Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Police called in after Scout group run from mosque is linked to Islamic extremist

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 775 Posts
    I think, for the most part, church people know that putting pressure on kids to attend parades etc is a futile exercise. All that ends up happening is, that it puts the kids off - I think folks get that this isn't good for future numbers on a Sunday morning, for the most part.

I suspect most sponsoring churches or leaders that want kids to attend parades etc do so because it looks good for the group, and you can't really argue with that, because it does.

As long as all the option are on the table, and no undue pressure is being brought to, then I think that's as good as it gets.

We used to run an overnight xmas party so kids would be around to deliver xmas post. However, farting noises and giggle till 4am was too much of a price to pay for full turn out. It's far easier to do it with half the numbers and a good night's sleep.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    I think, for the most part, church people know that putting pressure on kids to attend parades etc is a futile exercise. All that ends up happening is, that it puts the kids off - I think folks get that this isn't good for future numbers on a Sunday morning, for the most part.

From experience a lot of churches seem to be run by committees of people who are somewhat out of touch with the 21st century and still think that either:

- Scout groups are a religious based organisation and have the ability to force their members to turn up
    or
    - Young people enjoy church services that often haven't changed in content or style for decades and primarily exist to serve the local elderly population

They tend to be the same sort of people who think that those weird green teacups and saucers are more use in a village hall kitchen than a nice stack of clean modern mugs, and who leave little notes, laminated using sellotape, around the hall which end "By Order, The Hall Committee"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

Kastor (31-01-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    An example of a special circumstances which would allow a single gender Group with no provision at all for the other gender is a Group sponsored by a single gender entry school and only open to school members. We used to have a Group in our District based at a private boys school in Leeds and they met immedietly after school so only had members from the school. It so happens that the School has since merged with a private girls school and so now the Scout Group is open to both genders.
    Is it still the biggest group in the District, and have many girls joined since the merger? Other collegues may like to be aware that whilst the primary and 6th form parts of that school have mixed classes, years 7-11 classes are still single sex to my knowledge.
    Simba (my daughter wouldn't let me be Rafiki, and now she's a Network Scout & ABSL)
    ABSL
    Birstall Scout Group
    West Yorkshire

Thanks
    Thanked 1,136 Times in 757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mallett View Post
    Is it still the biggest group in the District
    Probably although there are a couple of Groups with two of each Section who may run them close. Its not too suprising they are a large Group though given all the kids at the school have to attend at least one after school activity and this includes Scouts (as well as sports teams, ATC, debate team etc etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mallett View Post
    and have many girls joined since the merger?
    I couldn't tell you how many girls have joined their Group since the merger but I have definitely seen some girls in their Sections on joint events

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with