Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other Home Skills

Thanks

Other Home Skills

We're going to run an evening on the Skills Challenge, which will include bases on the 'Home Skills' that are listed in the challenge syllabus. Some of these are tricky however to run in the meeting place but there's the 'Other Home Skills' option, and I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas which don't include getting them to do it at home!

This is the list from the syllabus and i've highlighted the ones we're going to cover:

Mend or customise an item of clothing. (We've got a load of spare, old badges and material in the cupboard which we're going to use to sew a badge on to something
    Cook and serve a two-course meal, for at least four people.
    Fix a puncture or a dropped chain on a bike.
    Wash up after a meal, making sure everything is clean and dry.
    Use a washing machine to wash a load of clothes.
    Iron your uniform shirt.
    Change a lightbulb, in a ceiling light.
    Set a heating timer and thermostat as needed for the time of year.
    Clean a toilet, hob or oven.
    Do another similar home skill.
    I bat for both teams...
    Yes, i'm bi... organisational!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 766 Posts
    Change the cover on a double duvet

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

ESL
    Thanks
    Wire a 13 Amp plug correctly and demonstrate that you know which fuse rating to use for different appliances.

Depending how much you trust them with wire strippers and pliers, you could either give them a pre-prepared piece of wire with the insulation already stripped back, or let them do it (so they learn not to damage the wire, leave too much bare wire, etc)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Davies For This Useful Post:

Ker-stee (03-01-2019)

Thanks
    I despair every time I read that list - how is 'make and prepare a 2-course meal' in any way close in equivalence to 'know how to set a thermostat' (which, by the way, should be set the same regardless of the time of year, that's kind of the point !)

I give the 'mend or customise a piece of clothing' a tick if they sew on their own badge(s) (so you could do this the week after you have awarded a load of badges, or just give them their next 'joining in' badge early if necessary).

Most, if not all, new plugs are not intended to be re-wired so I personally wouldn't go down that route.

Fixing a puncture is quite a good one to do, and seems to me to be at an appropriate level. You can re-use the same inner tube loads of times (just keep creating a puncture somewhere else!).

Getting different types of stains out of clothing could also be quite good (red wine, grease, emulsion paint, wax) and recognising which stains can be removed (and how) and which can't.

Let us know how it goes, this is a good indoor activity that I wouldn't want to use up a summer term evening for!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to daveh01 For This Useful Post:

Ker-stee (03-01-2019)

Thanks
    Load, wash and unload the dishwasher may be a bit simple. Perhaps throw in their some simple maintenance, e.g. salt and cleaning. (We donít have one at home so perhaps I am not best to ask.)

For this time of year - take down Christmas decorations and put them away carefully, ready for next year.

Connect the TV to the endless supply of gadgets that appear.

Cut the grass. Again that might be a bit easy - maybe de-weed it?

Flower arranging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveh01 View Post
    I despair every time I read that list - how is 'make and prepare a 2-course meal' in any way close in equivalence to 'know how to set a thermostat' (which, by the way, should be set the same regardless of the time of year, that's kind of the point !)
    I did think myself that some of the activities didn't seem to require the same amount of effort or time... Some seem much quicker than others
    I bat for both teams...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ker-stee View Post
    I did think myself that some of the activities didn't seem to require the same amount of effort or time... Some seem much quicker than others
    The requirement is to do at least 5 of the skills from the list so I don't see a big problem with all the skills not requiring the same effort or time.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thanked 2,065 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Maybe you could do some gardening skills at the hut. Seed sowing, repotting, planting out a potted plant, simple propagation like division. Spring is a good time for all of this.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    In the past I have sent home the list provided with a few tweaks and extra skills (including changing bedding, making packed lunch etc) and asked them to do five getting the parents to sign them off and taking photos as evidence. Like the idea of doing it as an evening though in future.

Thanks
    We decided to cover the Skills Challenge over a term and actively encouraged the scouts to do them at home, with some activities planned for nights in the hall.
    I wasn't sure if I could upload a PDF so I split it into 3 images instead (and the PDF just for good measure).

skills1.JPG
    skills2.JPG
    skills3.JPG
    Scout Challenges form.pdf

We actually ran this twice, once in 2014 and again in 2018, both times quite successfully.
    We run it as a competition, with 3 levels, each level worth different points (except for wiring a plug where it's either right or it's not).

Neil

Thanks
    I did do the thermostat one with my son when he was doing his Gold, as it required the batteries changing so he had to programme every day again from scratch - its a 7 day multi programme thing with different temperatures set for different times of day. Similarly when we did the ceiling light bulbs we did the bayonet ones, Edison screw ones, the push fit halogen (although in reality they are all now LED lamps) plus covered the issue of the landing light with a two way switch making it hard to be sure if its off. He did sort and wash a load of clothes, and then had to sort what came out into stuff that could go in the tumble dryer and what had to go out on the radiators. Who said leaders are harder on their kids!
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ker-stee View Post
    We're going to run an evening on the Skills Challenge, which will include bases on the 'Home Skills' that are listed in the challenge syllabus. Some of these are tricky however to run in the meeting place but there's the 'Other Home Skills' option, and I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas which don't include getting them to do it at home!

This is the list from the syllabus and i've highlighted the ones we're going to cover:

Mend or customise an item of clothing. (We've got a load of spare, old badges and material in the cupboard which we're going to use to sew a badge on to something
    Cook and serve a two-course meal, for at least four people.
    Fix a puncture or a dropped chain on a bike.
    Wash up after a meal, making sure everything is clean and dry.
    Use a washing machine to wash a load of clothes.
    Iron your uniform shirt.
    Change a lightbulb, in a ceiling light.
    Set a heating timer and thermostat as needed for the time of year.
    Clean a toilet, hob or oven.
    Do another similar home skill.
    I'm not sure why its hard to run some of those in the meeting place? Sure you probably can't reprogramme the heating timer (if you have one) 30 times... but:

Lighbulb - when we did this one we rigged up a board with a couple of light fittings, a switch, and a cable with a plug on the end. Probably cost no more than £10 and 20 mins to put together and useful for years after. If thats not feasible, then "wire a plug" would seem a similar equivalent and would be very cheap to pick up the bits.

Clean a toilet - easy enough to do assuming your hut has toilets.

Maybe "clean a window" - get all the hall's windows done in one evening

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post

Clean a toilet - easy enough to do assuming your hut has toilets.

Maybe "clean a window" - get all the hall's windows done in one evening
    Because we donít have enough toilets for each young person to clean one each, and the ones who got the Ďdirty toiletsí to clean rather than the Ďclean onesí would complain a ridiculous amount about how itís unfair.

The windows are all long, thin ones which are at the top of the wall so would require ladders as well as additional adult supervision, which we donít have. The windows also have bars on them, which would make it an even more time consuming task and we wouldnít get through all the YP.

We have already looked through the list and worked out which are viable in our meeting place for the number of Scouts we have, and the number of volunteers to supervise the activities that are going on. Itís also the case of trying to avoid bringing ridiculous amounts of our own kit from home (as I donít get home between work and scouts, so Iíd have to lug stuff to work first!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I bat for both teams...

Thanks
    We often do repairing a puncture as part of a cycle evening in the summer term. Halfords are usually a good source for inner tubes with punctures as they tend to replace rather than repair so have lots in their scrap bin.

I'd avoid wiring a plug as very few plugs are now designed to be removed. However a useful alternative would be the visual parts of a PAT test - Checking the cable for damage and checking the rating of the fuse.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick For This Useful Post:

Ker-stee (04-01-2019)

Thanks
    I've done this before and both times have been really successful.

What I did was email all the parents and ask if they would like to teach a skill for 15 mins, when not many replied, I spoke to the 'helpful' parents and suggested what they could run.

Successful skills that we've run:
    - Sewing on a badge (to a piece of material, rather than shirt!)
    - Ironing a necker and rolling it (make sure the parent knows how to roll it first!)
    - How to poach an egg and make toast (and wash up!)
    - Internet safety (examples of dodgy emails/websites etc)
    - How to change a duvet
    - Making an Easter card (not sure it is technically a skill, but I had run out of ideas!)

The advantage of having parents was that the Scouts were all amazingly well behaved!
    Paul

Scout Leader and Webmaster at 90th Bristol Scouts
    Member and Webmaster at Namaste Nepal SAS

19. The Following User Says Thank You to paulxb For This Useful Post:

Ker-stee (04-01-2019)