Thread: Compass - adding under 18s

Thanks

Compass - adding under 18s

Does anyone have any real experience on adding a 17 year old (turning 18 next month) to Compass?

https://compasssupport.scouts.org.uk...lds-to-compass gives a very broad outline but I've heard of scenarios where the record has disappeared from the person needing to access it.
    James

Thanks
    I had precisely that problem. Because they were under 18 I didnít have accessto view their record, even though I had created it myself. Even after their birthday their record wasnítvisible and I had to ask our District admin to resolve it (no doubt Gilwellcould do the same).

Others on here mayhave more helpful advice but I suggest you donít start the process until aftertheir 18th birthday to avoid this situation.

Last edited by Glsg; 12-01-2019 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Formatting problem

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonhhjh View Post
    Does anyone have any real experience on adding a 17 year old (turning 18 next month) to Compass?

https://compasssupport.scouts.org.uk...lds-to-compass gives a very broad outline but I've heard of scenarios where the record has disappeared from the person needing to access it.
    I had them disappear when I was District Appts sec. The only way round it that I found was before I entered the new role I ensured that I had all the DBS info to hand and where possible the person.

Then entered the role with a start date of their 18th birthday and immediately from that record do the DBS via Atlantic and adding all the info. If the person is there for good measure get them to do the final bit too.

If they arenít there they will still get a log in to complete the final bit but if anything goes wrong you are stuck.

The record will then disappear until the role start date then in my experience it will reappear. Along with the DBS if that has cleared.

I have had GSLs and Admis do it this way too. Not sure about other Section Leaders and Assitants though.

Thanks
    Pop them on. They disappear.

Ring Gilwell and they shove them through to Atlantic

Do DBS as normal

Ring Gilwell when Atlantic says Result Received to check its ok

Works relatively easy (for an organisation focussed on under 18s which doesn't manage to capture easily those turning 18 and staying on.....)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to richardnhunt For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (13-01-2019)

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks

Compass - adding under 18s

I did one of these last May without any problems.

We had a YL who wanted to become an adult Leader when they turned 18 and wanted to participate in an expedition as a Leader just after their 18th birthday.

I added the 17yo to Compass with an adult role set to start on their 18th birthday, and then promptly lost access to their record (as I expected).

Their DBS went through to Atlantic automatically overnight and was visible in Atlantic the next day.

I then had the usual 30 days to complete their DBS.

I did the DBS as usual.

Compass automatically sent the DBS is cleared email to my Appt Secretary when it cleared a few days later.

I was able to access their record on their 18th birthday a few weeks later.

All worked okay.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richardnhunt View Post
    Pop them on. They disappear.

Ring Gilwell and they shove them through to Atlantic

Do DBS as normal

Ring Gilwell when Atlantic says Result Received to check its ok

Works relatively easy (for an organisation focussed on under 18s which doesn't manage to capture easily those turning 18 and staying on.....)
    They should automatically shove across to Atlantic overnight. I think the one I did did so.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

richardnhunt (13-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 766 Posts
    The only reason you would need to do this is if the under 18 year old is wanting to go on a Nights Away event soon after they turn 18. Otherwise I would just wait until they are 18 to process the DBS as its so much easier and doesn't cause an issues.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    The only reason you would need to do this is if the under 18 year old is wanting to go on a Nights Away event soon after they turn 18. Otherwise I would just wait until they are 18 to process the DBS as its so much easier and doesn't cause an issues.
    To be honest this is what I was thinking - I was just wondering if doing it early would be easy or cause too much hassle than it's worth, which it sounds like it would!
    James

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    This problem has been ongoing since we were all forced to use Compass.

I wonder how much longer it will be until this simple issue is solved. It is madness that the person who has entered the data is then deemed not authorised to see the same data.

Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulArthurs View Post
    This problem has been ongoing since we were all forced to use Compass.

I wonder how much longer it will be until this simple issue is solved. It is madness that the person who has entered the data is then deemed not authorised to see the same data.
    I agree this is bizarre.

I suspect this filter was put on to hide the under 18s loaded when all under 18s were going on, but now they have been deleted it needs removing.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

PaulArthurs (14-01-2019),shiftypete (14-01-2019)