Thread: Small campfire

ACSL
    Thanks

Small campfire

We have a camp coming up in a few weeks and are expecting around 8/9 cubs to be coming with us, along with probably a couple of parents. A fair few of these have not been on camp with us before and the ones who have are generally not the sort to be singing, shouting etc, when they know people can hear them.

I am more used to larger camps (At least 15+, last time joined by another pack on site of equal size) where at the campfire everyone can join in because they can hide behind the others, therefore everyone is louder and all have fun. However, I'm not sure what to do for this one. I have a feeling if we just do our normal style, no-one will join in much and it just won't work. Other than just sitting around the fire, having a few marshmallows, telling stories etc, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    Open closed is a good icebreaker - you pass a pair of scissors from person to person stating open or closed as you pass them. Open/close does not refer to the state of the scissors. open is when you dont cross your arm over the other to pass the scissors and closed is if your arm crosses over ie if your'e going clockwise if you pass the scissors with your left hand your open and with your right your closed, open the scissors or close them at random, it can take a while for the group to cotton on to the secret.
    Another good icebreaker I've found is called blanket drop, get two adults to hold up a blanket, split the cubs into two groups, get a cub to stand either side of the blanket and when its dropped the first cub to recognise the other and shout out there name wins. For songs I'd keep them light, my cubs used to like belting out Kentucky fried chicken and pizza hut, or even the Black Eyed Peas _ I've gotta feeling than anything traditional - )Our camps were always 60+ so camp fire was raucous and loud( we had three packs) but used to do sixer/seconder camps on occasion for about the odd occasion for around 20.

Thanks
    Split them into two and teach each half a campfire sketch. Something like "my name is Joe" works well. Also storytelling can be quite good with a small group, either you telling a story or others telling jokes etc. Veto any ghost stories. Mostly they might just like chilling out with a hot chocolate and toasting marshmallows and that's fine!
    Nyika (formerly Bagheera)

On hiatus.
    Archery Leader

Scouting for All and nobody left behind!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,046 Times in 1,192 Posts
    Maybe do you have any keen guitar players, maybe one of the dads? They could strum a couple of songs?
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Thanked 2,789 Times in 1,508 Posts
    8/9 is a small group for a campfire sing.

I'd start with Charlie had a pigeon. Then they can't say they can't sing.

Hello My Name is Joe

Black Crow

Alice the Camel

Just keep it short and simple. That's what I would do.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (31-01-2019)

Thanks
    What Bushfella said. Also take your cue from the kids -- if they don't want to perform, don't make 'em. If they want to run around in the dark (*away* from the campfire), have a wide game ready. If they want to do some stargazing, have a telescope and some starmaps ready. If they like wildlife, bring a bat detector etc. The great joy of having a small group is that you can customise your camp.

ACSL
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the ideas. It looks like we will be getting 11/12 coming now so not too bad.

We haven't done any sketches for a while so might be a good time to reintroduce a couple of simple ones, see how many can actually notice the joke.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any guitarists available at the moment. I got a banjo and mum got a ukulele for Christmas but I can't play either well enough yet, maybe for our next camp.

Depending on the weather, the site could be good for stars etc in one direction. We are on a hill will a great view south (ish), the rest is more blocked by trees. I did get a great view of the sun set reflecting of the Humber at low tide a couple of years ago, just when getting back from a hike. It was quite spectacular.

I think a few stories and marshmallow type treats are in order.

Thanks
    Well... Last week I had my 18 Juniors (Cubs) and I split them for Charlie had a Pigeon and I got my first ever complete refusal to sing - ever...

I was stunned.

I've managed to muster reaction in reluctant kis before and got them going, but this lot just were not having it at all.

Apparently they don't even do singing at school now! So they say.
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

Thanks
    Cubs singing - there's a thing. A couple of weeks ago, one of our cubs brought his trumpet along to demonstrate his musical prowess for his musicians badge Stage 1. At this level the playing was fairly tortuous but some of the tunes he delivered were sort of recognisable. Anyway, during his recital a tune must have been familiar and much to all the leaders' surprise the pack started to sing along. Can't recall them singing together for a long time. It was quite magical really. The young lad with his trumpet lapped it up and we all went home wiser and sort of satisfied.

ACSL
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Well... Last week I had my 18 Juniors (Cubs) and I split them for Charlie had a Pigeon and I got my first ever complete refusal to sing - ever...

I was stunned.

I've managed to muster reaction in reluctant kis before and got them going, but this lot just were not having it at all.

Apparently they don't even do singing at school now! So they say.
    Not had that yet, not sure what I would do if I did, probably just get the marshmallows out.

I have managed to get a possible guitarist, which is great. He was GSL of our group a fairly long time ago, including playing at a campfire with dad (CSL) so knows what it is about. Just hoping he is free at the moment.

Seems it should all work out fine in the end.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrad View Post
    Not had that yet, not sure what I would do if I did, probably just get the marshmallows out.

I have managed to get a possible guitarist, which is great. He was GSL of our group a fairly long time ago, including playing at a campfire with dad (CSL) so knows what it is about. Just hoping he is free at the moment.

Seems it should all work out fine in the end.

Tried again this week, got them into Hello, My name is Joe - but I think about half of them did the actions but refused to sing. It is really odd, because usually they all fall about laughing at the idiot leading the song, they just looked puzzled...

Maybe I'm getting too old for this ....
    Ewan Scott