is no other bus after that for 2 hours).

Who would you trust as a leader: on a scale of 0 (wouldn't rely on) to 10 (would absolutely trust and follow), how would you rate someone: i) who had done this before, ii) who had taught you to do this, iii) who was tired, iv) who was a bully, v) who made sure that they listened to everyone's viewpoint, vi) who was your best friend, etc.

Then use those results to say "You seem to think that to be considered a trustworthy leader, you should be [a good teacher, not a bully, ...]".

I do have some sheets for some of the above, if that would be useful...

Thanks
    You might find some useful ideas in this package: http://yates.ca/scouts/docs/PLTC.zip

Allan.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveh01 View Post
    I do have some sheets for some of the above, if that would be useful...
    That sounds interesting. Is there a Web link, or should I PM?
    SL, 11th Hitchin