Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Census

Thanks

2019 Census

In a previous role I used to receive annual census log ins and passwords in December to pass to Groups. Groups also got the info direct from HQ. This gave Groups time to see what 'tweaks' HQ had made to the proceedure and what info they wanted - like top awards last year.

Due to my current GSL having his email go down in November and it not being noticed until early December I emailed District personnel and asked them to forward any important emails to the GSLs new email address. I asked particularly about Census info as I knew it was due based on past.

I was informed that the census info had not been send to either Groups or Districts at that time (the District person is also a GSL).

I asked the GSL last night if the info was to hand as yet and informed 'NO'.

I have looked at the HQ Census site and it indicates that the log in details WILL be sent to Districts in January. I realise that the census date is three weeks away so there is time yet, but has anyone on here actually received log in details or are HQ just cutting it fine.

We are in the hope that there is no new info needed that we currently don't have as obtaining some of it is difficult enough without adding to it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb123 View Post
    In a previous role I used to receive annual census log ins and passwords in December to pass to Groups. Groups also got the info direct from HQ. This gave Groups time to see what 'tweaks' HQ had made to the proceedure and what info they wanted - like top awards last year.

Due to my current GSL having his email go down in November and it not being noticed until early December I emailed District personnel and asked them to forward any important emails to the GSLs new email address. I asked particularly about Census info as I knew it was due based on past.

I was informed that the census info had not been send to either Groups or Districts at that time (the District person is also a GSL).

I asked the GSL last night if the info was to hand as yet and informed 'NO'.

I have looked at the HQ Census site and it indicates that the log in details WILL be sent to Districts in January. I realise that the census date is three weeks away so there is time yet, but has anyone on here actually received log in details or are HQ just cutting it fine.

We are in the hope that there is no new info needed that we currently don't have as obtaining some of it is difficult enough without adding to it.
    I'm at group level but I know the district have all their instructions and deadlines etc ready to go with template emails and are just waiting on HQ to slot the login details in, so nothing yet.
    James

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Our County and District have heard nothing about this year's census yet either. I was asking as I need to know what questions we're supposed to be asking our members.

The help files on the census site have been updated with 2019 dates and suggest that it's no change from 2018.

https://census.scouts.org.uk/ https://census.scouts.org.uk/help?help=login

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Looks like the census process will still be asking for information on adult members. I wonder if at some time in the future TSA could have a comprehensive database that holds details of all the adult members (and associate members), and their 'live' roles etc.

Looks like Groups, DESCs, DSNCs and SAS Managers need to submit their data by 28 February.

Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulArthurs View Post
    Looks like the census process will still be asking for information on adult members. I wonder if at some time in the future TSA could have a comprehensive database that holds details of all the adult members (and associate members), and their 'live' roles etc.
    That would be useful, wouldn't it?

The fact Gilwell still ask for adults information says all you need to know about their faith in the accuracy of the data in Compass. Not sure how this tallies with their GDPR toolkit line of: "4. Accuracy – Make sure the data you collect can be kept up to date and accurate."
    James

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulArthurs View Post

Looks like Groups, DESCs, DSNCs and SAS Managers need to submit their data by 28 February.

Paul

I think that you will find that the 28th Feb is the completion date for the census.

That means when everything have to be all tied down and approved by County/|Region

Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb123 View Post
    I think that you will find that the 28th Feb is the completion date for the census.

That means when everything have to be all tied down and approved by County/|Region
    Yes, I'd guess some Groups will probably get told they've got about 24 hours to fill it in after getting the logins. </cynic mode>
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

PaulArthurs (10-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanks for the input. At least I know that we haven't missed it.

Looking at the info page it looks like most of the info required is the same as last year so we may have most if not all that info.

Thanks
    I asked our DC about this yesterday having presumed I had lost/ missed ignored the info. Nothing has been sent out but Gilwell promises it will be with everyone by Friday... apparently!
    --
    Dan Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group

District Training Adviser
    District Executive Member
    District Appointment Advisory Comittee
    North London District Scouts

web: www.9thmuswellhill.org.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill
    facebook: /9thmuswellhill

Thanks
    Don't believe the census has changed much, other than needing to now have a postcode, so you get it all ready in time.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonhhjh View Post
    Not sure how this tallies with their GDPR toolkit line of: "4. Accuracy Make sure the data you collect can be kept up to date and accurate."
    Surely using an annual census to cross check your data *is* ensuring it's is up to date and accurate?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nevynxxx View Post
    Surely using an annual census to cross check your data *is* ensuring it's is up to date and accurate?
    That's a fair point - I hadn't considered it from that angle.

That said, when Compass was initially launched with much fanfare in 2014, it was said that the old census system would no longer be needed and yet here we are 5 years later still using it...

https://members.scouts.org.uk/docume...rch%202014.pdf - "We are still on schedule and intend to have everyone on the new system by the end of 2014 so that the 2015 census can be produced from Compass."
    James

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dragonhhjh For This Useful Post:

PaulArthurs (10-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonhhjh View Post
    That's a fair point - I hadn't considered it from that angle.

That said, when Compass was initially launched with much fanfare in 2014, it was said that the old census system would no longer be needed and yet here we are 5 years later still using it...

https://members.scouts.org.uk/docume...rch%202014.pdf - "We are still on schedule and intend to have everyone on the new system by the end of 2014 so that the 2015 census can be produced from Compass."
    Yep, I remember, fun times!
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    There was meant to be several projects off the back of compass to do with census and data that never happened. Only because few people have pushed and moaned did census get improved to have individual sections and now postcodes as mandatory.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nevynxxx View Post
    As the census only records numbers with no names, then the chances of census being matched to Compass is very slim. I don't understand why Compass can't populate the census data. Now that adults are not paid for there is less incentive to check that people are not recorded on the Census twice.

Paul