Thread: Updated Aerial Runway Code

Thanks

Updated Aerial Runway Code

How do....In case this was missed. The aerial runway code has been updated. Of particular interest is the below.

Travelling block – this is a metal double pulley block which runs along the rope allowing the participant to move from one end of the runway to the other. Only metal double pulley blocks designed to carry a human. These should only have closed ring shackles to attach the seat and breaking lines, anything which has been adapted from another purpose must not be used.

This seemed to suggest to me that the requirement to use the travelling block specified by the old code (no longer manufactured, but still for sale in Scout Shops for a staggering 799) was no longer.

I contacted the activity team at HQ for clarification. This is their reply ... 'Yes, the travelling block criteria have been relaxed, this has been something we have been working towards for a number of years as the previous block stated was very expensive and hard to get hold of. The new code is more about ensuring that the ropes and travelling blocks are working together, therefore much more flexibility in product available. You may wish to choose a block and then find a rope which fits the criteria to match this or find a rope and then match the block'.

Good news eh! Well if you are into that sort of thing

NB main hawser must now be of synthetic rope, no minimum diameter specified, must not stretch more than 1.25% under 1000KG load

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigcheese For This Useful Post:

Airobat (01-02-2019),deekjcornwell (30-01-2019)

Thanks
    Interesting, hopefully it'll make runways a more practical proposition. Time to investigate ropes...

Thanks for posting

G

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcheese View Post
    This seemed to suggest to me that the requirement to use the travelling block specified by the old code (no longer manufactured, but still for sale in Scout Shops for a staggering 799) was no longer.
    It's that price largely because Scout Shops have always doubled the price that it's available directly from the manufacturer, Ansell Jones, for http://www.anselljones.com/rigging-b...manriding.html. If Scout Shops weren't so greedy it would be much cheaper (although still not cheap).

Travelling block – this is a metal double pulley block which runs along the rope allowing the participant to move from one end of the runway to the other. Only metal double pulley blocks designed to carry a human. These should only have closed ring shackles to attach the seat and breaking lines, anything which has been adapted from another purpose must not be used.
    But does anyone other than Ansell Jones make such a thing?

I wonder if they're thinking of somthing like the Petzl Tandem https://www.petzl.com/GB/en/Professional/Pulleys/TANDEM ?

NB main hawser must now be of synthetic rope, no minimum diameter specified, must not stretch more than 1.25% under 1000KG load
    Is the '% stretch under a 1,000 kg load' quoted for many ropes? If not, how would we know what to buy?
    Last edited by pstretch; 30-01-2019 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 775 Posts
    We still have our block and tackle for this, and I think with this change, they're good to go.

However, a previous cub leader cut our main runway rope in half for a gala float... He said he didn't know it was for an aerial runway...

People were a bit miffed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pstretch View Post
    It's that price largely because Scout Shops have always doubled the price that it's available directly from the manufacturer, Ansell Jones, for http://www.anselljones.com/rigging-b...manriding.html. If Scout Shops weren't so greedy it would be much cheaper (although still not cheap).

But does anyone other than Ansell Jones make such a thing?

I wonder if they're thinking of somthing like the Petzl Tandem https://www.petzl.com/GB/en/Professional/Pulleys/TANDEM ?

Is the '% stretch under a 1,000 kg load' quoted for many ropes? If not, how would we know what to buy?
    I've definitely seen one that isn't he Ansell Jones version (it was a bit wider, and the bottom was square, rather than triangular), so there's definitely someone else making them, though I've no idea who.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,136 Times in 757 Posts
    A sensible change given the availability of much cheaper smaller diameter ropes and pulley blocks which are apparently capable of being used for aerial runways (I have seen them being used successfully despite my misgivings about the strength of the rope when looking at it before use and comparing it to the huge diameter polyprop rope we use, which probably has an absolutely massive redundancy factor )

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thanked 2,789 Times in 1,508 Posts
    The rope specification is going to be interesting.

Is that stretch at room temperature... Watch Nylon/ Polyprop ropes sag in the mid-day sun. I have closed AR due to sag caused by high temperatures.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pstretch View Post
    I wonder if they're thinking of somthing like the Petzl Tandem
    I looked at that....but I found something a bit beefier made by ISC Wales. The 'RP076 Tandem Pulley (75MM wheel diameter)' which is for wire zip lines. The company confirmed that its suitable for synthetic rope. They do three sizes for rope 13, 16 and 20mm diameter. They don't sell direct but supply through Adventure Climb Rescue, based in Yorkshire. It will take karabiners plus other accessories and costs about 160. The versions for 13 and 16mm are cheaper. It seems a good option at the moment unless someone can advise differently?

1.jpg
    2.jpg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bigcheese For This Useful Post:

pstretch (01-02-2019)

Thanks
    I looked at that....but I found something a bit beefier made by ISC Wales. The 'RP076 Tandem Pulley (75MM wheel diameter)' which is for wire zip lines. The company confirmed that its suitable for synthetic rope. They do three sizes for rope 13, 16 and 20mm diameter. They don't sell direct but supply through Adventure Climb Rescue, based in Yorkshire. It will take karabiners plus other accessories and costs about 160. The versions for 13 and 16mm are cheaper. It seems a good option at the moment unless someone can advise differently?

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    http://adventureclimbrescue.co.uk/in...=Tandem+Pulley

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

bigcheese (02-02-2019)

Thanks
    I hadn't seen that option.......much better!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,789 Times in 1,508 Posts

1.jpg
    2.jpg

Do check the working load on smaller diameter ropes as well as the tensile strength.

Fortunately, we have the Ansells travelling block and appropriate hawser, and there is more than ample safety margin.

I have often thought that the AR Code was over-engineered given the kit that is now available.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Before i was a leader, we used to make zip lines aplenty as pioneering projects, as a Scout and a Venture Scout.
    Haven't touched them since. The aerial runway code is significantly different to what we used to build as a pioneering project, Tripod at one end, A frame at the other.
    A reasonably thick bit of rope strung between the two, anchored to a tree if available or a series of stakes on the ground and tensioned with a 3-2-1 pulley block or two.
    the running block consisted of a single pulley with the hook moused off with some twine and to that was tied a piece of rope and a small bit of wood as a T bar from which you grasped with both hands and dangled precariously on your journey down the zip line, most of the time it wanst that fast, but when they did pick up speed you would hop that it would stop before it hit the A frame at the bottom, if it was too fast then it was a case of letting go and dropping ( then rolling) on the ground

Had a few collapses, so soon learnt that the lashings and anchor points had to be good, had a few rope snaps, usually around the 3-2-1 pulley blocks complete in some cases with flying pulley blocks and a few other issues
    Escaped with a few cuts grazes, and bruises

Thanks
    I think the aerial runway code has been substantially the same for around the last 25 years as I can recall our Group buying the man carrying block when that requirement came in and that was back when I was a young Scout in our Troop myself.

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk