Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Other Home Skills

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    We often do repairing a puncture as part of a cycle evening in the summer term. Halfords are usually a good source for inner tubes with punctures as they tend to replace rather than repair so have lots in their scrap bin.

I'd avoid wiring a plug as very few plugs are now designed to be removed. However a useful alternative would be the visual parts of a PAT test - Checking the cable for damage and checking the rating of the fuse.
    My dad actually does PAT tests as part of his job so has the kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I bat for both teams...
    Yes, i'm bi... organisational!

Thanks
    I'd add 'sew a button' into the evening with the needles as a really simple and very common repair job.

Knowing how to do laundry seems to be something that eludes a lot of uni students, so perhaps they could at least bring in a photo (on their phone) of their home washing machine and be able to say which setting for a cottons wash (hot) and which for synthetics (cool), plus bonus points for wool. Could you put together some sort of card game to match Laundry symbols to their meaning (similar to the OS map symbols game)?

Knowing where fuse boxes and stopcocks are is a good life skill too. Could you poll the parents to see if anyone is a plumber or electrician? If so they probably have some good apprentice-level activities which they could teach one evening.

Buying a simple Ikea flatpack and getting them to assemble it is fun for an evening too. Maybe make it a patrol competition?

Thanks
    Thanks everyone, i'm going to stick with the three we'd already highlighted during the evening and i've put together a lit for them to tick off the two others they do at home.

I've also found a load of 'Problem solving' games and activities in my cupboard, so i'll take those along too.

I've also put a message in our group FB group to ask parents to make sure their children are wearing something under their Scout shirt!
    I bat for both teams...
    Yes, i'm bi... organisational!