Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Development of Scouting using Mapping

Thanks

Development of Scouting using Mapping

For those that don't know I like maps...

Have taken on the role to produce maps for development and growth, and looking to see if anyone knows of existing examples, that aren't just maps of group locations.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    What sort of thing are you thinking of?
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Secretary and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @wnscouts

Thanks
    I know the regional services team have compiled maps with various data if you weren't already aware - https://members.scouts.org.uk/suppor...91&moduleID=10
    James

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonhhjh View Post
    I know the regional services team have compiled maps with various data if you weren't already aware - https://members.scouts.org.uk/suppor...91&moduleID=10
    Already aware and it wasn't the RST that did the maps as they have no one who can (I know the person that did them) and know they aren't being updated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ASLChris View Post
    What sort of thing are you thinking of?
    Chris, anything development/growth related as know there are bits out there. But trying to avoid my own stuff from previous specific projects.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 739 Posts
    I would have thought that really you would need location date for exisiting youth and adult members and their Groups/Units as well as the same for people on any all waiting lists and be able to cross reference this with things like deprevation indexes or whatever the correct term is order to make much significant use of mapping in development work. Good luck getting that level of info out of Groups (although apparently the Census will be asking for post codes this year which if true may give you quite a bit of useful info)

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    I would have thought that really you would need location date for exisiting youth and adult members and their Groups/Units as well as the same for people on any all waiting lists and be able to cross reference this with things like deprevation indexes or whatever the correct term is order to make much significant use of mapping in development work. Good luck getting that level of info out of Groups (although apparently the Census will be asking for post codes this year which if true may give you quite a bit of useful info)
    You'll never get it, and GDPR would be screamed at me left right and centre, as well as most probably safeguarding.

You can do a lot of mapping without where the person is from though as groups already have locations and many will take from within an area. IMD areas are big enough to not really need people's details, as it wouldn't skew it hugely.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,762 Times in 1,490 Posts
    I once did a local survey when the DC was looking at trying to open Groups in every village. I took school pupil numbers, which are readily available, and worked out the rough percentage of members at existing groups relative to their local schools.

The outcome was a realisation that if the percentage participation was equal across the district, which it wasn't, then some schools would only provide less than one member per group. The big plan was abandoned in favour of supporting the groups that we already had... but that was a bit of a disaster as a plan too, because no-one wanted that kind of support, they just wanted us to create Leaders out of nowhere.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    That could be read as cynical Ewan!

My experience is that you have clusters in a town or area but do I target those areas where we already are established or the areas where there are no members....
    Jonathan Bloor
    Escouts Team
    Group Scout Leader - 4th Ashby de la Zouch

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 751 Posts
    To me, there doesn't seem to be much point in looking at this by number of kids interested, I think you need to look at it from the adult volunteer side of it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloory View Post
    That could be read as cynical Ewan!

My experience is that you have clusters in a town or area but do I target those areas where we already are established or the areas where there are no members....

Not intended as cynical. There was to be a ot of effort put into these new groups. The reality was that the available numbers could not support the creation of the groups.

We , at the time , had 60% of groups with less than three sections and several with just one section. Instead of focusing on rebuilding what we had, there were grandioise schemes to expand where there was no demand. It was, in part, an attempt to undermine one group in particular... Nothing is simple here, and if anyone was cynical in his actions it was the DC.
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

Thanks
    Ah, now I see, apologies Ewan.

Sometimes failing groups need to fail and then those who remain passionate can help to rebirth Scouting in that village or town - too much time from district teams is spent propping up groups that are going nowhere fast?
    Jonathan Bloor
    Escouts Team
    Group Scout Leader - 4th Ashby de la Zouch

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloory View Post
    Ah, now I see, apologies Ewan.

Sometimes failing groups need to fail and then those who remain passionate can help to rebirth Scouting in that village or town - too much time from district teams is spent propping up groups that are going nowhere fast?
    No apology required.

I absolutely agree. Where a Group has been struggling for years with a single section and no Exec, the best action for the wider Scouting community is to close those groups. It is difficult, because often the solo Leader has been doing their best but due to the nature of how we take on Leaders we often have people doing the wrong job.

So, the Leader who joins as an ACSL, perhaps at a fully formed group, may be excellent in that role. However, as the dynamics of the group change, maybe Leaders leave and sections close, that ACSL may still do his or her absolute best, but if he/ she is not equipped with the tools/ skills to attract new Leaders or build an Exec, then sadly the Group may enter a period of extended "stasis", which in turn, minimises the opportunities to rebuild the Group.

We are unfortunately in the position where, if key people leave, all too often their immediate replacement is one of convenience and is often inappropriate - with subsequent damage to the reputation of Scouting.
    Last edited by Bushfella; 14-01-2019 at 09:00 AM.
    Ewan Scott

Thanks
    Time for... “Super-GSL”

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garethhowell View Post
    Time for... “Super-GSL”
    Speaking of which, I saw a post on 1st FB about Milton Keynes District (I think) who are looking to set up a group to smash their waiting list - so some 500 or so YP across 24 sections!
    James

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonhhjh View Post
    Speaking of which, I saw a post on 1st FB about Milton Keynes District (I think) who are looking to set up a group to smash their waiting list - so some 500 or so YP across 24 sections!
    That will be watched with interest. That is a single group with as many members as some Districts. Possibly looking at 48 plus Leaders... One has to ask, if they can muster 48 Leaders for this super group, why do they have a waiting list? Surely they could find the same 48 Leaders and spread them across the existing Groups?

I seem to recall that Aspley Guise Scouts was effectively a super group. I seem to recall Steve Smith speaking of numbers in the 200 range. ( I may be mistaken)

However, their website is now five years out of date, which suggests a change in Leaership and possibly fortunes.
    Ewan Scott