Thread: Baked Bean Tin Can Cooking

Thanks

Baked Bean Tin Can Cooking

Hi

We are looking at dping some Tin Can Cooking nxt week with the cubs and scouts. Does anyone have a good diagram / guide that we can send home to parents regarding where to put the holes and the type of can to use (eg 400g baked eban tin)

Many thanks

del
    Derek Chambers,

Thanks
    Do you mean turning the tin into a stove or using the tin as a cooking pot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    We do pancakes on the top of the cans with a candle underneath. My experience is that it's easier to not ask parents to cut the holes and just do it yourself with an old knife you don't like very much. For pancakes, pretty much any tin will work, but we usually buy a few cans of potatoes from Aldi as backup in case any unsuitable ones turn up or any forget to bring one.

Thanks
    Yes, 400g bean/soup/whatever tin can, washed and label removed! I agree with Dr Pepper (whose cans are not suitable, being aluminium) that it's better to make the holes yourself, but best to get the Scouts to make them. It doesn't take long and is safer if you can get one of those old-fashioned things for making pouring holes in cans, which by coincidence I was looking for on Monday and couldn't find. But the can opener on my leatherman worked just as well, just took two angled bites to make each hole. Some parents will start bashing holes with a blade and end up with holes everywhere except in the can. You want three holes in the side of the can at the top, and three holes in the side at the bottom. Triangular holes so the metal can be bent flat against the can on the inside.

Pancakes we find difficult, hard to get even heat. Bits of bacon are good.
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

Thanks
    I found pancakes hard in the past as they dont get even heat. Have done bacon succesfully

Any other suggestipns ?

also any idea for vegetarians / kosjer

del
    Derek Chambers,

Thanks
    Honestly pancakes are dead easy, just stick the candle to the newspaper on the table with dropped wax, use a fair bit of oil and tell the kids to move the can around the candle so they cook reasonably even.

We also tried burgers once (mince that they made into pattys) but it wasn't very successful, pancakes cook a lot quicker

Thanks
    Nothing wrong with aluminium cans, they're a bit deeper in the middle and you even find that the best before date transfers to your pancake!
    The Roman Empire did not become great by holding meetings. It did so by killing everyone that opposed their point of view.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pepper View Post
    Honestly pancakes are dead easy, just stick the candle to the newspaper on the table with dropped wax, use a fair bit of oil and tell the kids to move the can around the candle so they cook reasonably even.

We also tried burgers once (mince that they made into pattys) but it wasn't very successful, pancakes cook a lot quicker
    Not sure I would use newspaper due to fire risk but depends on setup. We found it depends on the distance of the candle flame to the top of the can and how many candles you use, to get the right cooking temperature. After some experimenting we managed to cook pancakes fine, I like the idea of cooking bacon on a can, i think we will try that next time.

Adrian