Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Requirement to have diffusers on light fittings? ( instead of wire mesh guard)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 847 Posts
    Digressing slightly...

I remember from the nursery visit, they wanted us to fit bespoke covers on the urinals in the boys toilets. They didn't say from where these could be procured, just that they'd need to be bespoke and cover the urinals.

They also did that thing about those plug blank thingies people get so exercised about...

They didn't say anything about needing plastic diffusers to stop molten, ummm, fluids from dripping down onto the heads of unsuspecting toddlers...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard T View Post
    Our HQ is illuminated with the standard flourescent tube lights, many years ago these had diffusers over them, however as the ceiling is relatively low these used to get frequently damaged, and subsequently the tube used to get knocked out where it fell to the floor and smashed ( usualy during ball games played inside with soft foam balls) this used to be a regular occurrence, they used to look like this ( before they were inevitably damaged/broken)

As a result the difuseres were replaced with wire mesh guards, quite some time ago ( 12+ years) similar to whats shown below and since then there has been no breakages of the light fittings

We now have a ( relatively ) new HQ management committee who have undertaken a fire risk assessment, and this is top of the list:

Is there such a requirement? I would assess it as a far greater risk from damaged fittings /lights as a result of a lack of guarding than from a fire which may burn downwards
    Not that I know of, yes I agree with you. If a kid gets hurt because they have removed the guards, to me thats a far greater risk.

Thanks
    We've got these ones in our hut - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...ngs/index.html (or similar to the third ones down) - they were ones that were being replaced after just a couple of years at work. (Put in and then we decided to have a suspended ceiling so taken out again - I salvaged them and got an electrician to fit them in the hut!). The metal diffusers avoid the flicker issue and also help protect the tubes from balls etc. Other than the insulation on the wiring inside, there is nothing obvious to catch fire and drip.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pepper View Post
    We have striplights as per the second picture and we allow hard balls in our HQ, so they are needed. No diffusers, that fire risk thing doesn't seem to make any sense but let us know what they say when you query it.

Does anyone who's suggested replacing strip lighting with LEDs have any links for practical easy replacement? We have 8 double striplights and of the 16 I think I've only replaced two Or three in the 9 years since installation, and our electric bill is minimal, so they would have to be pretty cheap to save money in the short term
    LEDs are a long term investment and will pay for themselves through savings in your energy bills over the years. Our local council has been replacing all it's street lighting with LEDs as part of an "invest to save" initiative as are most local councils and many many businesses too.

Our Church used a local company called LED Supply and Fit.

A few months ago I replaced all my Aunty's bulbs with LEDs - I think it was about 13 for a pack of six Philips 60W LED bulbs - and it's already paid for itself in savings.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Executive Committee Member
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    LEDs are a long term investment and will pay for themselves through savings in your energy bills over the years. Our local council has been replacing all it's street lighting with LEDs as part of an "invest to save" initiative as are most local councils and many many businesses too.

A few months ago I replaced all my Aunty's bulbs with LEDs - I think it was about 13 for a pack of six Philips 60W LED bulbs - and it's already paid for itself in savings.
    Yes but florescent bulbs are already pretty energy efficient. Though they do seem to be being phased out so the tubes are getting more expensive I think. The council street lights and I suspect most of your Auntie's lights would have been expensive filament bulbs that generate as much heat as light and are thus more expensive to run than fluorescent tubes and LEDs.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (06-02-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 847 Posts
    I remember triumphantly telling my mum, after about the millionth telling off for not switching the kitchen light off, that actually, it's cheaper to either not turn on a strip light at all if you can, or turn it on and leave it on if you know you're going to be return any time soon, because the main cost in terms of electricity is when you turn a strip light on.

She wasn't impressed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Yes but florescent bulbs are already pretty energy efficient. Though they do seem to be being phased out so the tubes are getting more expensive I think. The council street lights and I suspect most of your Auntie's lights would have been expensive filament bulbs that generate as much heat as light and are thus more expensive to run than fluorescent tubes and LEDs.
    The majority of my Aunty's were energy saving bulbs.

We once had an energy saving initiative at work which involved switching a large number of the tube lights off when not needed, and it actually ended up doing the opposite as they use more energy turning off or on then if they are just left on. We're getting a whole new led lighting grid installed soon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Executive Committee Member
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

Thanks
    We've just switched from what you currently have to LEDs. I don't know where we got them from, but I'll see if I can find a brand name on them tomorrow. Conveniently, the cages that we had fit around the new LED setups pretty easily.

Thanks
    We changed from wire guarded flourescents a couple of years ago after 30 or so years. Wouldn't give plastic diffusers house room - they become home to all sorts of things - dead bugs, dust etc. and falling off intact but giving those below a nasty blow. Beware the hype about LEDs. We replaced the flourescents to LEDs (35 of them - small units though). Received a constant barrage of complaints about dim lighting, flashing lights and broken ceiling tiles. We saved little or nothing on electricity and encountered much inconvenience servicing the units - replacing flashing units and cracked tiles. Failures may be due to the LED manufacturer but we were less than impressed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Well I challenge you to quantify that and prove that replacing striplights that aren't at the end of their life with LEDs is worth it once you've taken into account the upfront cost and the amount you need for them to be genuinely as bright as the florescent ones. Like I said our electric bill is absolutely tiny, even though we have electric heating, as it only gets used a few hours here and there. It's probably different for the council whose lights are on 12 hours every day.

Also I've seen no real-world evidence that LED bulbs Last much longer than normal bulbs, some of the expensive normal fitting ones that you buy now I've had die in a matter of months, plus contrary to popular belief LEDs can get dimmer over time, so I'd worry about buying big installations unless I could buy cheap replaceable bulbs for them.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr_Pepper For This Useful Post:

RisingStar (04-02-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,918 Times in 1,586 Posts
    Just wire up a few of these babies and buy everyone sunglasses...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/21-INCH-1...-bY:rk:21:pf:0
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    [QUOTE=pa_broon74;461839
    They also did that thing about those plug blank thingies people get so exercised about....[/QUOTE]

Don't get me started on those! I insisted on taking them out in our hut. I can't find the reference now, but at the time I tracked down an H&S Executive document that explained very clearly why they make plug sockets _more_ dangerous.

I had a hell of a job convincing other leaders that a standard plug socket is specifically designed so that sticking something it in will not electrocute you - you have to stick three things into at the same time. However, if you try to level off one of the pesky plastic covers they snap very nicely so that you end up with one stick poking in the top hole for you - now you only need to stick two things in the remaining holes.

They should be banned.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hippysurfer For This Useful Post:

boballan (04-02-2019),fenris (05-02-2019),pa_broon74 (04-02-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    The diffuser type shown in the OP is not particularly sturdy.

We replaced ours with these

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...o_2/index.html

They are much sturdier - and in our case where conedsation could be an issue they were corrosion free. They took kits from balls without breaking.

The critical thing is that the diffuser protects the tube and prevents broken glass from falling onto kids below.
    We had some of these at a miniature railway in the tea bar - the problem we found was that they got hot (well there was a cooker for the bacon butties) and the plastic body broke leading to one batten falling from the ceiling left hanging by the cable. The other problem we had at Church with similar fittings was the clips holding the diffuser - they became brittle with time and broke when you tried to remove them.
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesam3 View Post
    We've just switched from what you currently have to LEDs. I don't know where we got them from, but I'll see if I can find a brand name on them tomorrow. Conveniently, the cages that we had fit around the new LED setups pretty easily.
    We changed the florescent in our Hut to LED recently because we had a number of fittings that were suffering and we could not get sensible guards for them to protect from balls. The ones we got from Screwfix had integral diffusers so nothing that could fall out. I think they were https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-twin-...00lm-5ft/7223v
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    I remember triumphantly telling my mum, after about the millionth telling off for not switching the kitchen light off, that actually, it's cheaper to either not turn on a strip light at all if you can, or turn it on and leave it on if you know you're going to be return any time soon, because the main cost in terms of electricity is when you turn a strip light on.

She wasn't impressed.
    Start up current is ~1.8 times running current, lets assume for 3 seconds. So your mum is right provided she leaves them turned on for more than 3 seconds, otherwise you're triumphant.